Author Topic: A bit disgusting maybe?  (Read 2563 times) 4 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
A bit disgusting maybe?
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning everyone,

I'm going away for 10 nights on Sunday, and I'm a bit nervous about leaving my 180 litre tank.
I was going to put food in via an automatic fish feeder, but the girl who looks after our cats when we're away is going to feed them for me. I'm going to put each feed in a little bag so she can't overdo it and I'm only going to have them fed every 2 days. Hopefully they'll be OK with that.

My real question is around my snails. I have an 'algae farm' permanently on my windowsill. It consists of stones and water (with a dash of ammonia) in a pyrex dish. The slightly disgusting thing is that it now has a thick crust (several weeks old) of algae all over the surface of the dish because I've never washed it, just topped it up with water and ammonia. The algae is so thick that the whole dish is a poisonous green colour (I know, it is really horrible!).
Would i be safe to put the entire dish in the tank while I'm away. It's not only my snails. but my platies and my silver tip tetras eat algae as well and I thought this might keep them topped up whilst I'm away.
Any advice would be great, I hope you don't all think I should call the public health department in, the algae farm really isn't illustrative of my house in general! :-[

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: A bit disgusting maybe?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:00:31 AM »
I don't think it would do any harm and you might come back to a super-clean dish  ;D The only problem I can think of is if any contamination has got into the algae, any chemicals used nearby for example.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:22:36 AM »
Thanks Sue,

There wouldn't be any other chemicals around to contaminate the algae, so I'll just go ahead with that. :)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:07:32 AM »
Well, back from holidays and pleased to report that all the fish are fine - no losses.
The algae bowl worked really well and was super sparkly clean when I returned. My other half reckons I should contact all the dishwasher companies to let them know about this amazing dish cleaner I've discovered. LOL. ;D

I've done a big water change and tank clean and I'm looking forward to adding some more fish after a week if my water parameters remain stable. Thanks for the holiday advice everyone. :cheers:

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »
coll,i might get my algae jar back up by the window.yeah provide my snails with a 24 hour snack bar for a few days.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: