Hello, New To This

Author Topic: Hello, New to this  (Read 18268 times) 45 replies

Offline New fish

• Fishy Member
Re: Hello, New to this
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I can't seem to get my PH below 7.4 I have a community tank the recommended is 7.0, does this API ph decrease  work?

Thanks
Paul

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 01:02:23 PM »
Don't mess with your pH. It causes more problems than it solves.

Fish that like low pH usually like soft water as well. Adding chemicals to the tank to reduce the pH just increases the mineral content of the water, the opposite of what soft water fish want.
Most pH reducing chemicals only have a temporary effect; the pH soon bounces back to what it was and this constantly changing pH is bad for the fish.

So long as you don't have a high carbonate hardness, things like lots of bogwood or even peat in the filter can help to lower pH, though in these cases it is better to a lot of small water changes so you aren't adding a lot of water with different pH in one go. [ not garden peat as that contains plant fertiliser]

Most fish can live quite happily in water that is the 'wrong' pH. Hardness is actually more important than pH. Few soft water fish can tolerate very hard water, and hard water fish will suffer in very soft water.

Do you know the hardness of your water? It should be somewhere on your water supplier's website.

It is possible to have soft water with high pH - mine is medium soft with a pH of 7.4. This means I can keep soft water fish that prefer a low pH rather than hard water fish that like a high pH.

Offline New fish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 08:50:29 PM »
Thanks Sue.

After lots of research and checking my fish list has changed my stock will eventually be...

2 Dwarf Gourami, 1 male 1 female*
6 Black Phantom tetra *
6 flame tetra
6 lemon tetra
1 bristlenose pec

*= currently in the tank

Offline New fish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »
I have a Bristlenose now, put him in the tank yesterday, haven't seen him since he's hiding, lol

I got 8 beautiful Ember tetras in there now as well, they are great tank looking really good now...  ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 08:11:13 AM »
Good choice on the tetras, I have ember tetras too  ;D Stunning little fish. If yours are a bit pale with being new, wait till they settle in. They really do live up to their name.

Offline New fish

• Fishy Member
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
Yep I wen't to buy Flame Tetras, but couldn't tear myself away from the Ember Tetra's they have great character   ;)

I have seen my Bristlenose now he's out and about, didn't realise they were so fast. ;D

Will I get lemon Tetras next!!!!

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: