Author Topic: Advice for a newbie please  (Read 26125 times) 46 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Advice for a newbie please
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Not really. Two reasons.
Some scouring sponges have detergent or an anti bacterial chemical added so you have to be careful the one you use doesn't.
Sponges come in 2 types: those that hold water inside them (reticulated [thanks to Steve for the word  ;D]) and those that allow water to flow through (open cell). Sponges used for washing things, be it bath sponges, car sponges or kitchen sponges, are usually reticulated. They hold a lot of water and you have to squeeze the sponge to get it out. Filter sponges are open cell, the water must be able to flow through them. If you dip one of these sponges in water then remove it, the water drains straight out without squeezing.

The sponges made by a filter manufacturer for a particular filter are usually expensive. But you can buy cheaper sponges, often for use in pond filters. The downside is that they will be the wrong shape so you have to cut them up. Use a poly-carb pad as a template.
If you do want to change your pads, get sponge that is finer than the ones already there, ie has smaller holes. The pads are dual function. The carbon removes some chemicals from the water (often benefical chemicals) and the polyester side traps fine particles which pass through a coarse sponge. Fine sponges are better at trapping these fine particles, and will also grow bacteria like the coarse sponges.

Offline Resa

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
Thanks Jesnon,
Yes, hopefully they will all be alright.  I think a bigger tank is definitely the way to go.  I can just see you now, house-hunting with 'The Boyfriend', secretly eyeing up the rooms for a space big enough for a new tank and saying, "I just don't think this is the house for us, darling" ;D  Good luck with that!  You need him to absolutely fall in love with a fish that can only go in a tank half the size of Seaworld, and then work down from there! ;D

Which LFS is it you say has been posting cories on?  I should love to look at their site and see them all!  I saw loads yesterday, some I had never heard of before. There was also a whole tank FULL of pandas, all bumbling about....how could I resist? ;)

Sue, I think I have got peppered cories, they were marked up as Corydora Paleatus.  I believe the S&P ones are called Corydora Habrosus.
I did check on several sites, and they said they were peppered cories but some described them as that but also known as salt & pepper ones....knowing me I have probably got some of both....time will tell, I guess.
They are all really sweet though.

Resa
  :)

P.S. It's very quiet in Colin's living room...I hope he's ok  ???

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:41 AM »
Resa, I thought I'd better check about the cories. In the UK shops often confuse salt & pepper with peppered. They look similar and the common name is similar, but one grows twice the size of the other. The bigger paleatus will be better in a bigger tank, while the habrosus are fine staying in your current tank.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »
Fluorescent strip lights come in 2 types (T8 and T5) with the T5s being better for plants. But you can't just swap T5s into a fitting made for T8s. You have to replace all the electrical wiring, ballast etc which is why Steve says it's better to get it right at the beginning.
It's actually  worse than that!  There are compact fluorescent and LED to consider too!  They are rarer, but you will find them in a number of new tanks. Not to mention some of the oddities like Metal Halide for salties! (but I'm not going to mention those :) :))

Sponges come in 2 types: those that hold water inside them (reticulated [thanks to Steve for the word  ;D]) and those that allow water to flow through (open cell). Sponges used for washing things, be it bath sponges, car sponges or kitchen sponges, are usually reticulated. They hold a lot of water and you have to squeeze the sponge to get it out. Filter sponges are open cell, the water must be able to flow through them.
Sorry Sue, but you have tripped my "persnickety pedant" switch. "Open-Cell" and "Reticulated" are two terms for the correct sort of sponge for our filters.  The other sort is called something else (closed-cell perhaps!)

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 01:06:41 PM »
Not really. Two reasons.
Some scouring sponges have detergent or an anti bacterial chemical added so you have to be careful the one you use doesn't.
Sponges come in 2 types: those that hold water inside them (reticulated [thanks to Steve for the word  ;D]) and those that allow water to flow through (open cell). Sponges used for washing things, be it bath sponges, car sponges or kitchen sponges, are usually reticulated. They hold a lot of water and you have to squeeze the sponge to get it out. Filter sponges are open cell, the water must be able to flow through them. If you dip one of these sponges in water then remove it, the water drains straight out without squeezing.

The sponges made by a filter manufacturer for a particular filter are usually expensive. But you can buy cheaper sponges, often for use in pond filters. The downside is that they will be the wrong shape so you have to cut them up. Use a poly-carb pad as a template.
If you do want to change your pads, get sponge that is finer than the ones already there, ie has smaller holes. The pads are dual function. The carbon removes some chemicals from the water (often benefical chemicals) and the polyester side traps fine particles which pass through a coarse sponge. Fine sponges are better at trapping these fine particles, and will also grow bacteria like the coarse sponges.

Confused. com.   Think i will stick to poly carbon pads

Offline SteveS

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 02:04:59 PM »
Confused. com.   Think i will stick to poly carbon pads

Erm... It wasn't my intention to cause, or add to, any confusion.  But carbon/poly filter pads aren't a very good idea unless you have specific chemical filtration needs.  These filters have chemical constituents that require replacing on a regular basis.  But sponges also grow bacteria.  By replacing these sponges monthly you are throwing away valuable bacteria and in effect putting your tank into a regular cycle. Just make sure you get sponges that are intended for use in an aquarium.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Sorry Sue, but you have tripped my "persnickety pedant" switch. "Open-Cell" and "Reticulated" are two terms for the correct sort of sponge for our filters.  The other sort is called something else (closed-cell perhaps!)

Now why did I think you'd told me the type that doesn't allow water to pass through was called reticlated? I've just gone back through all your posts and number 101 (counting backwards from the present) you did say
Quote from: Sue on December 21, 2012, 06:45:38 PM

Did you also know that synthetic sponges come in two types? There are those that soak up water and hold it and those that allow water to run through them. For use in a filter, it has to be the last type. If you want to use cheap sponges rather than expensive aquarium ones, not only do you have to make sure the sponge hasn't been impregnated with some sort of cleaning chemical, you also have to make sure it's the right type.

I seem to be in dictionary mode at the moment.  If you are looking for generic sponges, the technical term(s) for the type of sponge that Sue is describing is reticulated sponge.  Although sometimes it is called Open Cell sponge.  If you google either of those terms, you should find oodles of entries.

You quite clearly said that reticulated and open cell are the same thing. I just remembered it wrong  :-[ :-[ :-[  My appologies.

Oh, and since you posted again while I was typing, that earlier post is now number 102!

Offline SteveS

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:41 PM »
You quite clearly said that reticulated and open cell are the same thing. I just remembered it wrong  :-[ :-[ :-[  My appologies.

No Worries! ;)

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
Reas, you could keep the salt & pepper cories with Rafe and move the pandas into the biggert tank, once you've got it  ;D Cories are one of the few fish that are usually safe with bettas (not highly coloured, swim in different areas)

Oh, assuming your salt & peppers are the 3.5cm salt & pepper and not the 7cm peppered

Hi Resa, just to add onto what Sue has said here, I have 4 salt & pepper cories (1F 3M) in with my betta fish. My sister has named him Sammy :) He's never had a problem with the cories and he sometimes eats their catfish sinking pellets ... greedy!  :D

Offline Resa

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
Hi DJT,

That's useful to know...thank you  :)...
Yes, I have found that Rafe is rather partial to the sinking pellets that are supposed to be for my otos :D

Have you had your cories long?  Have you found them easy to keep?  I really love them, they seem to have such character, don't they?

Resa

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
Hi Resa,

Ive had my 4 cories for about 6months now. The get on great with my community, not had any issues, they do a good job at keeping the tank clean alongside my shrimp and otto's. Mine are great little characters, always on the move exploring the tank :) Ive had a new 200L tank set up 2 weeks now and intend to add some panda cories to it in the future too!

DJT

Offline Resa

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
Hi DJT,

Sounds great......piccies please? 

Yes, you really must get some pandas, they are just the best! ;D

Resa

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:41 AM »
Fluorescent strip lights come in 2 types (T8 and T5) with the T5s being better for plants. But you can't just swap T5s into a fitting made for T8s. You have to replace all the electrical wiring, ballast etc which is why Steve says it's better to get it right at the beginning.
It's actually  worse than that!  There are compact fluorescent and LED to consider too!  They are rarer, but you will find them in a number of new tanks. Not to mention some of the oddities like Metal Halide for salties! (but I'm not going to mention those :) :))

I think I'll try to find a tank that's completely right to start with ;) Is there any you can think of that are similar to the Juwel Rio 180 that aren't quite as expensive? I'm ebaying it but annoyingly all the cheap ones are the wrong end of the UK for collection! If I can't find one I'll get the Rio 180 anyway as I want something of a decent quality.

I'll post later with some ideas of what fish I might get, to get some feedback from you all. ;D

Tasha x  :D

Lake Tebera Rainbowfish (4) - Celebes Rainbow (4) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Platy (6) - Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »
Morning Tasha,

I'm researching larger tanks myself at the moment...my brain is cooked with different ones. :-\  The only good thing I've found (for me, that is) is the tanks seem to be a lot cheaper here than in the UK, apart from the small ones....25L-ish, which is odd.  Like you, I want to get the best I can afford that will last me and has a good build quality.  This fish lark gets under your skin, and you end up with more and more tanks or bigger and bigger.  I am aiming at having one large one and maybe keeping my 60L one going and using it as a quarantine tank for if I get anything new. I should hate to have a beautiful community just to wipe it out by a newcomer. Oh....and Rafe's pad too, of course! ;)

Once I have more idea of what I'm talking about, I'll post my findings.  They seem to have several on promo here, maybe it will be the same in the UK.  I'm sure though, that everyone on here will be able to help with suggestions for good ones....or ones to avoid!  :)
Still, it's good fun choosing everything from scratch. 
I used gravel in my tank originally, but I have changed part of it to sand.  When I get my new one I will have only sand.  I think it looks better and it is a must if you have any cories because of their barbels, and as you've probably realised, I LOVE cories! ;D  Also, I'm really in to mossballs...have you seen them?  My fishies all love them too.  They nibble stuff out of them and the cories perch on them.

Anyway, good luck with your search, and keep us posted! ;D

Resa

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »
Hey

So I've drawn up a little list of the fish I fancy having and that suit my water, I know it will be ages yet before I can get any because I have to wait until my tank is fully cycled but I'm still excited  ;D

I thought Zebra and glowlight danio to start with because they’re hardy and good for beginners but still so cute. :) Then I would like to get some panda cory – they’re gorgeous Resa! ;D And also some lemon tetra.

Further down the line I’d like to get some platy, though only one male and 5 females as I don’t want any fighting, and some glass bloodfin. So guys what are your thoughts on my ideas?

Tasha x  :D

Lake Tebera Rainbowfish (4) - Celebes Rainbow (4) - Panda Cory (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) - Platy (6) - Zebra Danio (6) - Glowlight Danio (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
I'm assuming this is for a ~100cm long, 160 - 180 litre tank?

Zebra danios - fine (these are the kinds of dashy fish I mentioned, they need a bigger tank than you'd think looking at them, and 1m is fine). They do like water a bit cooler than a lot of tropical fish, so you'd need to bear that in mind choosing tankmates. A temp of 24oC would be the max for these danios. A school of at least 6.

Glowlight danios - fine, and will be happy at zebra danio temps. Again a shoal of at least 6.

Lemon tetra - ditto

Glass bloodfins - ditto (though not a species I've seen in shops in my area)

Platies - again no problems.

Panda cories - should be fine. Wait till the tank has been cycled a few weeks before getting them.

The only comment I would make is that the fish you fancy are all smallish shoaling fish. No problem with that  ;D but you may want to think about a 'centrepiece' fish. These are fish that are usually kept singly or in pairs and are a bit bigger than the shoaling fish you like. Like in my 125 litre, I have a trio of honey gouramis and a pair of apistogrammas along with a shoals of green neon tetras and ember tetras.
Another thing to think about (you have a few weeks to finalise your choices) - would you prefer a dozen of each of two shoals or half a dozen of four shoals? There is a school of thought that says larger numbers of fewer species is aesthetically more pleasing but it is, of course, all down to personal choice  ;D

Thinkfish doesn't have a large selection of fish in the profile section. Have you found this site yet? It has a bigger selection, but you do have to be a bit inventive finding substitutes in the community creator for a fish not on here.

Offline Natasha

• Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »
The only comment I would make is that the fish you fancy are all smallish shoaling fish. No problem with that  ;D but you may want to think about a 'centrepiece' fish. These are fish that are usually kept singly or in pairs and are a bit bigger than the shoaling fish you like. Like in my 125 litre, I have a trio of honey gouramis and a pair of apistogrammas along with a shoals of green neon tetras and ember tetras.
Another thing to think about (you have a few weeks to finalise your choices) - would you prefer a dozen of each of two shoals or half a dozen of four shoals? There is a school of thought that says larger numbers of fewer species is aesthetically more pleasing but it is, of course, all down to personal choice  ;D

Hey Sue,

You make a very good point with regards to larger numbers in fewer shoals, I expect it would be more aesthetically pleasing :) Also when you say a 'centrepiece' fish that is a bit bigger what sort of comparative size do you mean? Just a couple of cm larger? Possibly a single or pair of betta?

Tasha x

Also am I being completely blind or will I need to buy a thermometer separately with this tank? http://www.arkpetsonline.co.uk/juwel-rio-180-aquarium-cabinet-beech-home-delivery-p-6513.html?cPath=2_13_15_646_649

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
That tank will come with the tank, filter (and all the media you'd need) and the heater. I got my rio a few years ago and it might have come with one of those lcd thermeometers that stick on the outside but I can't remember. However, those stick on ones are not very accurate as they are influenced by the temp of the air in the room. The kind that go inside the tank like this are more reliable and not very expensive.

A centrepiece fish can only be slightly larger than the smallest fish in the tank. The rule with fish is - if one can fit in another's mouth it will get eaten.
Bettas are not the best fish, I'm afraid. With the other fish on your list, the danios could stress a betta by being too zippy, and it is quite possible that the tetras would take a fancy to a male betta's fins. Also, you cannot keep a male/female pair together permanently, only for a short period under close supervision when breeding them. Females can be kept together but only in groups. With two, one will attack the other. Three - two will gang up on one. Four is the absolute minimum with more being better. But female battas look very much like platies so a group of them with platies would look more or less like a big group of platies.
For instance, if you left out the zebra danios, you could have a trio of pearl gouramis (they need the water warmer than is good for zebra danios) or a trio of the smaller honey gouramis. Your water conditions are right at the edge of these gouramis preferences, but they should be OK.
I'm trying to think of other centrepiece fish that would work. I'm more familiar with soft water fish as that's what I have  ;D

Actually, come to think of it, there is a group of fish that do well in hard alkaline water, although they are shoaling - rainbowfish. Everything from the larger boesman rainbows to the Pseudomugils

Offline Resa

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2013, 12:38:49 AM »
Hi Natasha,

Just a word of warning about one of your fish choices, the platys.  I have three blue marble platys, which are super pretty and two coral platys.  They are all nice fish, easy to keep and peaceful, but MAN do they breed! My marbles consist of one male and two females and they have been popping out babies since the week I got them! :o  Had I known just how many babies would keep happening, I would have chosen to get either just males or females.  To be honest, I never gave it a thought, I just asked for three platys at the shop and that's what I got.  Fortunately, one of the fish shops near me are happy to take the babies, even when still small, otherwise I would be over-run with them.  Both my girls have popped out more babies this evening....they're such tarts! ;D
You don't have to have a male either to get babies.  They can arrive to you with stored fertilised eggs :o :o Apparently, they can keep them stored for about three months.  Not much danger of them becoming extinct, eh? ;D
Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.

Resa

Offline Resa

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2013, 12:42:55 AM »
PS. Sue's got a point, Rainbowfish are very pretty, I especially like the Threadfin/Featherfin Rainbowfish. I was thinking about some of them myself for the new tank.  I'll have to see though, if they will be alright with Flockhart, my colisa...who is also lovely.  He is a really vibrant electric blue.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Advice for a newbie please"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 12:37:25 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 09:17:18 PM
by SteveS
5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post November 10, 2016, 05:22:57 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2017, 09:10:28 AM
by Littlefish
86 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 12:18:03 PM
by Littlefish
17 Replies
Last post September 10, 2019, 05:42:36 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: