Advice Required: Tetras Fighting; String Algae; Shrimp Hiding?

Author Topic: Advice required: tetras fighting; string algae; shrimp hiding?  (Read 3071 times) 2 replies

Offline Redbelly

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Evening All,

I hope you've all had a nice Easter.

Thank you all for your previous advice on my aquarium and since i was last on here things have been going well BUT just recently I have had a few issues which i was hoping you could give me some advice on.... Firstly, in my aquarium I have 5 x neon tetras and for some reason they have all of a sudden started to fight between each other and i have no idea why ?
Secondly, I am having a string algae problem, everyday I have to get the net out and fish it all out but the next day its all back again, aargh!  I have ordered some excel online which should be here Wednesday but any other advice would help ?
Thirdly, to help with the algae i brought some Shrimp (ghost , i think)I put them in the tank on Friday and since then I haven't seen any of them (i brought 4) i'm aware that they like to hide but i have searched the tank by eye and can't seem to see them any where .

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Advice required: tetras fighting; string algae; shrimp hiding?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »
I have some black neon tetras, a shoal of 10, and although I've not had them long things have been quite peaceful. I'm wondering if it's possible that you have more males in your group, and they could be fighting for females. I'm only guessing though. I don't know if increasing the shoal size will help, and I'm sure that the more experienced keepers will be able to offer some advice.
Algae problems can happen when something is out of balance, possibly too much light, or possibly not enough plants to out-compete the algae for the nutrients. Manual removal of the algae is a good idea. You may want to consider reducing the light, and doing some water changes to remove any excess nutrients. Do you have a lot of plants in the tank? Do you use fertilisers? Is there any excess food in the tank?
As for the shrimp, it is normal for them to hide. Give them some time to settle in, they might be really busy hidden away somewhere stuffing themselves silly on your algae.  ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Advice required: tetras fighting; string algae; shrimp hiding?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 07:34:53 PM »
The neons might just have grown up and are now sorting out which is the alpha fish. But I also agree with Littlefish, more of them would be better. With shoaling fish 6 is regarded as the minimum number, with lots of species doing better with 10+.

Shrimps are masters at hiding especially when nervous, which yours will be as they are now in a new environment. As long as you haven't found any corpses, they should be in there somewhere. You will see what look like hollow dead shrimps; these are the moulted skins but it can be alarming the first time you see them.

Excel can affect shrimps so be careful not to overdose it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Advice required: tetras fighting; string algae; shrimp hiding?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
23 Replies
Last post September 11, 2014, 12:29:43 PM
by Puffin
5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2015, 03:21:41 PM
by Jwc
14 Replies
Last post May 04, 2016, 08:21:38 PM
by fcmf
14 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 12:10:31 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
by Redbelly
5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
by MarquisMirage
20 Replies
Last post January 26, 2018, 08:40:16 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: