Shrimps!!!!

Author Topic: Shrimps!!!!  (Read 20358 times) 92 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Shrimps!!!!
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2015, 08:05:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yes, thanks for the encouragement Sue.

Was this topic area always available or has it been created to meet our new found diversity?!

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2015, 08:51:29 PM »
I was just wondering about that Fishcake. I certainly can't remember seeing this topic area before :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
A member contacted me this evening to suggest a new section (do you mind if I say who it was??). So I contacted Robert to ask him and within minutes we had a new section. He's been moving the obvious threads into the new section since then.

All you have to do is ask   ;)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2015, 09:07:12 PM »
I think it's a great idea to have a special area for shrimp and other invertebrates. Thanks to Sue, Robert and whoever it was who suggested it in the first place! :cheers:

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:08 AM »
A member contacted me this evening to suggest a new section (do you mind if I say who it was??).
Since I'm not getting the cheque, why would I mind the kudos?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »
In case you haven't guessed, it was SteveS's idea for a separate shrimp section  ;)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
Hooray for Steve! Good idea and thanks! :cheers:

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
Hello  Shrimpers,

After days of serious pondering, I thought I ought to let you all know that my Shrimp Project is on short term hold at the moment. I have decided to re-organise my furniture now, before I have a shrimp tank full of water on top of a cupboard. This also means that the large desk in the bedroom will have to go......and this might create enough space for another (AAARGH!) much larger tank. Will keep you posted.

Skittler (AKA The Ponderer)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »
Ok Shrimpers,

I started the furniture move yesterday as promised, and I started to suffer from what I can only describe as "future shrimp withdrawal symptoms". So, in serious pain, I put down the hoover and the screwdriver, and the cupboard, and visited 4 LFS's in the space of about 3 hours. I had decided that as well as buying the black substrate for the future shrimpery, .....I would (maybe) look at some Amano's for my 125L community ....which of course, was where this all started! The first one had none, the second had more planaria than shrimps in the tank, (won't be going there again!). No.3 had some, but they weren't labelled or priced, and looked terrified, all piled up in a corner of a bare tank. No.4 however, (Richards Aquatics) had some beauties. So, I now have 6 good sized Amano's buzzing around. They have already taken control of the bogwood and the Java Moss coconut. I didn't realise that they were such good swimmers! All my symptoms have gone...... just going to check KH/GH etc. to make sure that nothing has changed. Back to the furniture......

The Pondering Skittler

PS - I forgot the black substrate......just have to go again.....but not to No.2 !!

Offline Sue

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2015, 02:21:29 PM »
In order to mitigate any further shrimp withdrawal symptoms, you now need to study the ones you have to see if you have males, females or both. With mine, males had rows of dots down their sides, females had rows of dashes.

And if you think they can swim, wait until a female is ready to breed and releases hormones. The tank will be full of males whizzing all over to find her. The downside is that although the female will carry eggs under her abdomen, the shrimp larvae need salt water to survive.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
Hello Sue,

Symptoms are still absent, and the Amano's are amazing!!
Just checked the four that I can currently see. Looks like 2 males, one female, and one that could be either (oh no!). I am amazed at how quickly they have settled in. It's like they have been there since day 1. They are between 2-3 cms. long, and are feeding, and competing well with the fish. So far so good! Now, back to the furniture. The sooner that I can get it done, the sooner I can have my cherries .......and there's a golf competition tomorrow morning......perhaps it will snow.....!

Skittler

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »
Quick question!

Do berried females still moult?

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
I'm not sure. I think they moult just before releasing eggs from the ovary and then again once the eggs have hatched. I'm pretty sure about the latter. When I first got shrimps, they died trying to moult. I had put my last berried female in the QT to keep an eye on her. I got up one morning to find she had died trying to moult but there were tiny baby shrimp in the tank, and she'd been alive with eggs the evening before. All the shrimps died with a white band across their backs which is typical for a failed moult, according to what I read.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2015, 01:18:20 PM »
Well my shrimp numbers are dwindling!!

I have lost another two shrimps. One chocolate (that's all three gone now) and another yellow.

I can't understand why!!

I am feeding sparingly, adding Beta Glucans to the tank and doing small water changes each week (about 6 litres) with a gravel siphon every second week (usually about 10 litres) I'm adding dechlorinator to the water, matching the temperatures, water tests show 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.... Is there anything else I'm missing?

I have two berried females but at the rate things are going I'm just waiting for them to die.  :-\

Can't work out what is going on.

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »
When my shrimps were dropping like flies a couple of years ago, they all had a white line across their backs which was apparently the sign of a failed moult. Do yours show anything like that?

The only consolation I can give is that when it happened to me, the baby shrimp survived and formed the basis of my now thriving colony.

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2015, 11:19:43 AM »
Hooray for Steve! Good idea and thanks! :cheers:

Indeedy!   :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
Well both my berried females are looking ready to pop!!!  I anticipate babies any day now! I can see the little shrimp eyes in the eggs so hatching is days away!!,  v.exciting and quite apt I think for Easter time!!!

Watch this space!!!

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »
Don't be too worried if you don't see anything of the babies at first, they are tiny! And check the old water after a water change. They'll be maybe 1mm long when first hatched.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »
ooh, exciting times Fishcake. I've had no luck with my females yet. I have several berried ones, but they don't look anywhere near ready to pop. Mind you, they've had a few changes to put up with and a filter that wasn't working at its best. I also added a special shrimp substrate so that I'll be able to keep red crystals later down the line. I'm now dosing the tank with Bacter AE a couple of times a week as well. My hope is that all of this will eventually lead to success. I've had no actual losses, but no gains either if you know what I mean.
Mind you, when did the little blighters ever do what we want them to do, when we want them to do it? :)

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
We have babies!!!!!!!

Mummy red has had her babies although I have no idea what she's done with them!!! I've looked in all the likely places with a magnifier and torch and I can't see them but she has no eggs anymore (or at least she only has one or two eggs now) so I'm sure she's had them.

I'll keep a close eye over the next few days. I know they are teeny weeny when first born.

I have ground up some shrimp cuisine and put that in the likeliest areas of the tank (with the filter off until it had settled).

Mummy looks like she needs a moult. i hope she manages it tonight. And doesn't die whilst she's trying.  :-\ actually, I'm gonna put a bit of Beta Glucans in now as well!

I'll keep you posted.

FC76

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimps!!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish
5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 08:49:06 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 08:14:59 PM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 07:25:16 AM
by chris213
0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 07:26:26 PM
by Robert
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2018, 06:02:19 AM
by Rustle
8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2018, 11:38:45 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: