Author Topic: Shrimps, Planaria and Hydra  (Read 6645 times) 9 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Shrimps, Planaria and Hydra
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello All,

As you have possibly read elsewhere on here, I have recently waged a long, but successful battle against a mammoth bacterial bloom and the attendant white growths, slime and stench in my "soon to be" shrimpery. (Sounds like a sewer doesn't it?). However, within 24 hrs. of returning bogwood, a Java Moss coconut and a small piece of Bacopa to the tank, I now have an invasion of both planaria and hydra. The bogwood and coconut had been stored for some time in the w/c bucket in dechlorinated water, whilst the Bacopa was allowed to float in the 125L. I have tried to photograph both, but my macro photographic ability is somewhat lacking, so here is a description:

Planaria
These are white and up to about 5mm. long, and are both on the glass and elsewhere. They have a "head", which is slightly larger than the body. They seem to glide effortlessly across the glass. I did have several short outbreaks of something similar whilst fishless cycling the 125L, but they soon disappeared. I never saw any on a surface, just wriggling in the water after switching the filter back on following a water change. At the time, I was convinced that they were living in the filter. Since adding fish, I have not seen them.

Hydra
These are also white, are attached to the glass, and each has a number of tentacles waving in the flow. I have never seen these in the 125L, but they can't have come from anywhere else.

I have looked at a number of photographs on the web of both, and I am sure that's what I have.
The only other visible living things in the tank are the inevitable "hitch-hiking" snails and the above plants.

From what I have read, both of these organisms could be bad news for baby shrimps, so I need to eliminate them before stocking. However I am likely to transfer more, when I move plants from the 125L. As I understand it, both these invaders are carnivorous, so perhaps if I just left the tank "empty" for a while, they would starve to death? But, on the other hand, they must have been living on something in the 125L ..... snails?

I have read about some chemical treatments, including fenbendazole (I think?).
Would transferring a few fish temporally from the 125l solve the problem? ...... but they presumably aren't eating them in there. Perhaps fish food is tastier?

As always, I look forward to your advice and expertise,

Skittler

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Shrimps, Planaria and Hydra
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:51:10 PM »
I have something small and white in my tank. Too tiny to see if it has a head. Some are long some are round and you have to stare really hard to find them. I am assuming they are copepods and I'm hoping if I put in a few fish they will sort them out.

As for the hydra I definitely had that.  Where it came from I do not know. The tank had been up and running or ages before I saw them so I think they must have come in on the shrimp of possibly the plants.
Fortunately for me they were all on the piece of fruitwood in there so that came out and was boiled.

I put it back in several days later and all was well but yesterday I saw what I think was a smaller, finer version of it on the glass so I squished it and took it out

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:28:23 PM »
Hello Sanjo,

I needed to use quite a good magnifying glass to be sure about the Hydra. I could then see their tentacles quite clearly. And, lo & behold, the light has just come on in the 125L, and I found some small ones on the front glass! I had wondered why my oto's spend so little time on the front glass these days, as it's going green again ...... perhaps they are being stung by the Hydra. All I need now is to decide what to do with the Shrimpery ......... maybe it's time to "prove" the cycle with a 3ppm dose of NH3, and see if that sorts one or the other out!

Skittler

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »
The planarians you describe are very small and are probably what are known as microturbellaria. They would be unlikely to pose a threat even to baby shrimps and have probably been feeding on protozoa etc., maybe even on your bacterial bloom. Only larger planarians, which can be up to 2 cms or more long and are usually dark coloured, might be a possible danger.

Hydra feed on Daphnia and similar sized creatures, so a baby shrimp might be the ideal size.

The fenbendazole is primarily used as a medication to treat internal worms in fish so might be effective against hydra, I guess.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
I know that flubendazole will kill hydra, and that is the active ingredient of Kusuri Wormer Plus. But the pack says "This medication can kill some species of snail as well as other large parasites and invertebrates. Do not use in aquariums where nerite, trumpet or ramshorn snails etc are kept".
I used wormer plus as the first med against the camallanus worms last autumn. It didn't kill my last amano shrimp, but that doesn't mean it won't kill any other species.
In the UK, fenbendazole is in eSHa-ndx.

This is the problem, things that will kill hydra could well affect shrimps.

Apparently, pond snails will eat hydra but not many people want pond snails in their tanks.
Heat, since there are no fish in there yet - one webiste mentions turning the heater up to 40oC for 2 hours, but if you try this method I would check the filter bacteria are still OK before getting shrimps.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
Thank you both,

After having another good Google, I now realise that flu / fen / bendazole are two different chemicals ......... it's my age  :isay: ...... doh!

Richard -  from the pictures and descriptions I have just seen, I think you are exactly right - microturbellaria.

Sue - there is good evidence that flubendazole will kill both hydra and planaria. So, I am going to order Kusuri Wormer Plus, and we will see what happens. Perhaps then, I can think about my Red Cherries ........ unless, of course, the Fishy God decides to punish me again.

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 02:54:33 PM »
I know that wormer plus will kill hydra - I used it for that many years ago and ended up killing my nerite snails when I put them back in the tank too soon. If you do try this, I would recommend running carbon in the tank for a while before getting shrimps, just in case. Use a small amount of carbon and change it every couple of days for best effect.

Plymouth Discus is the place to look for wormer plus, both the shop itself or Ebay/Amazon. It is a powder and the smallest pack I could find when the fish had camallanus worms last year was the amount to treat 500 gallons. The dosage is 0.3g, or one scoop (provided) per 136 litres. You won't need much for your tank!

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »
Hello All,

Well, the tank has been dosed with Kusuri Wormer Plus. At the time, I could see a number of hydra and dozens of the "little white worms" on the glass. Within two days the hydra looked distinctly unhappy, and all the worms seemed to be heading south towards the gravel. After four days, the hydra could not be seen, and the worms were in and on the black gravel, and appeared to be consuming something. I could see them quite clearly on and below the front edge of the gravel. The med does not appear to have affected the worms, even though they are much less evident on the glass. Also, I am fairly sure that some of the "hitchhiker" snails have been killed, but others have survived. The worms could also be eating these.

I do wonder if these worms, which, as Richard says, are not planaria, are in fact what are often called "detritus worms" by fishkeepers. Several sources say they are beneficial, as they help to break down the detritus. I have never seen them on the glass of my 125L, as I expect the fish love them. It could be that many/most of us have them, but are not aware. They are only visible in my shrimpery because there are no fish to eat them from the glass, and the gravel is black. Also, I have probably suffered a "plague", due to the bacterial bloom providing food for them.

The instructions for the med say that it will kill Nerite, Trumpet, Ramshorns etc., and that it will bio-degrade after four days, and that a water change is not necessary. I will, however, be doing at least one large w/c before stocking.

Now, I have to make the filter shrimp proof, and decide which plants to steal from the 125L. I think that it might be a good idea to soak the plants in a bucket of Kusuri W. P. solution for a few days, as a precaution against further "unwanted transfers" (sounds like our new centre forward!)

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 08:19:17 PM »
Hello Shrimpers,

Well, it's now 10 weeks since I first set up the tank............and at long, long last I HAVE SHRIMPS !!    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Today, I purchased 4 "Red Cherries" and 4 "Red Fire Cherries" from two different LFS's. The first batch was 2 males and 2 females, both of which were "holding" according to the manager. I asked him if he meant "berried", and he looked at me as if I was from another planet! The second batch look like all females, but I'm not sure as they are all quite small. I really can't tell the two "types" apart, (Red Fire etc.) as they are all quite red - much more so than I had expected.

I took a couple of hours to acclimatise them, and they have been in the tank now for about two hours, and seem to be OK so far. I have seen them on the bogwood, Java Moss, filter, and plants, and they look as though they are eating. So, without more ado, ........ I'm off to the pub to celebrate  :cheers:

Thank you all for your support and advice, it was much appreciated,

Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
I think the two are the same species, the fire reds being selectively bred to get the colour. Wild cherry shrimps are brown, all the red - and blue, yellow orange etc - have been selectively bred. Having batches from 2 different shops means you have extended the gene pool, which is a good thing. In several months time if the shrimps you have now breed a lot, you'll need to get more from a third shop. I was very cheeky and asked them to catch me one berried female. For the cost of 1 shrimp, I got a dozen or so babies with 'new blood'  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimps, Planaria and Hydra"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
92 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 04:55:03 PM
by Sanjo
0 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 08:16:17 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 10:05:40 AM
by Sanjo
10 Replies
Last post January 01, 2020, 03:08:07 PM
by jaypeecee
9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2018, 10:39:21 PM
by daveyng
8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2018, 05:34:58 PM
by jaypeecee
1 Replies
Last post October 19, 2018, 07:06:56 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: