10 Gallon Tank - What Would You Stock?

Author Topic: 10 gallon tank - what would you stock?  (Read 10723 times) 14 replies

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
10 gallon tank - what would you stock?
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone

I have been reading posts on this forum for a while but this is my first time posting. I am new to fishkeeping but have been avidly reading.

I have a 10 gallon tank which is currently cycling fishlessly and will be planted.

The details of the tank are:

Dimensions: 47 x 29 x 40cm
Aquarium Volume: 38L (UK)
Filter Flow Rate: 430l/hr (UK)
Light Wattage: 7W LED

I am planning to do twice weekly water changes probably of around 20% each time. I can do more or less depending on your suggestions obviously! My water is soft with a PH of around 6.8.

I would welcome any suggestions on the stocking of this tank. I just want fish that can live in the tank happily for the whole of their lives, behave normally and preferably with some colour and plenty of activity!

I was thinking about a centrepiece fish like a honey gourami along with a small school of something, but I am open to any suggestions.

I have been using the community creator which is brilliant - but I would like suggestions of stocking that people know works in such a small tank.

I was thinking about a centrepiece fish like a honey gourami along with a small school of something, but I am open to any suggestions - what would you guys stock in a 10 gallon tank? The only thing I am not keen on really are shrimp.

Any suggestions are more than welcome please!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bala / Silver Shark (5) - Congo Tetra (23) - Rosy Barb (17) - Golden Nugget Plec (2) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Tiger Barb (23) - Clown Loach (5) - Denison's Barb (7) - Black Neon Tetra (21) - Rummy Nose Tetra (15) - Panda Cory (4) - Fiveband Barb (10) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Yoyo Loach (3) - Denison's Barb (5) - Checkered Barb (7) - Cherry Barb (5) - Congo Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (13) - Zebra Danio (5) - Honey Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Bala / Silver Shark (7) - Tinfoil Barb (5) - Rosy Barb (13) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Congo Tetra (13) - Golden Nugget Plec (4) - Tiger Barb (17) - Ticto Barb (13) - Silver Dollar (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: 10 gallon tank - what would you stock?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Kirstos.

Cherry barbs are a favourite of mine. The boys go deep cherry red and dance and flare their fins at each other while the barbie girls swim around together checking their make-up and gossiping.

Panda cory catfish get a lot of love on this forum too. That'll give you gourami for the upper levels, barbs in the middle and the Panda cories at the bottom. Just a thought! :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
Hi Kirstos,

Welcome to the madhouse :)

Colin is ABSOLUTELY right.....Panda Cories are lovely...well.. I think so. Have a look at them, they're funny little creatures, with little comic faces and are so busy bumbling around the tank, you'd never get bored of watching them.

Don't forget though, whatever you decide, we love pics! :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »
Hi guys

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! And the lovely welcomes too!

I hadnt considered cherry barbs - off to check the fish profiles section now!

Bala / Silver Shark (5) - Congo Tetra (23) - Rosy Barb (17) - Golden Nugget Plec (2) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Tiger Barb (23) - Clown Loach (5) - Denison's Barb (7) - Black Neon Tetra (21) - Rummy Nose Tetra (15) - Panda Cory (4) - Fiveband Barb (10) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Honey Gourami (1) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Yoyo Loach (3) - Denison's Barb (5) - Checkered Barb (7) - Cherry Barb (5) - Congo Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (13) - Zebra Danio (5) - Honey Gourami (1) - Ember Tetra (10) - Bala / Silver Shark (7) - Tinfoil Barb (5) - Rosy Barb (13) - Yoyo Loach (7) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Siamese Flying Fox (3) - Congo Tetra (13) - Golden Nugget Plec (4) - Tiger Barb (17) - Ticto Barb (13) - Silver Dollar (1) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 04:15:31 PM »
Well done on the fishless cycle! With soft water and a low pH, keep a close eye on your pH. I did a fishless cycle earlier this year and my pH crashed to off the bottom of the chart, ie below 6.0. This is low enough to stall a cycle. Once your nitrite appears, test the pH every day. If it does drop, use bicarbonate of soda (in the home baking section of the supermarket, in a small tub). Dissolve a 10ml spoonful in a bit of tank water, add that and see if it pushes your pH to over 7. If it does, good. If not, add a bit more. You will need to do an enormous water change when the cycle has finished to remove this bicarb, but that shouldn't be too hard with 38 litres.

You could also go for one of the smaller cories instead of pandas - Corydoras pymaeus (pygmies) C habrosus (salt & pepper, not to be confused with the larger peppered) and C hastatus (no common name)

Here is a list of fish stolen from a couple of other sites:
Boraras, several species - the most common is the chili rasbora (Boraras brigittae) but there are others especially if you have a Maidenhead Aquatics near you
Ember tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae)
Green neon rasbora (Microdevario kubotai) though I'm looking for some and can't find any
Celestial pearl danios, aka galaxy or firework rasboras
Norman's lampeye
Sparkling gourami

Avoid the gouramis if you get honey gouramis. I have also left out some hard water fish.

20% water changes might be a bit low, I would start with 25% once you are fully stocked, then monitor your nitrate level. The max it should be is 20ppm above your tapwater level just before a water change. If you find yours is less than that for a few weeks, you can drop the % you change. Or increase the % if you find your nitrate is higher.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:28:45 PM »
Thanks for such a detailed reply Sue - its very much appreciated. I was concerned about the PH dropping too as I read it can be an issue so I have put a piece of ocean rock in the tank and I have a tub of bicarb in the cupboard just in case. I am using the API master test kit so I will keep a close eye on things.

There are some lovely fish suggested there, thank you - for the schooling ones would it be a school of say 6 if I got a honey/sparkling gourami?

Thanks for the tips regarding the water changes too, the tank is right by a sink so water changes should be easy.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
Sparking gouramis are the only ones I would avoid if you get honey gouramis. It is usually a bad idea to mix gouramis. Although sparklers are not surface dwellers like most gouramis so you might get away with it. I have read of people having problems with sparklers, specifically with males fighting. And they are quite tricky to sex at the size they are in the shop - with all fish, the ones on sale are usually juveniles rather than adults.

For corydoras, tetras, rasboras etc they need to group of at least six. Sparkling gouramis can be kept in smaller groups.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
Following everyone's suggestions, I am currently thinking I would like a honey gourami as a centrepiece and something like 10 galaxy rasboras or chili rasboras. I would have liked something for the bottom like panda cories but my LFS usually only has larger ones so I think it will just be the gourami and the rasboras. Would that be overstocked?

One question though, because the rasboras are so small would the gourami eat them?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
I have had small fish with honey gouramis and they have ignored them. I currently have 11 ember tetras in the same tank as a pair of honeys. These are the same length as the rasboras, though they are not as slim. Honey gouramis do not have very big mouths. They will hunt fry but tend to leave fish even as small as my embers alone.

If you did want something else for a bit of interest that won't add much to the bioload, have a look at nerite snails (make sure they are fresh water ones not marine ones). I have some in all my tanks - brown and beige striped zebras, red ones with black markings and a plain brown one with horns - this last one is a smaller species and there are some black and yellow striped ones. Though I would wait till you get a bit of algae growing if you decide on them.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
Thanks again for taking the time to reply Sue!  :D

That's good to know about snails, I didn't think about the netrite snails - I have read they don't reproduce in freshwater aquaria so that would be great, they have such lovely colours too.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 11:56:28 AM »
Do Honey Gourami suffer from the same illness issues as the Dwarf Gourami?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »
Honey gouramis do not get dwarf gourami disease aka dwarf gourami iridovirus, DGIV. But they will get other illnesses, as will all fish, if exposed to them or kept in poor quality water.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »
That's spot on Sue thanks a lot  :)

I thought I would make a bit of a list of some possibilities so that when I go to the shop to purchase I wouldn't be flummoxed if they didn't have whatever it was I was fancying and so I end up making a poor choice. I do like a list. So what do you guys think of some of these options:

Option 1 - 1 Honey Gourami, 8 Chili Rasboras and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 2 - 12-15 Chili Rasboras or Celestial Pearl Danios depending on what was available

Option 3 - 7 Chili Rasboras and 7 Celestial Pearl Danios

Option 4 - 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnow

Option 5 - 1 Betta if I found one that was truly fabulous and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 6 - 6 Cherry Barbs and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 7 - 1 Honey Gourami,  6 Green Neon Tetras or Ember Tetras (although I have never seen either in my local stores) and 1 Netrite Snail

Option 8 - 6 Checkered Barbs and 1 Netrite Snail

I had thought about some Cory's or Ottos but I would not be able to find anything small enough in the case of Cory's and I know Ottos can be really fragile so I have decided to avoid both of those.

I would appreciate comments on my ideas. I have been doing lots of research into species that will be a suitable size for such a small tank but it is the combinations that I have struggled with.

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:09:38 PM »
In my opinion:

1 - fine
2 - fine
3 - fine
4 - Do-able but they woud do better in a longer, shallower tank as that has more swimming room. You would also need to remember to turn the heater down a bit as they need temps of 16 to 22oC
5 - fine
6 - cherry barbs are better in a 60cm long tank
7 - fine. I've seen ember tetras in more shops than green neons which are indeed hard to come by. I got my green neons on-line.
8 - checker barbs, like cherry barbs, really need a 60cm long tank.

I have seen a few microrasboras over the last couple of weeks - I've been looking for something small. For instance, one Maidenhead Aquatics (York) had Boraras maculatus, another MA (Stokesley) had Boraras merah though they were labelled as brigittae. Another shop also had merah labelled as brigittae. Of the ones I phoned, one had Boraras brigittae which they called mosquito rasboras rather than chili rasboras, and another shop had Boraras urophthalmoides which they called sparrow rasboras. All these fish are very similar and have the same water requirements and any one of them would be fine in your tank.

The fish I am hopefully getting are neon green rasboras. I was asked to phone back last Thursday (ordering day) which I did and they've ordered some for me, hopefully they will arrive on Tuesday. I have to phone next Thurs to make sure they are in then I can collect on Saturday as it is not exactly a local shop. If you could find them, these too would be OK for your tank. Shops might still call them by their old name, Microrasbora kubotai.

Offline Kirstos

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
Sue - you are a total star as always  :D

Thanks for the great reply. Its great to know most of my ideas are do-able or if not why not. I did base my choices on the fish profiles. Those neon rasboras are stunning.

I have just discovered there is a MA near me in Carlisle (about 30 miles away) so I can try there too. There is a Dobbies which has some run of the mill fish but that seem to be well cared for too as well as my very small local store who might be able to order the green neons for me and sometimes has microfish but it is quite sporadic depending on what they receive.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "10 gallon tank - what would you stock?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 03:33:20 PM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post July 15, 2014, 07:22:16 AM
by Robert
9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2014, 01:41:18 AM
by brian c
6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2017, 10:02:43 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2018, 07:57:56 AM
by Matt
38 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 11:27:50 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: