Author Topic: Snail problem  (Read 10630 times) 19 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Snail problem
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:29:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Folks!

I have been over run by pond snails!,

It seems that I was perhaps overly hospitable in allowing Speedy and his friends to stay!! I now need to get rid of them!

I know my options for doing this and also why the population has boomed but how can I make sure I remove all the baby snails from my plants?? I was considering getting some eSHa Gastropex and soaking my plants in it for a couple of hours. Is there another way that means I wont have to buy Gastropex??

Also if I go down the Gastropex route would it be safe to use on the plants in my shrimp tank, which are also covered in baby snails or will it kill the shrimps?

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Snail problem
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »
Hi Fishcake,
Could you not just get a couple of assassin snails. They'll get rid of your snails without affecting anything in the tank I think. I just caught a couple of baby snails in my shrimpery. I put them in my Betta tank as there's an assassin snail in there, but Barquentine beat him to it, went for the new snails immediately and now they're just empty shells.
 :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:08:49 PM »
I am not happy with chemicals to kill snails as I don't like adding anything that could possibly harm the other tank inhabitants. But I have just looked at eSHa gastropex leaflet (click on product information here) and it doesn't say anything about harming shrimps. But if you want to use it, I would email eSHa to ask them first. There is a contact form on their website.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:27 PM »
Problem with that is I have some snails I don't want to get rid of. Wouldn't assassins kill all my snails?

I'm planning to sell the MTS's and kill the pond snails, just want to know the best way to make sure my plants are free of baby pond snails.

Sue, I will check with eSHa before I buy any Gastropex.

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
Sorry, didn't realise you had other snails that you wanted to keep.   :-[

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »
I wouldn't like to use any snail killer in a tank where you want to be able to keep some snails. I last used the intestinal worm killer almost 2 months ago and I killed a snail a couple of weeks ago by putting in back in the tank too soon. Any of the chemical that isn't completely removed could kill the snails you want. I ran carbon (several batches) for a week, then polyfilter for several days and my snail still died. I assume the chemical had got into the algae which the snail ate, and no amount of carbon or polyfilter could remove it from there.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
I have some pondering to do then!!!

For eveyones information i copied this from the eSHa website;

1. Can I use eSHa products in an aquarium containing shrimps?
This depends on whether it is a fresh water or marine aquarium.

Fresh water:
All eSHa products for fresh water are suitable for use in fresh water aquaria containing fresh water shrimps. In the case of eSHa Protalon 707® it is important to monitor your water quality and to prevent your shrimps from eating too many dead algae (For more information check the Advice section, subject: Treating Algae).

FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
What snails do you want to keep? My assassins have done a great job keeping my pond snails at a minimum and seem happy enough leaving my three nerites and devil snail alone. From my experience they seem to target the smaller snails in the tank. As snails go, assassins are quite attractive and they rove around like little daleks at night and bury themselves in the day.

I avoid chemicals as much as possible as anything that kills something (be it bacteria, parasites, snails), is likely to have unwanted effects elsewhere in the tank. You also need to dose again if the problem comes back. My pond snail population is tiny now, which is due to reduced feeding and the introduction of other snails (the assassins eat the pond snails and the nerites eat their food source).

I would thoroughly recommend assassin snails as a solution to the problem, and if you find they're eating the snails you want to keep, just throw them in the other tank!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
Hi all,

I have ordered my assassin snails. They should be here next week.

That gives me time to seperate some of the MTS so I can sell them!

Thanks for your help guys!!

FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:33 AM »
I think that's a wise choice. Just as a word of warning, don't be surprised if the little blighters do nothing for the first few days or disappear into your substrate not to be seen for days on end. Once they settle in they are snail eating machines! Your biggest worry will be how to get all the empty shells out of your tank!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »
Hi there,

My assassins arrived today and by God are they assinating!!! I got 8, not the 5 I was expecting but I imagine they sent extra to cover deaths in transit ( wish the shrimp suppliers had done that  :()

I have had to rescue as many of my adult MTS's as I could find and my Sulawesi snail from certain death!

I gave them a dead shrimp for their supper which they enjoyed!!  :sick:

Don't seem to be bothering with the baby snails tho!?

I'm sure they will find them eventually, there are enough of the damn things!!!
FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »
8 assassins will have the tank clear in no time! I have 3 and don't have a pond snail in sight! They leave my nerites and Sulawesi snail well alone, though with more in the tank they may 'gang up' on your other snails. I've never seen it with my assassins, but read a couple of forums where people stated they had seen it happen. Give them a couple of days and I'm sure there won't be too many small snails left!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:49:13 AM »
I can confirm that they hunt in packs!!! There are three of them currently chomping one of my adult MTS ( I missed him on the SOS mission!) and I was too late to save my Sulawesi, he was in the same place this morning as he was last night and I've just checked and he is an empty shell.  :(

I'm sure they will serve their purpose but they are merciless, if you're the same size or smaller - watch out!!!

FC76

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
When I bought my first live plants (which seems many weeks ago now) I ended up with a tiny baby snail, thought he was cute so left him.
Then I read here and other sites about what a problem snails can be so a couple of weeks later when he reappeared I fished him out and into the garden he went.

When I got more plants recently I put on my glasses and went over every single plants carefully and rinsed thoroughly.
Last week, sitting in front of me on my glass, was another baby snail so out he went too. Doubtful if he was from the original purchase as the tank has been emptied a few times since then

Do Nerite snails produce viable eggs if there is just one snail?  I was going to buy one when I got the fish this week but got the impression that it wasn't a good idea if I didn't want to be over run with them.

Glad your problems are under control Fishcake, albeit a bit enthusiastically  :(

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »
Nerite snails need two for eggs. But the eggs don't hatch in fresh water, they need brackish water - that is water anywhere between fresh and full sea water as in tidal estuaries.
The downside to nerites is that if you do have a male and female, the female will lay sesame seed like eggs over decor, and wood in particular. These eggs are virtually impossible to remove. But they don't look bad once you get used to the idea.

Maidenhead Aquatics has started stocking nerites in abundance, all sorts of sizes and colours. The biggest are the zebra snails (brown and black stripes), slightly smaller are the red onion/tyre track nerites which are orangey red with black markings like tyre treads spiraling round the shell. And small grey and white spotty ones; small yellow and black stripey ones, with or without horns; plain brown ones with and without horns etc etc.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »
Brilliant. Thanks Sue

I've just been saying to the other half, as you do  ::), I was thinking - when we go to the not so LFS, it might be an idea to collect another couple of salt and peppers (I only have two and it should be 4 for their comfort) and then I could put them in the quarantine tank ready for when the big tank is cycled . Ho hum!!

He said "I thought you were going for more food"
Umm yes but it would be silly to do all that extra journey for a bit of food we might as well pick up the fish too and now a snail! 

Think I'd better leave that  bit until we're in the shop.  ;)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:37 PM »
Sanjo,
My local MA charges over 3 pound for a nerite. If I were you I'd get your nerites from ebay. Search 'neritina' and you'll find a seller that will give you 5 for 6 pounds or 10 for a tenner delivered! I got a bonus Sulawesi and MTS as well as the 5 nerites (one of each popular variety). One nerite was DOA and the assassins may have got the other, or he died shortly after delivery. The Sulawesi isn't the prettiest kind, he's mainly brown with a black head, but his behavior is amazing to watch. He buries himself and chomps any dead or dying vegetable matter in the tank, be it plants or peas. I think he's a very useful addition to the tank, though he was a pain in the a**e until some of plants developed proper roots. I'd just sit there watching the plants I'd just planted start popping out of the substrate as he tunneled along merrily below!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
Hi Sanjo,

Baby snails are incredibly sweet aren't they? I set up a cold water tank just for my bladder snails (not the same as pond snails as they have perfectly smooth shells and no spirals) when I first found them in my tank but once I'd reached about 20 and run out of ideas for naming them (yes, really!)I gave that up as a bad job and bunged 'em back in my tank. Now I have none left due to various treatments killing them off I think! I do however have hundreds of pond snails and MTS.

Are you sure your snail was a nerite?

The ones that come in on plants are usually pond snails and they breed like billio!! You may well have had eggs on your plants which are now hatching. Putting them in the garden will kill them as they cannot survive out of water, so it's probably kinder to squish them and let your fish eat them. My cories do a good job of eating squished snails but now I have the assassins I doubt I'll have to squish any more.

This website shows you some of the nerites that are available and I agree with Cod, ebay is the best place to buy. MA will be expensive.

http://www.planetinverts.com/snail_species.html

FC76

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 09:26:31 AM »
I doubt it was a Nerite Fishcake. More likely a pond snail.
I didn't think about its survival to be honest which was wrong of me.
We're all part of life's wider scheme and all that. In fact the other half has a little water feature in the garden they can go in that.

I hate spiders but nobody is allowed to kill them in this house.  I insist they are carefully collected in the special catcher and taken outside.
It's not the spider's fault that they give me the shivers. Having said that I'm nowhere near as pathetic about them as I used to be so  maybe I'll learn to be more laid back about pond snails.

I'll have a look at Ebay although I'm not sure I want that many snails. It's only a 60x30x30 tank after all.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 06:10:02 PM »
I didn't think about its survival to be honest which was wrong of me.
Yes. There is, however, a more important point raised, you did not think about the survival of other creatures in the environment either. The snail may have been a carrier of dread doomsday diseases; Or it may predate on some crucial organism in our local ecology, kittens for example!

Not every non-native species released into the wild becomes a pest, but the risk is real. So, unless you want the kitten protection league on your case please take care!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Snail problem"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 10:02:38 AM
by jesnon
4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2014, 03:02:36 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 12:48:15 PM
by Diz1
5 Replies
Last post February 14, 2015, 06:44:12 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 07:26:55 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 08:03:22 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2018, 10:33:23 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: