5ft Fish Tank

Author Topic: 5ft fish tank  (Read 7231 times) 5 replies

Offline maz1

• Fishy Member
5ft fish tank
« on: November 24, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi just upgrading my tank its going to be 5ft by 18"wide and18"high but going to use a external cannister filters but i dont know how many litres it holds could anyone help it will be a cichlid tank with coral sand and live rock in it i think 2 cannisters should be ok

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
Re: 5ft fish tank
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:13:22 AM »
Hi Maz..... and welcome to the forum  :) 

5ft?  :o WOW!!!!!! Lucky you  ;)  I hope you will post some pics in the gallery!

I cant help with your tank being for cichlids. I dont keep them. So if someone with experience on this species comes along to help, then please listen to them and not me! But in the meantime, to give you an idea of how volume and filters are generally worked out:

Ive popped your measurements into the calculator on here and it comes back as approx 300 litres. You can check this if you like - at the top of the page theres a "calculators" tab, point your mouse on it and a drop-down menu will reveal "volume (aquarium)" option. Click on that and you will find a very useful tool where you can enter your aquarium measurements (in cm). I used a tape measure to convert your measurements into cm!

Dont forget that your substrate, decor, plants, etc will reduce that volume. I recommend that if you fill your tank via bucket, then count how many buckets it takes to fill it. That way, you will have a better idea of how much water there is actually in there - very handy later on for working out medication or plant food etc, without overdosing the tank.

Meanwhile, it is generally recommended that the filter turns the tank at least five times per hour (or ten times if heavily planted). So, five times 300 litres = 1500 litres per hour filter. Whether that be one stonking 1500 LPH filter, or two at 750 LPH is up to you.

By the way, in case Ive confused you, I tend to use the "empty tank volume" (ie. the 300 litres) for the filter size calculation because manufacturers use maximum LPH for their products. Therefore, if a filter claims to be, say 1500 LPH, then that would be its maximum performance. In real life, by the time the filter has media in it and starts to collect gunk out of your tank, that 1500 litres is no more! It would be more like, I dunno, maybe 1300 LPH or something? By using the maximum tank volume to calculate the filter needed compensates this.

Hope that made sense!!!  :-[

EDIT:
An afterthought - I notice you say you want coral sand and live rock. They, I believe, equal a brackish tank. Which might require something completely different to what Ive said above.
If, however, you meant that you want sand, live rock and coral then you're heading into marine world. I have no idea about marine tanks or whether you can even keep cichlids in a marine tank.........  :-\

To be perfectly honest, I thought you could only have live rock in a marine tank. So you've well confused me with your setup!!!!!!  ;D

Offline maz1

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:18:14 AM »
thank you ever so much im just building the cabinet fot it so while im building it up from scratch i will post up the tank from beginning to completion well here goes wood hunting and tank being delivered this week for a new project oh fun

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
I assume you want Rift Lake cichlids if you want to use coral sand a live rock?
Those fish are a bit beyond me, I'm not sure if we have any members who keep them? About all I know is you don't have plants in the tank and they are usually kept overstocked to cut down aggression (too many fish for any of them to set up and defend a territory). And that most of the ones in shops are hybrids.

Chucklett - one thing I do know about the Rift Lakes is that the water is very peculiar compared to 'normal' freshwater. Coral sand is common in RL cichlid tanks. The water is very hard and alkaline, so much so that very few other species of fish can be kept with RL cichlids. That's why I don't know much about them, my water is too soft so I'd have to add RL salts at every water change, somthing I can't be bothered doing  ;D

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »
Sue - Thanks for the info. I like to try to understand a little bit about other setups and fish  :) 

The coral sand I gathered was to do with hardness (remembering you advising me long ago to add crushed coral to my tank to help harden up my molly water!) I just wasnt sure if Maz meant coral sand or that (s)he wanted to keep corals in a tank with a sandy substrate! It was the live rock that threw me - I thought live rock could only be kept in a marine tank? Hence why I wasnt sure about the corals or coral sand!

Maz - Im looking forward to your photo diary. I love to see a tank coming together from scratch. Making your own cabinet eh? Thats gonna take some timber! I hope you're gonna post photos of it as its being made  ;) My dad made both my cabinets. They're much nicer than the ones you can buy or get with fish tanks. Look forward to seeing yours  :)

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
Im 99% sure live rock will only remain live in a marine enviroment. The bacteria that live on the rock and provide nitrate removal require a salt enviroment. However the ocean rock its self can be used in a rift lake tank

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "5ft fish tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 05:03:52 PM
by denzilsdad
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2018, 09:48:16 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 08:26:03 PM
by daveyng
2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2022, 08:31:58 PM
by TheFletch05

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: