Adding Fish

Author Topic: adding fish  (Read 3479 times) 4 replies

Offline jowjow1976

• Fishy Member
adding fish
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi guys,

How much time shall I leave my new 230 litre aquarium to mature before adding the first fish!!!!

I just added water yesterday!!

Thanks

Johann

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (4) - Plecostomus (1) - Bolivian Ram (3) - Angelfish (4) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (2) - Discus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: adding fish
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
Do you already have a tank that's been running a while?
Or have you been out of fish for a while and you are starting again with this tank?
Or are you upgrading from a smaller tank, and if so will you be moving all the fish over and getting rid of the old tank or keeping both running?

Sorry about all those questions but the various scenarios all have different answers. If I know which one it'll saving me having to type them all out  ;D

You said in your other thread that you've been an aquarist for 8 years, but do you know about fishless cycling? Just in case you don't know about cycling, here is an explanation
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15.0.html

Offline jowjow1976

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:02:03 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks again for your reply, yes i had been an aquarist for 8 years but i stopped for a couple of years last week i bought a new 230 litre tank and yesterday i set it all up and filled it with water, my question is for how long do i have to wait to add fish,  normally i leave for about 8-10 days but since all my other aquariums where smaller then this one i do not know if it makes a difference or not.... i also know that i need to do frequent tests before but i am asking just to make sure!!

Thanks

Johann

Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (4) - Plecostomus (1) - Bolivian Ram (3) - Angelfish (4) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (2) - Discus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
What you did previously was a fish-in cycle. If you test your water for ammonia and nitrite at least once a day and do water changes as and when necessary to stop either of them from ever reaching as high as 0.25, a fish-in cycle can be done successfully. But I must confess that daily water changes on a 230 litre tank for several weeks would be a bit much for me.
If you let the ammonia and/or nitrite levels get higher than that the fish might well die, or at the very least be more prone to getting ill and will probably not live their usual life span.
If this is what you want to do, you can get fish, a few fish, as soon as the water gets to the required temperature. This is a step by step guide on how to do it with the least possible damage to the fish.
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17.0.html

There is another, more fish-friendly way to prepare the tank for fish, but it takes a couple of months. In order to grow the filter bacteria before any fish are put in the tank, you need to add a source of ammonia. This could be from a bottle of ammonia solution, decomposing fish food or a dead prawn (the kind you eat). The advantage with ammonia solution is that you know exactly how much ammonia is going into the tank; with fishfood and prawn, because they have to decompose to make ammonia, there is no way to tell exactly how much ammonia is going into the tank.
This is a step by step guide on how to do it
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16.0.html

The pros and cons:

with fish -
Pro: you can get a few fish immediately
Con: the fish could get sick or die; you will need to do a lot of water changes

fishless -
Pro: no fish get sick or die; no water changes (or at least an awful lot less)
Con: you can't have any fish for at least a month, more like two.

Whichever method you choose, you will need a test kit that tests for at least ammonia and nitrite. Liquid reagent kits are more accurate than strips and do more tests for your money.

Offline jowjow1976

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
Hi again Sue,

Thanks a lot for the detailed info I will wait since I do not want any un healthy fish  :(

Thanks again

Johann

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "adding fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 05:30:18 PM
by Mogwai
0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
by bferg4
9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 05:50:42 PM
by sunshine
11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 12:07:48 PM
by Hannspree
19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 10:50:05 AM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 10:13:48 PM
by fish-friends

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: