A Varied Diet?

Author Topic: A Varied Diet?  (Read 2292 times) 6 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
A Varied Diet?
« on: October 11, 2014, 08:15:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a tank with Rosy Danio's, juvenile Congo Tetra's and Glowlight Danio's. General advice, especially with the Congo's  is that they need a varied diet and to supplement their diet with frozen food such as daphnia and artemia as this is their natural food. Trouble is none of them will touch either, even when not fed for a while :-\
They just sink to the floor and are left to be vacuumed out. Are bloodworms too big? I've never seen a fish that doesn't love 'em. Any other suggestion?

PS.. Anyone looking for a hardy, entertaining and beautiful starter fish should look no further than the Rosy Danio. Georgeous  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: A Varied Diet?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
You could try finely chopping a frozen bloodworm cube. I find that shaving thin slices off the side of the cube with a sharp knife gets a mixture of larger and smaller pieces. The thinner the slice the better for small pieces.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
Thanks Sue, I got some brine shrimp today and they went crazy for it  :) Also got some bloodworms to try later

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »
My LFS aslo sells live food - they get a new batch in each Thursday - and having some wriggling food in the tank may help. I use the tea-strainer to sieve them out of the water from the packet first. (I also use the cheese knife to chop the frozen cubes up. Sue seems to think this is a tad unhygenic - I look at it as bolstering my immune system. ;D )

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 09:02:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply Colin. I've read that some people are wary of live food due to a much higher risk of introducing something nasty to the tank than frozen. Is there any truth in this?

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline Yorkshireadam

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »
I give my guys a bag of Daphnia on a Saturday, like a weekend takeaway for them, I tip them into a fine net and run them under a tap for a few seconds just to wash them off. There's always a chance they could harbour something, it's risk and reward but the fish love it.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 07:09:39 AM »
There's virtually no chance of anything nasty coming in with live food. Daphnia, for example, will only be found in waters without fish, which would eat the daphnia of course, and in any case live food today will all have been bred in special systems, not collected from the wild. No fish, means no possibility of fish disease and any predators large enough to harm fish would be blindingly obvious just by size. The danger would come from letting the live food die and decay, then feeding it to your fish. The "danger" of live food is another myth (of many) passed down from person to person none of whom know what they are talking about.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: