Fish Choice & Plans [BobbyB] - Advice Please

Author Topic: Fish choice & plans [BobbyB] - advice please  (Read 836 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Fish choice & plans [BobbyB] - advice please
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi again, so I'm now 'mid-fishless cycling' (thanks for the tips on which aquarium to buy - I've gone with the 80l Eheim) and am thinking about fish.  I'm planning a mixed tank of guppies, neon terra and potentially platies,  and a couple of questions spring to mind...
- I'm planning to buy all males (to avoid over crowding),  is that sensible?
- Can I introduce all the fish at once (once the fishless cycle has completed) or should I do it over a few weeks, in if so, how long should I leave between adding fish
- there appear to be different types of male guppies, but they all appear just to be named 'guppies'.  Do I need to get all the same type for the shoal, or can you get a mixed shoal.

Thanks

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish choice & plans [BobbyB] - advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »
Glad that previous advice has been helpful for your fishless cycling.

Your proposed fish are a mix of hard water (guppies, platies) and soft water (neon tetra). Looking back at your previous posts, your have water hardness of 14 German degrees / dH which Sue has helpfully converted to 242 ppm. Unfortunately, according to the Seriously Fish profiles, this would be too hard for neon tetras which require a hardness range of 18-215 ppm. However, the guppies and platies should be fine - guppies require 143-536 ppm and platies 10-30 dH.

An alternative to the neon tetras would be x-ray tetras which can tolerate a wider hardness range - 2-20 dH. If these aren't of interest, then there are still plenty of other fish options but that's the first which springs to mind.

Once a fishless cycle is complete, it should be fine to add all your proposed fish at once.

As for your other guppy-related questions, you might find this http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/poecilia-reticulata/ helpful as a starter-for-ten, if you haven't seen it already.

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
To add to what has already been said:

It's just the live bearers you need all males for.

You can certainly mix the different colours of male guppies and platie.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 04:26:14 PM »
All colour forms and patterns of guppy are the same species. Like chihuahuas, labradors and great danes are all the same species.
You may see fish described as endler guppies - these are hybrids of endlers and guppies. Most, if not all, of the fish sold as endlers in shops are really hybrids.

Here are a couple of links to give to some ideas
http://wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fwhardness.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/HardWatrCommTkStkMonks.htm

Check out the actual hardness requirements of fish on Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Tags:

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: