Author Topic: adding more fish  (Read 4505 times) 11 replies

Offline Hannspree

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
adding more fish
« on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Guys

I'm new here :) I'm pretty new to fish keeping and I'm enjoying it so far :-D i was just wondering if I could add some more fish to my 27 litre tank, at the moment I have 8 Endlers & 6 shrimp but I'm not sure if i can add a different spices of fish or more of the ones i have any suggestions please ? :) or am i fully stocked.

(hopefully i can get a bigger tanks at some point)

Here is a picture of my tanks.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: adding more fish
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
Nice looking tank  :)

With just 27 litres, I wouldn't get any more fish. The only fish small enough to fit are shoaling fish and tend to be shy so you need more than half a dozen for them to feel safe. And bigger, single fish such as a betta (siamese fighting fish) would probably eat your shrimps, or at least try to and damage them.

Or get a few more endlers. If you look round a few shops you'll find a variety of colours and pattern types which would make it look like you have different species. I can see in the pic that you have at least five black bars and one tiger endler; there are other types if you look around.

Offline Hannspree

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
Thanks Sue :)

do you think adding 2-4 more endlers will be ok ? i do want to get as many as i can is there but dont want to overstock my tank so the fish stay happy & healthy :)

also the shrimp hide allot ? i can normal only see 3-4 out the 6 in there when i look, im always a bit worried when i cant find them lol and if i add more shrimp will that affect stock in my tank as i read that they basically add no additional load to the tank.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
I think 2 to 4 endlers would be fine. males are not very big fish (unlike females).

Shrimps have a low bioload so they don't affect the tank very much. What kind do you have? If they are small like cherry shrimps, more of them would be OK too.

Don't add too much at one go  ;)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »
Hannspree, have you checked this sites Community Creator.
It should tell you how many fish you can have.
It's what I usually go by although it isn't absolutely accurate it gives a rough idea

I had black bars and they were very pretty.
I was in Pets@Home today and I noticed they didn't have a single black bar. Had mine survived I would have gone there and got a different pattern.

Offline Hannspree

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »
ok cool ill probably get 4 more endlers then :) and ive got cherry shrimp :) so maybe ill add 4 more for them aswell

thanks for your help  ;D

Offline Hannspree

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:57:02 PM »
Hi Sanjo

yea i had a look at the Community creator it show i could put 13 endlers in there seemed a bit high to me for a 27 litre tank so i thought id double check :)

Ive looked in pets at home too they don't have any fish that stay small luckily ive got 5 other fish shops not that far from me all with different types of fish :) dont trust them though when i first set up my tanks it was like yea 4 gold fish will be fine in your tank then they got to big so they went in my Dads pond and they are happy :) thats when i started looking online and found out about cycling the tank, water changes witch at one point i thought was all the water luckily i never done that when i found out the pet store was wrong about the amount and type of fish i could keep, that made me look up every thing.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:17:27 PM »
The first lesson fishkeepers need to learn is never trust a shop. There are some good ones around but the advice others give is terrible. It is much safe to research on-line first. There are many fish species in the profile section on here; there are a lot more at Seriously Fish

Offline Hannspree

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 07:56:32 PM »
yea it is surprising since they work in a shop that sells fish!!!! i suppose they just want to sell as much as they can, i would have never got my 27 litre tank if i known i would be so limited to what i can have in there. not complaining i like the fish i have but i want more now !!! lol Bigger tank soon! :) ( Hopefully ) LOL

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:53:09 AM »
Not all shops stock Endlers Hannspree, few and far between actually.

The only other thing I would advise, very strongly, is that any fish you buy in you do not put in the tank with the others straight away.

Find something to quarantine them in for a few weeks.  I'd hate you to lose ALL  your fish because new introductions brought in  disease

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
Using Sanjo's idea, you could always get a bigger tank and when you've transferred your current livestock use the 27 litre as a quarantine tank.

Offline Hannspree

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »
Thanks Guys :) yea when i get my bigger thanks ill do that with my 27 litre :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "adding more fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
by jowjow1976
8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 05:30:18 PM
by Mogwai
0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
by bferg4
9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 05:50:42 PM
by sunshine
19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 10:50:05 AM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 10:13:48 PM
by fish-friends

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: