25 Litres Of Water, 1 Impending Betta, Too Much Information!

Author Topic: 25 litres of water, 1 impending Betta, too much information!  (Read 3887 times) 5 replies

Offline Georgefreewways

• Tropical Fish Forum User
25 litres of water, 1 impending Betta, too much information!
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:40:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Crikey, things have changed since i was school fishtank monitor!
Not that modern aquariums seem any different to those in the late 70's
but the amount i can read about them is quite overwhelming. Thanks www!

Hence the fact i have joined this lovely site, as everyone (from what i have seen whilst surfing y'all) is very friendly and experienced!

So, keeping it as simple as i can...

I have a 25 litre tank.
Heated 80-82, planted (quite heavily), with filter. All in since last Saturday.
Added API Quick Start last Monday, to hopefully help the bio cycle.

Tested yesterday x 2 and earlier, (strips - proper kit arrives tomorrow)....

Ph good, 7.6/7.2
Ammonia was 0.5 now 0.
Nitrate .25
Nitrite 0.5/1

If I intended to do a fish in cycle (theres only one little guy going in - not much waste/food?)
And if (as my daughter is presuming) we add Mr Betta tomorrow,
will close monitoring and daily 25% water changes if the Ammonia jumps (same temp - dechlorinated) get things to where they should be in a fortnight/3 weeks or so without any stress being put on Senor Splendens? (you can see we are still working thru the naming here)

This is me boiling all the myriad of the research / information i have gleaned over quite some time from the multitude of "this is the way to do it" sites.
Theres soooo many "right ways".
I would appreciate any specific advice  on my presumptions/numbers from folk in the know!

Many thanks in advance,

GF.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: 25 litres of water, 1 impending Betta, too much information!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

Yes, there is a lot of information available, and sometimes it can be a tad overwhelming.

With plants and one inhabitant I would say that it would be safe to monitor/perform water changes on a daily basis until the tank has settled/grown enough bacteria.

Fishless cycling is less stressful for fish, but the set up that you have described seems reasonable.
I'm sure that the more experienced keepers will be able to give you some more specific advice.

Best of luck with Mr Betta (have you decided which type yet?)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:16 PM »
Sounds like a plan!!

No need to restrict yourself to 25% water changes especially on such a small tank, during the initial period.. If you detect ammonia or nitrite, do a massive water change to get the readings back to zero.  Change 90% twice a day if you have to.  The health of the fish is the most important thing.

Like Littlefish, I would never suggest a fish in cycle without plants buy-in your heavily planted tank and with the addition of just one fish I think it's doable provided you can commit to daily or twice daily water tests and water changes if you have to.

Offline Georgefreewways

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
Thankyou. Very much appreciated.
I'd hoped the planting, some of which is one wood, might help.
No problem sticking to a twice daily test then changes as required.

As for type, half moon or super delta would be great.
That said, the LFS in Bristol has alot of choice, so we'll see.
I feel it will be down to my two smaller "aquarium assistants" who are currently
more excited about names and colours than the nitrogen cyle!

Thanks again.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:21:56 AM »
I hope that your aquarium assistants enjoy their trip to the shop.
We'd love to see pictures when your new arrival has settled in.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »
Yes, one betta in a heavily planted tank should mean no ammonia build up, and with no ammonia you should not see nitrite either. Just keep an eye on those two daily till you are sure.

As Matt said, 90% water changes (ie leave just enough water so the fish is still upright) are better than letting fish stay in water with ammonia and/or nitrite; the only thing to be careful of with such a large amount is that the new water is the same temperature as the tank water.

When you go betta shopping take your time. Let the betta choose you, don't go in saying I want a red half moon and nothing else. Avoid bettas that have finrot or fungus on their bodies, swollen eyes, scales like pine cones no matter how pretty they are. When you've had more experience you may be able to nurse such fish back to health, but if your daughter is very young having a sick fish die could be upsetting. Look for a fish that is alert; if they are in a large tank, look for one that is swimming round and not lying on the bottom. If the shop keeps them in small tanks next to each other, flaring at a neighbour is a good sign. Hold your finger next to the tank (don't tap on the glass) and move your finger round slowly - does he follow your finger, or even flare at it? That's a good sign. And finally, avoid a fish that is alert and active but seems jerky in its movements.
That's how I choose my bettas  :) Last September after my 3 year old betta died, I quickly narrowed it down to 4 fish, then it took ages to decide between them.

Feeding a betta - bettas are gluttons. Given the chance they will over-stuff themselves which isn't good. Once settled in they will beg for food - don't give in! And make sure your daughter understands this too.
They are best fed on specific betta food, with floating pellets being better than flakes. The brand most commonly available in shops is Hikari, but Atisons pellets - from Ebay or Amazon - are a better quality food. There are other good makes but they are sold in huge tubs which is fine for a betta breeder but not someone who has just one fish. Don't feed as much as the pack says, they want you to buy more.
Some bettas won't eat when you first get them. They don't recognise what you are giving them is food. The first time you feed him, give him one pellet/flake and see if he eats that before giving him any more. If he won't eat, remove the food and try again at the next meal. He will eventually eat when he is hungry enough, they have not been known to starve themselves to death.
You can feed 'live' food as a treat, bettas love bloodworms. A pack of alive food will go off before you've used much. Frozen cubes can be kept in the freezer for ages, but you need just a tiny bit of a cube per meal. Defrost before use. Dried 'live' food must be rehydrated before feeding. Those tubes of bloodworms in gel will also go off before the betta can finish one. Stick to frozen or dried. Bettas and bloodworms are like children and burgers - they'd eat them every meal from choice but they don't have much nutritional value, and are fatty. Once a week at most. Mine gets frozen bloodworms after his weekly water change.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "25 litres of water, 1 impending Betta, too much information!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
15 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 04:20:54 PM
by DutchyHolland
2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2014, 07:26:11 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 03, 2014, 12:13:39 PM
by chris213
14 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 12:57:25 PM
by evan47
6 Replies
Last post November 04, 2017, 03:13:00 PM
by apache6467
4 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 09:30:35 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: