Author Topic: advice on stocking my tank  (Read 7586 times) 14 replies

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
advice on stocking my tank
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:02:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
my tank is well on its way into its fishless cycle so think its time i decide what to stock it with so would like some advice on what i have picked out so far.

the tank i have is the 46l Fluval edge and has around 41l of water once filled + decoration.

(Old idea)
1x Siamese Fighting Fish (male)
5x glowlight tetra's
5x neon tetra's
?x Japonica Shrimp
Maybe a type of small catfish any idea's or maybe black molly's if there is room ?

any advice would be great thanks  :)

water results are
 kh (6 drops) - 50-100 ppm?
 gh (8 drops) - 100-200 ppm

(New concept)

10x celestial pearl danio's
10x Sundadanio's
?x red cherry shrimp

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: advice on stocking my tank
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:19:42 PM »
Hi Luke,

Congrats with your progress so far in the fishless cycle.

I've had a very quick skim back at your previous posts to remind me what your water hardness is, and I see that it's very soft although you were planning to try some different options. What did you ultimately opt for (ie coral gravel, limestock rock, etc) and what are your KH and GH readings?  This is really just to check whether your current proposed selection of fish are still suitable for whatever your KH and GH readings are now, or whether you'd be best to remove any of the "hardening" decor.

Male bettas / Siamese fighter fish generally aren't good community fish ie they're better kept in a tank of their own.

As for 5 glowlight tetras and 5 neon tetras, I reckon these alone will overstock your tank or push it close to full stocking capacity. Have you used the Community Creator plus the Fish Profiles section? If you input your tank dimensions and capacity (41 litres), then add these fish in your proposed numbers, you'll see what the stocking capacity is. You'd be best with one of these two species, even if you can increase the number a little - they tend to fare better in larger numbers. [Edited to add: I've just gone into the Community Creator and both of these fish actually require a minimum tank length of 60cm, so your tank would be considered too small for them to fare well unless it's this length which I don't think is possible with that volume?]

As for the other fish you mention, mollies require hard water and a bigger tank. As for catfish, pygmy/habrosus/hastatus are probably best for your size of tank but you'd need to take into account stocking capacity (ie there may not be room for them).

[Edited to add, in light of above edit: You might be best to consider the micro species of fish for your size of tank eg ember tetras, micro rasboras, celestial pearl danios, microdevario kubotai, tiny cory catfish mentioned above - all are suitable for soft water. Endlers are suitable for hard water. All of these species fare best in larger numbers - generally 10+.]

Hope this helps.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 07:50:37 PM »
The problem with both Edge tanks is they do not have a big footprint - in fact the 23 and 46 litres have exactly the same footprint, the 46 litre version is just twice the height. They are both 43cm long x 26 cm wide.

Because of the footprint of these tanks, they can't be used for fish that need a fair amount of swimming room. Looking at your wish list, and then at what Seriously Fish has to say

Glowlight tetras - tank size 60 x 37.5 cm footprint, 70 litres
Neon tetras - 60 x 30 cm footprint
Black molly - 90 x 30 cm footprint

I agree with fcmf, your tank is better suited to the micro fish she suggests. A large shoal of one of these fish would look spectacular.

A betta is do-able with one proviso - the Edge is meant to be filled so the water is in contact with the top glass leaving just that small square of surface exposed to the air. Bettas need to breathe air, and they are not that bright so an individual might not realise where he has to go to breathe. The usual answer is to leave an air gap between the water and the top glass, even just quarter of an inch.
But apart from a snail a betta would be all you could have in the tank as they can take exception to any tank mates, and as bettas need warmer water than most other fish there aren't many other fish that could cope. Shrimps often turn into a quite expensive betta snack and fish small enough to fit would either be eaten or chased by the betta trying to eat them.

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 08:28:44 PM »
thanks for the advice so far by no means is this the dream list its just what popped out at me when i had a quick visit to the local shop.

the only fish me and the wife were dead set on is the fighter its too stunning not to have one  ::) however if its going to cause problems with having other fish then it will have to be scrapped, maybe you know of something else to have as a stand out fish ?

as i will not be able to visit the store for a few days could you recommend some shoaling fish that would work for me to take a look at i would love a tank that was busy but not overcrowded

and last off i will go test the water hardness levels again and edit the first post with the results when i can.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
Hi Luke,

as i will not be able to visit the store for a few days could you recommend some shoaling fish that would work for me to take a look at i would love a tank that was busy but not overcrowded

The recommendations I suggested above as micro species are all shoaling fish; I'll re-insert it here:

You might be best to consider the micro species of fish for your size of tank eg ember tetras, micro rasboras, celestial pearl danios, microdevario kubotai, tiny cory catfish mentioned above - all are suitable for soft water. Endlers are suitable for hard water. All of these species fare best in larger numbers - generally 10+.

Your options really are to choose whether you prefer the above shoaling suggestions or else the betta / Siamese fighter fish, and use the tank for whichever your preference is, or get a separate tank for each. If you did get a second tank, make sure you get one with at least a 60x30cm footprint and that will open up your options of choices of fish to have in it - the bigger the tank, the better the range of fish choices (and actually the easier to keep as water quality is less likely to fluctuate).

Hope that helps.

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
@fcmf thanks i have been taking a look at those after i last posted and yes looks like i will have to scrap the fighter till the wife lets me buy a bigger tank  :P

the celestial pearl danio you mentioned are stunning would i be able to mix these with another fish or just have the 1 type?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »
You could always get another tank, around 25 litres, and then get a betta. The danger is ending up like Littlefish with all her tanks  ;D

Most of these fish aren't in the profiles on here, so I'll give links to Seriously Fish.
A shoal of 10 to 12 of one of the following:
Soft water -
One of the Boraras genus. I have seen in shops B. brigiattae (chili rasbora), B. urophthalmoides (sparrow rasbora), B. merah and B. maculatus. The sparrow rasbora is often mislabelled as chili rasbora because they are orange rather than red and people will buy them if they think they're getting a red fish.
Ember tetra are recommended for a slightly bigger tank but as yours has more height than is normal for a tank this length, you'd get away with it. Light orange in shops but deep orange red once they've settled in. [Also in profiles on here]
Sundadanios In the profiles on here as Axelrods rasboras in the rasbora section. Not common but I have seen them a few times.
Celestial pearl danio aka galaxy rasboras. [Also in profiles on here]
Scarlet badis, one male and a few females. Read up on SF before committing to these. They are bottom dwellers which need lots of tiny live or frozen food rather than flake.
A small group of sparkling gouramis though as they are anabatids like bettas you'd need to leave an air gap. [Also in profiles on here]

Hard water -
Scarlet badis, as above
Celestial pearl danio as above
Endler's livebearer. males only or they'll overpopulate the tank in next to no time of you had females. [Also in profiles on here]

Then there are the rare livebearers such as Heterandria formosa and tiger teddies which both need hard water, though you'd need to source these on-line.

A small tank is do-able as long as you research before buying  :)

fcmf and Luke have posted while I've been typing. Cpds are retiring fish so I would get a sizeable group of those rather than a small group plus something else. A group of 15 to 18 would be fine in your tank. Or a mixture of 10 cpds and 10 Boraras brigittae.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »
Sue posted this time while I was typing, so I've deleted my first paragraph which overlaps with hers. :)

One point to bear in mind is that fish tend to display more natural/striking behaviour in larger groups. Therefore, as well as the micro species doing better in numbers of 10+ (thriving and living longer), having 15-18 as Sue suggests for CPDs is a better option than trying to squeeze in two smaller-sized shoals.

One point to bear in mind is that some fish can look dull in the LFS but colour up stunningly once settled into their home environment - YouTube has videos of different species of fish in action.

I've actually "resurrected" a thread about "endearing features of fishkeeping" - do have a look at it as it illustrates how different aspects can make fish "stand out" ie their behaviour can be more interesting than necessarily the colours.

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
@fcmf thanks for the post was a nice read although i now want tetra's even more, maybe its a tetra thing make me chuckle might have to start hinting about a bigger tank more often  :P

@Sue  if i was to go with a larger number Celestial Pearl Danio would i be able to add the smaller specials of catfish to with these ?

the other option you suggested was 10 cpds and 10 boraras would swapping the boraras for Sundadanio work?

and again thanks for the help sorry if i'm being to picky.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
You'll probably find that whatever species you choose will have its own endearing features, and very possibly ones like I and others mention in that thread. Also, the more of a particular species you have, the more likely you are to find these endearing features displayed.

Check out the Fish Profiles - select 'celestial pearl danios' and click on the option to add it to your fishtank. Further down on the left hand side will be the opportunity to add in the tank's length (43cm) and its volume (41 litres). That should give you an idea of what percentage of your stocking capacity is used, once you increase the numbers of fish in your tank. Do the same with the Axelrods Rasbora or the species of cory catfish suggested. Many of the smaller fish suggested are the same size as these, so this gives an idea of how many you could put in the tank.

Hope that helps.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 09:30:15 AM »
I don't want to muddy the water here (please excuse the pun!!) But would a female fighter be any more able to have other fish in the tank?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
Female fighters can be as bad as males, unfortunately. And again, same problems as males in that they need warmer water than most other fish can cope with full time; and suitable tankmates for an Edge would have to be small enough to be eaten or at least chased. And fish that are chased all the time get stressed, and stressed fish get sick much more easily.

A shoal of pygmy cories would take up about half your stocking allowance. This species of cory does need to be kept in big groups. And a few of us have found they just die for no apparent reason - I am now down to 2 pygmies and 1 habrosus cory (salt & pepper catfish on here). They should also be added to a tank after it has been running a few months, not immediately after cycling. Some species, including the dwarf cories, need a tank which has grown many different types of micro-organism, not just the ones that 'eat' ammonia and the nitrite made from it.
Of the 3 dwarf cory species - pygmy, habrosus and hastatus - pygmies are the ones you are most likely to find in shops.

Sundadanios are slightly bigger that Boraras brigittae - I've had both - so you wouldn't be able to have as many of them. But the CC says you could have 10 cpds and 10 Sundadanios, though it would be wise to get just one shoal to start with then add half the other shoal after a month followed by the second half shoal a week later. I don't like putting over 75% stocking in immediately after cycling, I'd prefer to add the rest once I know the tank is coping - ie no trace of ammonia or nitrite.
You will also need lots of plants, real or fake, and other pieces of decor as these small fish tend to be timid. If they know there are places to hide they'll come out more. In a bare tank, they'll all huddle in a corner behind the heater.

If this was my tank, and assuming soft water, 10 each of 2 out of cpds, B. brigittae and Sundadanios; and a few red cherry shrimps.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 05:22:29 PM »
Shrimps are a great shout... if day something like I'm starting to get a bit shellfish about this tank but...  :raspberries

Offline Luke

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »
@Sue would this be suitable ? also how many is a few when it comes to those red cherry  shrimp they look stunning btw will definitely be adding those.

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 06:50:21 PM »
Maybe a couple more plants, and if you can find any you like, ones with 'feathery' leaves. For want of a better description, those that look a bit like Christmas tree branches. They'll also provide a hiding place for shrimps.

Half a dozen cherry shrimps will be fine. If they have somewhere for the baby shrimps to hide (eg 'feathery' plants) you should see them multiplying. Adult shrimps also need somewhere to hide because they shed their skins on a regular basis and while the new skin is hardening they are very vulnerable. Hollow white 'dead' shrimps on the bottom of the tank are shed skins.
Shrimps need a mature tank so wait a few months before getting any.

One live plant you could look into is moss balls. They get lots of micro-organisms growing on them which are perfect food for young shrimps.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "advice on stocking my tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 03:24:51 AM
by Andrea
30 Replies
Last post September 03, 2014, 10:48:33 PM
by AndreaC
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
46 Replies
Last post August 20, 2016, 10:11:55 PM
by Matt
34 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 01:33:06 PM
by adenann
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
by daveyng

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: