10 Days In, Are My Test Readings To Be Expected For This Length Of Time

Author Topic: 10 days in, are my test readings to be expected for this length of time  (Read 12312 times) 75 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Would that count if there's a hosepipe ban?  :o

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
Wow, @Helen watching the news this morning and they are talking about reduction in water usage.  :yikes:
All waste tank water (apart from brackish) is used in the garden, and now I'm less worried about the garden and more concerned about my tanks.
This may be time for a new thread... :o

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  I have been taking the water for testing from just under the surface.  Tonight for some reason I decided to go deep and my readings were ammonia 0 and nitrite 0 which makes me think, Have I been doing it wrong all this time?  :-[

do I still need to add more ammonia, and carry on as per last instructions Sue, or have I now reached my goal  ??? 

Offline Sue

Provided your filter moves the water round the tank, it shouldn't matter where you take the water from, although there is the possibility that taking it from just under the surface could also collect any debris floating on the surface.

Did you test any just under the surface water as well? It would be interesting to see if they are different, and by how much.

If the just under the surface readings are also zero, or very close, I would consider the cycle finished.

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
"If the just under the surface readings are also zero, or very close, I would consider the cycle finished."

would that mean I can do a water change tomorrow and then get some fish?   possibly salmon to go with a nice salad  :rotfl: : :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Likes On This Users Post 1
Yes to both the tank fish and the salmon. I had a nice piece of salmon for dinner this evening  ;D

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
 :cheers: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy 1:near surface reading was the same.

Water change will probably kill me, I dont do heat :-\ but at least the water butts will get filled.

Next major decision, what to buy. Hard water, temp 25
I will be studying the book tonight

Offline Sue

Cross check the book with Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ They are more up to date/more accurate than most books. The profiles have lots of info such as hardness, pH, temperature, minimum tank size, type of decor the species likes, fish they are happy with and any fish to avoid with any particular species.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Congratulations on completing your cycling.  :cheers:

What fish are you considering?

This is very exciting.  ;D

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
Not sure yet, any suggestions welcome and I can research before deciding. It's the first ones really, then I can work out how many to have in the tank and slowly take it from there. I know there's compatibliy guides and tools to work out how many on this amazing site. I don't know what I would've done without the help, especially from Sue
Thank you

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Looking at your earlier post, you have KH: 15  GH: 12 . Can you check your water/utility website, input your postcode, and find out exactly what your water hardness level is, in terms of CaCO3 or degrees Clark/French/German, just to ensure that it "tallies" with your test kit results? That way, we'll be able to provide some suitable suggestions of fish whose requirements would fit in with your water parameters, and @Littlefish in particular is an expert on hard water fish (in fact, there can't be many which she doesn't have already or at least hasn't considered ;)).

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
I can't encourage anyone to take the same approach as I have (numerous tanks, some slightly weird stuff, and several containers of RO water so I can keep fish that perhaps I shouldn't really...  :o ), but this thread contains a list that you may find useful to start with https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/list-of-fish-suitable-for-high-ph-and-hard-water/
However hard your water (mine is 17dH), there are lots of fish that will be suitable.  :)

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
Did a big water change this morning, didn't go quite to plan. I'd hoped to remove it out of the house by hose, but ended up using a bucket. Good job one of my sons was here for the muscle. At least the water butt is now full  :)

Offline Sue

I do water changes with a bucket. Two buckets to be precise. I can lift more water for the outwards water as that only has to leave the floor by an inch so I can use a 12 litre bucket for that. But I have to lift the new water bucket onto a stool, and since my dechlorinator dose rate is 1 drop per 4.75 litres, I use a 10 litre bucket filled to 9.5 litres to refill.
The longest part is waiting for the kettle to boil for each bucket of new water.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
FYI You will need to keep adding 1ppm ammonia each day until you get your fish if you are not getting them tomorrow to keep the bacteria you hace worked so hard to grow alive. (And then repeat the water change before you get fish).

Offline Sue

Actually, it's not 1 ppm every day
If you can’t get to the shop as soon as the cycle has finished, add the one-third dose every 2 to 3 days to keep the bacteria fed, then do the big water change just before you go fish shopping.

If it will be 10 days or longer it would be worth adding 3 ppm a couple of days before going fish shopping just to check you still have two zeros after 24 hours.

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member
I got 5 Platy's, (5s were on offer!!) mixed colours. fingers (or should it be fins  ;) ) crossed they all survive

Offline Sue

They should be fine in your water. You do realise that you'll now be pestered for photos  ;D

Just to check - males, females or a mixture? And if a mixture, how many m and how many f?

Offline pollydoodle

• Super Fishy Member

Just to check - males, females or a mixture? And if a mixture, how many m and how many f?

Ooops!!!  no idea.  mistake number one, I should have found out.  I will have to study them and try and work it out   :vcross:

Offline Sue

With 5 you need a maximum of two males. One would be better. Or all males or all females. The reason is that livebearer males pester females continuously. If there are more females than males each female gets time out while they chase another. Ideally the ratio is 1 male to 3 or more females.

Since you have only just got them, if you have a bad male:female ratio, see if the shop will swap some.

And don't forget that every female will have fry once a month  :) Even with all females, if they've ever been in a tank with a male they'll be carrying sperm packets and can have fry for another 6 months or so.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "10 days in, are my test readings to be expected for this length of time"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
75 Replies
Last post October 24, 2015, 01:01:02 PM
by jesnon
4 Replies
Last post December 17, 2015, 07:54:34 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101
1 Replies
Last post November 26, 2017, 12:24:33 PM
by Littlefish
21 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 10:08:07 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
by jaypeecee
16 Replies
Last post February 07, 2021, 04:40:19 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: