Cycling My Tank

Author Topic: cycling my tank  (Read 2275 times) 4 replies

Offline sipix1

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
cycling my tank
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:02:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi sue , I need some help , I can not get my 245 liter tank to cycle. I have had the tank going for about six months and I still get a nitrate reading of 250. I have used filter start and I do a 25% water change every week . The fish are all fine they all look great and all eat up there food all the time. I have just added some  Seachem Matrix last week and there is no difference. So what can I do , this is the reading for the tank today , PH 7.2 KH 6 GH 8 NITRITE 1 NITRITE 250 Ammonia 0 . So is there any thing I should do . I have made sure that the test strips work ok .

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Neon Tetra (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Neon Tetra (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Panda Cory (6) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Swordtail (female) (1) - Kribensis (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: cycling my tank
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »
Hi, I have split this post from where you posted it (in Acronyms Used In Fishkeeping) and started a new thread with it.

Looking at your results, the two of concern are nitrite at 1.0 - this should be zero - and nitrate of 250 - this should be much lower than that.

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change? The only way to get nitrate down is by water changes. It is made by the filter bacteria and there are no bactera that grow in tanks to remove it so the only way to remove nitrate is by water changes.
For a nitrate reading to get that high it suggests your water changes haven't been big enough or large enough - it is usual to change at least 25% of the tank water every week, with bigger water changes needed for heavily stocked tanks.

You need to get your nitrate down by water changes. But with that high a level, other things that we can't test for will also have built up in the water and a big water change would alter the water too much and stress the fish. You need to start off small - 10% every day for a week, then 20% daily until the nitrate level drops to the same as your tap water nitrate.
These water changes will also help get the nitrite level down.

As a rough guide, nitrate should not be allowed to reach the tap water level plus 20, and the highest level will be just before a water change. You need to make sure you do water changes often enough and big enough to keep nitrate below tap level + 20.

Some fish species are very sensitive to high nitrate levels - including rams and dwarf rainbowfish.

There are now thoughts that nitrate levels above 20 ppm do long term damage to fish so you really do need to get yours down. But having said that, the UK (if that's where you live) allows nitrate levels of up to 50 ppm in drinking water, which does make keeping nitrate below 20 ppm difficult in some places.

Offline sipix1

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »
Ok , thank you sue , I am in the UK and I have been doing a 25% water change every week , the NO2 may be 0 but I use tetra strips so some times it may look in between colours so I have said 1 . I will try and do the larger water change of 30% today and see how it is in two days . If there is no change I will try the 10% daily for one week , and if that works I will go back to 25%/30% a week.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Neon Tetra (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Neon Tetra (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Panda Cory (6) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Swordtail (female) (1) - Kribensis (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »
The problem is that if you go back to what you were changing before, nitrate could well build up again. Once you get it down to tap level, I suggest you test for nitrate half an hour after a water change (to allow the new water to mix thoroughly) then again just before the next water change to see how much nitrate has increased. If it has gone up by more than 20 you need to do a water change big enough to get it back to tap water level.

After a few weeks of testing before and 30 mins after a water change you'll get to know just how much water you need to change to stop nitrate increasing.

The usual causes of increasing nitrate are:
water changes not often enough/big enough
too many fish
feeding too much
excessive use of nitrate containing plant fertiliser.

I don't know if you have any but live plants should also help keep nitrate under control, particularly fast growing stem plants and floating plants.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
You really need to understand cycling. Your tank is fully cycled. The reason you have such high nitrates is because you do not change enough water. You need to change enough water weekly to dilute the rise in nitrates.

For now, do a 25% change every couple of days till the nitrates are down to within double your tap water level.

Once the nitrate level is normal you'll need to change as much as it takes to stop it from rising again. As an example, if your tapwater nitrate is 20, when the tank is 40, change 50% to get it back to 20.

The fact that you're getting nitrites suggests one or more of three things... either your filter isn't big enough, or the tank is overstocked, or you're feeding too much... or all three.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "cycling my tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2014, 03:39:24 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 03:32:33 PM
by Alex_N
79 Replies
Last post July 12, 2019, 09:52:23 AM
by Nan
5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 06:47:08 AM
by LeakysLab
7 Replies
Last post May 22, 2020, 04:44:09 PM
by barneyadi
91 Replies
Last post June 28, 2020, 08:34:16 PM
by barneyadi
15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2023, 07:58:25 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: