Shrimps & Snails Eating Dead/dying Fish?

Author Topic: Shrimps & snails eating dead/dying fish?  (Read 13151 times) 30 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Shrimps & snails eating dead/dying fish?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ahhh my word, that was a funny read. Ta al  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »
Back on the shrimp theme - but with a different question this time.

Tank No.2 has been mentioned a few times, with the amber/green light being pretty much green now ;D . However, I'm inclined to agree with my OH that a nano-sized tank is more realistic in such a small abode, which of course would not be large enough even for the micro species which still require at least a 45cm-long tank, and so am thinking about a shrimp-only tank.

A few possibly daft questions:
* I seem to recall reading that shrimp have a tendency to go walkabout and so the tank would need to be very well-sealed - am I correct?
* Does anyone have any experience of these https://uk.hagen.com/Marina-360-Cool-Desktop-Aquarium ? They look a possibility, there's one at a reduced price in a LFS, and they're not ridiculously/disproportionately expensive like some other nano-sized tanks. (Obviously, I would need to check if its lid is 'open' or can be covered, dependin on the answer above.)
* Is it possible to 'sex' shrimp in the LFS, and would a single-sex shrimpery work, so that not over-run with babies?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
Congratulations on your "greener" light.  ;D

I'm afraid that I don't have any experience of nano tanks, so no use at all on this one.  ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 09:13:51 PM »
That tank is do-able provided the filter is sensible, ie not too strong for shrimps (150 litre per hour is 15 times tank vol per hour  :o ) and has sensible media (ie not just a carbon cartridge).
But I'd prefer something a bit bigger.

How big is the available space?

It is possible to sex shrimps provided you know what to look for. The easiest shrimps are cherry shrimps which come in a few different colours now though the red ones are easiest of the colours. Cherry shrimps have been selectively bred from brown wild ones, and yellow, blue etc are even more selectively bred with resulting delicateness (if there is such a word).
Any shrimp that has what look like berries (eggs) between the swimerets is female. Any shrimp that has a saddle shaped mark on its back is female (eggs swelling the ovaries). That will account for some of the shop shrimps.
males have a flatter underside to their abdomen, females are curved as they have to be able to carry eggs. Males are paler than females.

Shrimps mainly go walkabout if their water is not to their liking. They don't like any ammonia or nitrite or high nitrate. If you can provide the water they like they should stay in the tank, though the odd one may go wandering just because it can.
They usually climb cables to get out.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
Hello fcmf,

As far as I know none of my shrimps (red cherries & amanos) has ever gone walkabout.

As far as sexing of cherries is concerned, Sue's description is spot on. I too found it difficult at first, but soon you will differentiate without any difficulty.

As an aside, I bought 4 new Fire Red Cherries for my shrimpery today, to improve the gene pool. I asked the guy in MA for 2 males and 2 females. He started with 2 berried females - easy - and after that he too was swimming in deep water! So, I ended up with 3 berried females and a male! I wasn't going to complain!

Skittler

PS     Glad to see that your MTS is alive and thriving ........aaaaaargh!

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »
If you can provide the water they like they should stay in the tank, though the odd one may go wandering just because it can. They usually climb cables to get out.

:o Oh my days!! My 55l future shrimpery is escapable if thats the case!!

Sue you know you said wild cherry shrimp are brown...my clear shrimps in the 200l are apparently colourless cherry shrimp, according to the guy in MA. Also how brown are wild cherry shrimp? I ask because I picked up 2 CS from another shop and by comparison to my bright red ones, they do look brown

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
Very, very helpful; many thanks, all.

How big is the available space?
This is in the multi-purpose room and the only available space so far is a tiny patch of 12cm x 27cm! ::) Think I'll have to make a concerted effort to clear out some / a lot of paperwork this weekend!

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 09:42:11 AM »
Fiona, there's photo of a wild cherry shrimp on here. I too have shrimps so pale they are almost colourless rather than brown. I wonder if that's due to the selective breeding that was used to create the red line, maybe they bred another colour out so when there is insufficient red they look colourless.
And there are different grades of red cherries - 'plain' red cherries, fire red cherries, sakura cherries, bloody mary cherries etc etc. The pricing of them tends to be the redder the more expensive.

fcmf, one thing to avoid is mixing the colours of cherry shrimp as they are all the same species and will produce muddy coloured offspring if they breed.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 11:42:08 AM »
muddy coloured offspring if they breed.

Ah that explains my muddy red cherry shrimp then.

Some of my cherries look like the wild one in that piccy Sue, I brought them from 1 supplier and the muddy red one came from another.

The majority of my shrimps come from MA. The manager there actually brought in some sakura shrimp from his own grade A tank for me. He said his have got so red because he regularly removes the less colourful ones and keeps them in a separate tank (grade B), the less red ones are the ones he usually brings in to sell.

I found this on Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine

"The fire red shrimp may also be found under other names such as Taiwan fire red, painted fire red, and Sakura shrimp, which has been described by others as the predecessor to the fire red. The different names given to this shrimp have come about in an effort to distinguish the amount of red cover on each successive selectively bred generation of shrimp.The goal of breeders is to produce shrimp without any translucent parts, as these are considered the highest grade. Shrimp of such high grade are referred to as painted fire red shrimp. "

The ones from MA manager are solid deep red.

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:38 PM »
I've just realised there is a whole page on wild cherry shrimps on that site here

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »
They loo like my clear ones except that the saddle and eggs are black not green  :-\

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimps & snails eating dead/dying fish?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 08:32:49 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 03:43:12 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 09:17:15 AM
by Sanjo
28 Replies
Last post March 05, 2015, 11:45:39 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 10:05:40 AM
by Sanjo
8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2018, 11:38:45 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: