Author Topic: Amano Shrimps  (Read 6307 times) 10 replies

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Amano Shrimps
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all
Just got new tank and am about to put some fish in. 4 Danio Zebrafish. Was going to just put a few fish in at a time and build up slowly. Other fish i was going to put in were 3 Cherry Barbs, 5 Black Widow Tetras and 1 Dwarf Gourami. Hopefully if I introduce these fish over about a 12 week period it will give the tank a chance to build up a good level of biological bacteria.
 Seems that ill need some algae eaters and seeing as my tank is only 70 litres was going to put some Amano Shrimps in. I wanted to use a Bristlenose but my 60cm tank is not quite big enough.
So are the Amano shrimps good algae eaters and if so about how many will I need for this size tank?
Thanks for any advice.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Amano Shrimps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
Before I mention shrimps, have you considered doing a fishless cycle? It is much easier as you don't have to do water changes to keep the fish alive, and you can add almost all your fish at once as soon as they cycle finishes. Details here
If you decide on a fish-in cycle, you will need to monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels, only getting more fish once both of them have dropped to zero and been at zero for a week. You can't set a time frame for adding fish; every tank is different in the amount of time it takes.

As for the shrimps, you don't actually need algae eaters, it is your job to maintain the tank so that algae doen't grow  ;D . But if you want an algae eater of some sort because you like them, that's fine.
Shrimps, amanos included, don't cope with ammonia or nitrite well so if you do go ahead with a fish-in cycle you will need to wait until the tank is well and truly cycled with no trace of any ammonia or nitrite. In a tank that size you could get half a dozen. They do need company and they don't add much to the bioload.

Can I suggest you get more danios and cherry barbs, they do prefer to be in a shoal. And I'd think twice about having black widows and a gourami in the same tank. Black widows are quite nippy fish and could pick at the gourami's 'feelers' (which are actually modified pelvic fins). If it was me, I'd get more danios and barbs and drop the black widows.

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
Hello Sue and thanks for quick answer  :)
I was going to clean algae  ;D but thought that algae eaters were necessary for any tank anyway. Plus I liked the idea of having some shrimps in the aquarium ;D
I`m totally new to fishkeeping and have been reading about every bit of info about this new found hobby (in fact it was my daughter who wanted an aquarium but as shes fairly young I thought id do some research into it to help her but have become totally fascinated with it all!)
Fishless cycle is something I had considered but am a bit lost with it all atm, I`ll read the link you included.
About the choice of fish. I really liked the Gourami and if its going to be picked at by the Black Widows then ill re consider getting one, thing is the Black Widows would look cool in a small shoal as well aahh decisions. Anyway thanks again for advice.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »
Fishless cycling seems daunting but having done both, a fish-in cycle and a fishless cycle, in the last two months I can assure you the fishless cycle is far less stressful (to the fishkeeper and the fish! :) ).

The fish-in cycle is probably a little cruel too because it's impossible to avoid the fish swimming in ammonia or nitrite, no matter how frequently you change the water. Not to mention the stress to the fish of having to endure frequent water changes.

As long as you have a water testing kit, (I bought the API Freshwater Master from Amazon @ £20-odd) and a source of ammonia (again bought from Amazon @ £5-ish), Sue's guide is easy to follow and you can be safe in the knowledge you're creating the ideal conditions before you add fish/shrimps.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 04:51:35 PM »
The problem with nippy fish is that they are worse in a small shoal than a larger one. Fish like tetras (and danios and barbs) live in shoals of hundreds in the wild. Some species have a hierarchy within the shoal which is maintained by nipping and fighting. The dominant fish wants to stay dominant fish and the subordinate fish want to take over. When there are enough of them, this aggression is usually (but not always) confined to just their species; when there aren't enough of them, other fish in the tank are regarded as part of the shoal and they get picked on as well. These nippy fish usually need to kept in a shoal of at least 10 to keep the nipping under control.
And then there are some otherwise non-aggressive species that just can't help themselves when faced with big fins, though that's usually with fish like bettas, guppies and angelfish rather than gouramis.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
I agree with Sue on two larger shoals rather than three smaller ones. I've made a poor fish selection after choosing a shoal of 6 x-ray tetra for my 55 litre aqua nano 40 after seeing them shoaling tightly at my local fish store. I think my tank is too small and unfortunately lost a couple recently. I now have x-rays that should really be in a bigger shoal in a bigger tank. I'm basically waiting for the others to die so that I can get more suitable fish.

However, having checked my stocking levels recently, I added 8 Pseudomugil sp. 'red neon' and they seem really happy in their new home. The larger number is much more impressive despite their looser shoaling arrangement. I'd love a dozen but don't have the space!

I love the look of Dwarf Gourami, but couldn't find a healthy looking batch whenever I went to buy one. They always seemed to look sickly, have a disease or there would be a dead one in the tank. The Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus is supposedly a real problems nowadays and I didn't want to take the risk. Honey Gourami are a stunning alternative and I would highly recommend checking them out.

What are your water parameters? The fish you've listed are pretty adaptable, but you may want to consider what fish would be best suited to your water.

With regards to algae eaters, I'm a bit advocate of a clean up crew! I have some Red Cherry Shrimp and Nerite Snails in my tank. The shrimps do a great job at keeping plants clean, while the nerites do a good job on the glass and decor. Nerites can be pretty expensive in stores, but if you search 'neritina' on eBay, there's a guys selling 5 for under £6 delivered, bargain! Don't forget to wait a little while for the tank to mature so that the shrimp and snails actually have something to eat!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
Oh yeah, and fishless cycling is the way to go. You can add more fish more quickly, safe in the knowledge that they will not be subjected to raised ammonia and nitrite levels.

You can spend the time while cycling deciding on you aquascape...

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline justin

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 10:28:27 PM »
Thanks for response everyone, nice forum here with lots of good advice.

My tank specs and layout are as follows;

60 cm, 70 litres.

Have LCD lights so will have to use artificial plants (don't swear at me  :-[) Thing is I didn't really consider the plant option until I bought my tank so kind of stuck with the lcd`s. Look nice though and low power supply.

Undergravel filter, not powerhead just standard airstone.

100w heater, set to 28. Constant thermometer reading of 24.

Water PH is just under 8, seems to be sitting at an average of between 7.5 and 8.
Will be using bogwood, nice effect and should suck up some of that ph?

Also a couple of pieces of dark slate.

Will take out the Black widows and go for around 10 Danios. And 5 Cherry Barbs. Also 6 shrimps in time. Puts me over by around 7% according to community creator...would that be a biggy ?

Just wonder if it would look less interesting with only 2 types of shoals though?
What do you think??

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 12:33:01 PM »
One thing you could try, if you can find any - leopard danios are the same species as zebra danios so they would consider themselves as part of the same shoal. This would increase the visual variety while still having a big enough shoal. Perhaps get 4 zebras and 4 leopards?
And I've seen albino cherry barbs as my local branch of Maidenhead Aquatics, if there is one near you. They could be mixed with red cherry barbs as they are the same species.

Going over 100% in the community creator means you will have to keep on top of your water changes. If you do that, there should be no problem.

If you have an undergravel filter live plants are not recommended as the water flow through the gravel disturbs the roots. I had fake plants for years, I've only recently got into live ones. If you want to try live plants later, the best choice would be java fern or anubias (several species) because they are grown attached to decor rather than planted in the gravel. And they are fine with undergravels. And don't need strong light.

Re the pH, it depends on how hard your water is. There are two types of hardness.
General hardness, or GH, is what causes limescale in the kettle or showerhead. This is what websites mean when they say this fish needs soft water or that fish needs hard water. You can usually find the hardness of your tapwater somewhere on your water company's website.
The other hardness is carbonate hardness, or KH. Usually, if GH is high, so is KH and vice versa. KH doesn't affect the fish directly, unlike GH, but it does affect pH. Carbonate reatcs with acids to keep the pH stable. If there is a lot of carbonate in the water it is very difficult to change the pH, while with low carbonate it is easy to change the pH.
The first thing to do is look at your water company's website to see if you have hard, soft or middling water. If it is hard, adding wood probably won't have much impact on your pH.
But zebra danios are fine up to pH 8 and hard water, as are cherry barbs.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:31:29 AM »
Just realised I forgot to say last time -

Don't worry too much about the pH. Hardness, GH to be precise, is more important than pH. I have pH 7.5 but soft water. I can keep soft water fish that prefer acid water better than fish that prefer high pH and hard water.

Use bogwood by all means, even if it does nothing to the pH it looks nice. But soak it first or the tank will look like tea. And other types of wood need to be soaked to make them sink. One piece of my redmoor wood took 3 weeks to sink........

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 04:14:54 PM »
I boiled my bogwood to speed up the soaking process and remove a lot of the tanins. Just a quick tip  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Amano Shrimps"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 07:25:05 PM
by TigzFish
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish
15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
by ColinB
29 Replies
Last post March 28, 2015, 01:01:28 PM
by Sanjo
2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 01:50:05 PM
by Sanjo
4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2015, 09:41:03 PM
by Dominika
32 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 11:42:08 AM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: