Advice Please

Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 4024 times) 9 replies

Offline Short

• Tropical Fish FTW!
Advice Please
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
We have decided to get a small tank, for our child with special needs. Who love watching the fish. Looking at one 30-40 Litres, something like a Qubie 40 or Biorb flow 30?  But not sure if these are any good.
Would love advice on what you guys think we should get, also needs to be easy to maintain.
Also would like advice on which fish are easy to look after. Thanks

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 06:30:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I'm a big fan of the AquaOne AquaNano40, which is 55litres so can accomodate a reasonable stock of fish and has a built-in filter compartment which is easy to work with.

I'd give the Biorb a miss - they're difficult to work with and quite limiting.

Do you know about cycling an aquarium? Read all about it here.

For advice on fish we need to wait until you've decided what size tank you're going to buy and what your water parameters (hardness and pH) are, as some fish are more fussy than others.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:02:08 PM »
I've got a LoveFish Panorama 40L from Pets at Home.

It's pretty good, although I bought a better filter than the supplied one (I've since discovered that some stores will swop for a different filter)

Bearing in mind that you mentioned special needs, the LoveFish  may be better as it has an enclosed hood with a feeding flap.

I've got very small fish, and think that they are fun and relaxing to watch (that's why I got it)  :fishy1:

BTW, Hello! This forum is great and friendly (I've only been here a little while myself!)

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 07:55:47 PM »
I'm a big fan of the AquaOne AquaNano40, which is 55litres so can accomodate a reasonable stock of fish and has a built-in filter compartment which is easy to work with.

I would second what Colin B has said regarding this tank, we have two of them. The filter is easy to maintain and a lovely tank overall.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:39:26 AM »
Bearing in mind that you mentioned special needs, the LoveFish  may be better as it has an enclosed hood with a feeding flap.

That's a really good point. The main weakness of the AquaNano 40 is the glass covers and the clips to hold them in place. Easy to drop and/or break.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
Hi Short :wave:

Welcome to the forum!
Yep! What Colin said, but it would also be good to know what sort of fish take your fancy too. Of course, that doesn't mean you can have them ;) but we will have a starting point after knowing your water conditions. For instance, do you need to have colourful fishies, or a larger one, or more small ones? How old is your child and what are they drawn to?
Everyone on here is friendly, and they will steer you through it all....happy searching!

P.S. Just as a BTW, do you know anyone with an already established tank? I was only thinking, if you did, it would help speed up your cycling, so it wouldn't drag on so much before you could get your own fish. It can seem like forever for small children.

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
I would really avoid a very small tank of 30 - 40 litres. They are harder to look after and the range of fish you can keep is extremely limited. A slightly larger tank takes up little more space, there is very little difference in cost and you have a much greater range of fish. Personally, I'm not keen on cube shaped tanks, since a longer but shallower tanks gives the fish a longer run for swimming. I have a Superfish Aqua Expert 70 which is only £79.99 from any branch of Maidenhead aquatics, complete with all equipment, including LED lighting. It's a very good economical first buy, costing less than most smaller tanks. It has a total volume of 70 litres, like all tanks the actual volume is smaller when you allow for gravel etc.

As far as fish are concerned, it's important to remember that almost all fish that can live in these smaller tanks are shoaling fish, they need to be kept in groups of at least 6. The big mistake many beginners make is to have either a menagerie (one of this, one of that, one of the other) or a "Noah's Ark"  (two of this, two of that. two of the other). In either case, the result is conflict among fish, either within the species or between species, leading to unhappy, sick and ultimately dead fish. If you do buy shoaling fish, then you would only be able to have 2 or 3 different species in a smallish tank. I imagine you would like lively and colourful fish. Many species of Tetra would be good, some smaller barbs etc, maybe male guppies. With a tank of 60 litres or so, a small Corydoras such as the Panda cory would fit in and are great little characters. Whatever, do NOT go to a fish shop without knowing what you want, otherwise you may be tempted by something like a Clown loach, a pretty lively little fish that looks great in the shop but will grow to a foot or more long and needs to be kept in a group of 6 or more!!! Check the fish profiles on the Thinkfish web site and use the community creator to make sure your choices are compatible and you are not overstocked.

Offline Short

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice regarding Biorb's and I will avoid them.

I do like the Aqua Nano 40, as the table we are putting it on is 50 x 50, so this would fit lovely. But unsure about the lid, that was a good point about maybe I should get one with a hood.

My little boy is 6 (non-verbal) but he loves colourful fish, he was looking at Orange mollies this weekend, and Male guppies last weekend.

Don't know anything about cycling Aquarium, need to do more reading and don't know anyone with fish.

Thanks for your advice, I need it.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
Molllies need bigger tanks than you have room for I'm afraid. They are quite big fish. Don't forget the ones you see in the shops still have a lot of growing to do. Platies might work though and they are just as colourful.

All livebearers (guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails) prefer hard water, and a high pH. You should be able to find your water hardness somewhere on your water supplier's website.
If your water is hard enough for them, I would strongly advise you to get just males. Livebearer females give birth to fry roughly every month, and the tank would become over populated very quickly. Even all females wouldn't stop this as females can store sperm for up to six months.

Cycling is the process of growing bacteria in the tank to remove the toxic waste from the fish. It takes several weeks to do this as the two species of bacteria are very slow growing.
There are two ways to cycle a tank. In order to grow, there must be some of their food in the water, and for the first species of bacteria this is ammonia. You can either put this ammonia in the tank from a bottle of ammonia solution, the process is called fishless cycling; or you can out fish in the tank and let them make the ammonia - called fish-in cycling.
The downside to fishless is that you can't get fish for a few weeks until enough bacteria of both species have grown. The downside to fish-in cycling is that you need to do a lot of water changes and the fish can get sick and die. You know your son; which would be more upsetting for him waiting for fish or having them get sick.

Here is some reading to help you decide.
Fishless cycling
Cycling with fish

The reason you were asked about knowing anyone else with a tank is that adding some of the media from inside their filter speeds up both methods quite a bit.

Offline Short

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »
Hi Sue

Think we have soft water.

Reading up on fishless cycles and cycling with fish. Thanks

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Advice Please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 11:11:09 AM
by Andy The Minion
23 Replies
Last post December 31, 2016, 02:42:20 PM
by animal_freeride
16 Replies
Last post August 04, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
by Redbelly
5 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
by MarquisMirage
6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2017, 10:02:43 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2017, 07:16:59 PM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post February 12, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: