Advice Please On Platys

Author Topic: Advice please on Platys  (Read 13570 times) 18 replies

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
Advice please on Platys
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,   I have five Cherry Barbs in my tank, and want to introduce more colour.  I am thinking of getting a few Platys.  I would like to know if I could have two or three male platys, or would they fight if there is no females.   I couldn't take more than four, and the females I believe are not so colourful.  Grateful for any advice, thank you.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Advice please on Platys
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
Female platies are just as colourful as the males - I had some years ago.
The downside is that they have babies. Lots of them, roughly every month. If you had mixed sexes you'd need 1 male, 2 or 3 females. With livebearers you should always have at least twice as many females as males, because males chase females constantly and can harrass them to death. With a larger number of females, each one gets time off while the males chase another female.

Your choices are
mixed sexes - and loads of babies every month
females only - but babies for around six months as they can store seprm
males only - but I have heard people complaining that a group of males can get aggressive towards each other.

If it was my tank, I'd go for females and leave any fry in the tank, don't try to save them. A few might make it but most will get eaten (that's why they have so many!). But read up on the differences between males and females before you go to the shop. A lot of shop workers can't tell the difference  :o

If you look at platies in the fish profile section, you find a montage of 5 fish. Bottom right is a female red wag; bottom left is a female yellow mickey mouse (the black patch near the tail looks like mickey mouse's head on its side). The other three fish are male. The one in the middle is a full tuxedo while top left is a partial tuxedo. I have no idea what top right is though. Maybe coral or washed out coral?
But the two females in the bottom corners show just how colourful females are.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »
Thank you Sue, that's very helpful.   I will take a look at the difference now you have told me which is which.  Perhaps I will go for the females then.   People say fish are relaxing, but I get quite stressed watching my male cherry barbs chasing the females.  I have two males and three females.  Wish I had only one male now!!!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
I had just two male platies - one got aggressive towards the other so I split them up. They then chased the other fish! Females might be best.

I also have two male and three female cherry barbs and there's very little chasing - but I do have lots of hiding places where they can be out of sight of each other round the back of bogwood, in caves (well - Dave the Tyrannosaurus rex's skull) and lots of plants etc. Perhaps this helps?? Dunno!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »
Hi Colin,    Thanks for that.   There is a bit of chasing going on with my barbs, but they have the place to themselves.  I have lots of weed and hiding places, plus some plastic weed, a rock with holes and a cave, so I think most of it is just playful.  Perhaps if I get something else like platys that will give them something else to think about !  Probably going to get a couple of ottos as well.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »
There is a bit of chasing going on with my barbs, but they have the place to themselves.  I have lots of weed and hiding places, plus some plastic weed, a rock with holes and a cave, so I think most of it is just playful.

Sex and food - that's all youngsters think about these days. When I was a young fish we had better things to do! etc etc  ;D ;D ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:25 AM »
Ha Ha.    Aah, just memories now then Colin.   Jealousy will get you nowhere.  Chance would be a fine thing in my case now methinks.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
Cinders, the way to tell male platies from females is by the anal fin, that's the one underneath right in front of the tail. In a female it is the normal fan shape - you can see that quite clearly in the 2 fish at the bottom of the photo in the fish profiles. The other three are male, but their anal fins are harder to see, the middle fish is easiest. In a male it is rod shaped (called a gonopodium), and he uses it to impregnate females.
You will read about females having a gravid spot - that is a darker area at the back of the abdomen where the babies grow. This is not a sure fire way - if a female is strongly coloured, the colouring will obscure it.

I have just noticed there is another small pic in the platy profile with two orange and white fish. That shows a male and female of the same colour pattern - male at the top and female lower down. You can see the female's fan shaped anal fin and the male's gonopodium (held close to his body) more clearly in that photo. And the female does not show a gravid spot.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:21 PM »
OK Sue,  thank you, I will remember that.  Hopefully going tomorrow to see what is on offer.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
Have been to MA today, and came home with three female Platies, two of which look pregnant, one yellow with black fins, one bronzey red with black fins, and a pale yellow with black head (panda), wagtails I think they were called.   Have tried to photograph them, but not turning out well at the moment.    I also bought a couple of ottos, which I am thrilled with.  They set to work straight away and are lovely to watch.  So many to choose from but I mustn't get carried away.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »
Your new platies sound nice  :D

The ones with black fins, especially tails, are wags. The kind with a large black blob with 2 attached smaller blobs near the tail (the one you call a panda?) are officially Mickey Mouse platies because if you turn your head sideways, the three blobs look like a silhouette of Mickey Mouse's head  ;D

Keep an eye on the otos because it is quite common for them to just die shortly after purchase. It's nothing you do, it's the way they are caught and transported. But if it does happen, you need to remove them from the tank as soon as you see them.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
Congrats on the new arrivals.... I'm interested to hear how your female platies behave.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »
Thanks Sue,  two of them are definitely wagtails, the lemony coloured that they told me was a panda only has black on its head.  It has a lemony tail.  Definitely not micky mouse.  Quite pretty.  The ottos seem fine at the moment, I was told how to acclimatise them, as they had been in RO water, so I took a while to do that, adding a little tank water every five minutes to get them used to it, and they seem fine.    I put in an algae wafer a few minutes ago for them, but the platies are going mad for it and won't let the others near.  Do you think I should feed them some more of their own food.

Thanks Colin, will keep you informed.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
I am going to try and post a picture of my platies.  First one in the corner of the tank so reflections, but at least you can see what they are like.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
Oooh I see what you mean by the panda! I've never seen that pattern before.

Nice looking fish  ;D

Platies are greedy fish, they will eat anyhting you put in the tank.

Otos may or may not eat algae wafers. You could try putting one in just before you turn the room lights out for the night. If they won't eat the flakes, I've read reports they will eat sushi nori. Or failing that, put a stone in a jar of water on a sunny widowsill and wait for it to grow algae. If you use several stones, roraing them between the jar and the tank, you should in theory have a constant supply of algae.

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 04:06:56 PM »
That's a good idea Sue, I will do that, thanks.  What a fount of knowledge you are !!

Offline Resa

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
Hi Cinders....and welcome,

Sorry for the late input but I have been offline for a while due to rustic phonelines and divine intervention!
Anyway, I see you now have your platys...and very pretty they are too :) I have blue marble platys and have been very happy with them although my tank has had loads of new additions in the form of their many, many babies! they breed ALL of the time...and then the babies start too :o I have been lucky and have a local shop that takes the babies off of me, but I don't think that happens often.
I like the look of your panda platys, I think I might have a look for some of those myself. :)

I also have otos....aren't they lovely? Sue is right, (she usually is) otos do have a tendancy to suddenly die on you for no apparent reason. It's to do with how they are handled after capture. If they are not fed properly before they reach the fish shop, they reach a point where no matter what food is offered to them, they are unable to start eating again. you need to choose nice plump looking ones or ask at the shop how long they have had them in stock in the hopes that they have had a few weeks in the shops tank and are eating ok. Obviously, this is not a guarantee as they may still last a few weeks longer once you get them home. I lost one of mine about a month after I got them. My others have since got very plump :D
By the way, you should also not have less than six of them....what a good reason to go out fishy shopping again ;D
I have a nice supply of algae in my tank now, which they munch on all the time, but I also feed algae wafers, mind you the platys and corys love those too.
They also like some courgette now and then. Take a couple of slices and put them in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to soften them, make sure they have cooled and drop them in to the tank. If they float, weigh them down with something, perhaps a small rock if you have any in your tank or a stainless steel fork.

Anyway, good luck with your tank, keep the piccies coming, please.

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
Hi Resa,  I wondered where you were.  Hope all is well now.   I am pleased with my platys, I really wanted a blue one, but when I went to get one I chose one I thought was blue but when they got it out it was a greeny colour, it was the lights that made it look blue, so I decided against that one, but wish now I had got it.   How soon do you think they will have their babies, they look quite pregnant actually, I have tried to give them some thicket and live weed, but I am worried that the others will eat them, or I won't be here to catch them and separate them.
The Otos are very busy at the moment, but don't know whether to get any more or not, as I don't want to overstock the tank.

Thanks for your advice Resa, I will try that with the courgette.

Cinders.

Offline Resa

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »
Hi Cinders,

Yep...just when you thought it was safe to go back on the forum...there I am! ;) Our internet connection is pretty flaky at the best of times and storms usually finish it off....and this was one humdinger of a storm! We have some really dramatic storms in the summer, usually at night then the next morning is beautifully hot and sunny again.

You will probably see babies in just a few days, and then again, and again....and again.... I wouldn't worry about not being able to save all the babies, I know it sounds harsh but you will end up with so many and if you can't rehome them somewhere they will seriously over populate your tank. Also, the babies are still very small and young when they start breeding as well!
If you can find anywhere that has the blue marbled platys, have a look at them, they are really pretty. I will try and get a reasonable piccie of mine and attempt to post it. Incidentally, the males and females of these are identical in colour with both being equally striking. It's just their shape that is slightly different, with the males being more streamlined and a bit smaller. I started off with one male and two females. I only have one female left of these three but I currently have around a dozen or so with the babies. I am taking some more to my LFS this week and will keep just a few. It won't be long before there are more popping out anyway. It's a shame I'm so far away, you could have had some of mine.

All the best
Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Advice please on Platys"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 02:51:22 PM
by Sue
Baby Platys

Started by Resa « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

31 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 02:40:16 PM
by Resa
20 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 05:55:45 PM
by Resa
11 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 01:34:57 PM
by graygang
4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 09:50:29 PM
by Sarah1988
27 Replies
Last post September 24, 2016, 09:52:09 PM
by fruitbat
0 Replies
Last post January 02, 2024, 06:52:47 PM
by [email protected]

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: