Shrimps!!!!

Author Topic: Shrimps!!!!  (Read 20273 times) 92 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Shrimps!!!!
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 03:09:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I believe they normally carry the eggs for 30 -45 days in total, though I guess they are well into that before they are really noticeable.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »
Oh well, I'll just keep watching and hoping. Thanks for the advice! ;D

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 09:53:04 PM »
Hi all,

I have made a couple of decisions regarding my shrimp and shrimp keeping in general. Firstly, I am over feeding. I have been putting small amounts of food in every day but then leaving the shrimps to eat to their hearts content. On researching this, I have discovered I should be putting a small amount of food in and then removing any excess after a 5-10 minutes.

I didnt feed them yesterday as they ate the body of the yellow female that died during her moult but tonight I put some tiny pieces of Classic Shrimp Pudding in two egg cups and then lay them on their sides in the tank and let the shrimps feed for about 7 minutes ( they were enjoying it so much, I didn't like to interfere!!)

Secondly, patience is as important in shrimp keeping as it is in fish keeping. I have been stressing about the sex of my shrimps and peering at the females through a magnifying glass to see if they have eggs but to be honest I've decided they will mate when they mate and have babies when they have babies! This leads me nicely to my third point....

I'm gonna get a few more males as I have space because I lost three females to help the process along!!!!

If any fellow shrimpers are interested in trying the Classic Pudding you can get it here and probably in other places too!!!!!

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 11:51:06 PM »
Hi Fishcake,
Re: over feeding, I think I'm also guilty of this. I'm using Hikari shrimp cuisine and I've been leaving it in for a few hours. The reason for this is that my shrimp seem to wander up for a feed when they feel like it. It does all go eventually, but there's only 5/6 shrimp in the dish at any one time, so I've been leaving the food as long as it takes for all of it to be eaten.
However, I gave them a slice of cucumber today and it was mobbed. I couldn't see it for shrimp! So maybe you're right. Just leave it in for  few minutes then remove it. Will try that tomorrow. :cheers:

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »
One of my red females is berried!!!

She was very quiet last night so I suspected she was due to moult, then this morning I haven't been able to find her until just now and she is absolutely brimming with eggs!!!

I'll keep you posted on any developments. Just going to make her a cup of camomile tea and get her to put her feet up! I may pop a film on for her, what do you think - Finding Nemo?!  ::)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »
Hi Fishcake,

Good news! Not sure about the Finding Nemo film. What about the scene where the krill are panicking because the whale's coming after them? Might not keep her relaxed! What about a nice Blue Planet ocean episode? (You can always tell when something nasty is about to happen because David Attenborough's voice changes and it gives you plenty of time to switch to something else – point noted from personal experience because, though I like and value all kinds of wildlife, I don't like to see it being hunted and killed in glorious technicolour detail).

In my tank, I lost some eggs yesterday and now have 2 more berried females. However, one of them also seems to be in the process of dropping its eggs as well – I can see them hanging outside of the shrimp's abdomen. Not sure if there's anything I can do or add to the tank to prevent this, so I'm just going to be patient (as advised by Richard W) and hope that I eventually get some shrimplets.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »
My mummy shrimp is keeping quite well hidden but she is feeding so I hope she'll be able to hang on to her eggs and have her babies.

Incidentally, whilst looking at her through the magnifying glass, I spotted some small white dots about 1mm in size, moving around on the glass. At first I thought they might be baby shrimps but on looking on the Planet Inverts website, I've decided they are these dudes!!!

http://www.planetinverts.com/copepod2.jpg

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
Ooh that's annoying and very strange! Hopefully it's just delayed in the post. If it helps I was utterly bewildered by how to properly dose it in my tank and added a very small blob (since apparently 1/5 of the spoon is for 100l! So that's... 1/25 for me!?... I'm waiting until you get yours and have worked it out!! However I did also finally find my shrimp's food that I lost for ages which they seemed happy with. I'm wondering whether I should try and get a couple more shrimps - maybe at least one other definite male? Since I'm hoping they have little shrimpy babies at some point!

Hi,

My beta glucan arrived today. Did anyone work out how to measure 1/5 of 1/4 of a teaspoon, which would dose for 100L and then work out the dose for 21L????  Or doI just do a 'very small blob' too?

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 01:00:15 PM »
I use the tip of a microspatula which somehow I never handed back in to the chemistry department many, many years ago.
Basically, I just guess.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
Hello Shrimpers,

Still pondering......I'm good at that! I've looked at so many tanks! Currently, I've got my eye on an Aqua One 45, with a 3 compartment
Moray 320 canister filter included. I could also, I hope, double it up as a "fry raising tank" at the same time. (My Panda Cories spawned for the first time yesterday - it was amazing to watch - even two of the Oto's got excited!). This filter has 3 removable media chambers, sponge, carbon, & ceramic, and an adjustable outlet/spraybar. As Sue has suggested above, I could easily replace the carbon canister with finely crushed coral for my soft water. Any thoughts on suitability?

Also, Sue - I think you have sand in your shrimpery - and also pygmy cories, who will love the sand. Would any other substrates also be suitable? I have read that a dark substrate improves the colour of the shrimps?

Saw some nice looking cichlids as well......aaargh.....
                                         Keep Shrimping
                                                       Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2015, 02:14:44 PM »
More or less any substrate will be fine for shrimps. You could even go with coral sand if you want to raise the hardness for shrimps; not crushed coral, though, as I think the particles might be a bit of the large side for them - or at least the bag I bought years ago was. The downside to coral sand is that it is pale in colour, and you are quite right that dark substrates are supposed to enhance the colour of the shrimps.

The Moray 320 has a turnover of 320 litres/hour. What is the exact model of the tank you are looking at? According to Aqua One's website, they do a 45 in the AquaLED range which has a Moray filter, is that the one? If it is, then it's 45 litres (I guess that gives it the name  ;) )which means the filter turns over 7 times the tank volume per hour, which might be a bit much for shrimps. The bigger models of the Moray filter have an adjustable flow but the instructions say the 320 doesn't. Having said that, with a spraybar it shouldn't cause too much of a problem for shrimps. And the 3 section design does allow space for coral in place of carbon.

The dimensions for the AquaLED give a total volume of 51 litres so it looks as though the water volume is 45, unlike my Eheim tank and my betta's Aqua One AquaSpace tank which both quote the volume as including the air space above the water line  >:( . This is a good size for shrimps.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »
Hi everyone!

Just wondered - is stringy poo bad news in shrimps like it is in fish?

I have noticed the last couple of days that the shrimps have been quiet and less active and now today one of yellows has stringy poo.

I added a tiny dot of Beta Glucans, dissolved in tank water on Wednesday but other than that nothing else in that tank has changed.

Any ideas?

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »
Amano shrimps trail a huge length of poo behind them, though I haven't noticed that with my cherries, just lots and lots of short bits on the tank bottom.

The problem is that, to quote planetinverts, having shrimps in the aquarium hobby is only about 15 years old and not much research has been done into shrimp diseases, let alone on treatments for them.

I'm afraid I don't know about stringy poo in shrimps  :-[

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »
Hi all,

We've all been very quiet this weekend!!

I decided my shrimps were being over fed so I haven't fed them for a couple of days. They have all become a bit livelier today but I haven't seen my Chocolate Sakuras for a day or so.  :-\

I have fed them this evening, just the tiniest bit of shrimp cuisine but I wanted to ask how every one else feeds their shrimps. By this I mean do you put the food in a receptacle that can then be removed if food is not eaten, or do you just feed really tiny amounts?

I have a tiny bowl that I put their food in and then remove about ten minutes after they have found it but this isn't proving to be very reliable as I never know for sure who has eaten and who hasn't.

Other peoples methods would be useful to know please!!

Thanks,

FC76

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »
Hi Fishcake,

I found a lady on Gumtree who was selling 10 Cherry Shrimp for 10 pounds. Seemed like a good deal and after all the talk of shrimps on the forum I decided to pick them up. I added them to my tank of 8 female RCS and they seem to be settling in well.

I don't target feed my shrimp as they are in the main tank with my fish. They seem to get enough from the leftovers and algae. I try dropping some shrimp food in from time to time, but my platies have munched it before the shrimp have a look in.

From what I have read, and advice from my LFS, shrimp need very little food and given their sensitivity to water quality, less is definitely better than more!  When I did have 4 shrimp in a separate tank when I was treating the main tank, I would give 3 pellets every 3-4 days and this seemed to be plenty.

I must admit, I love the look of your shrimp tank. The yellow ones in particular look fantastic!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 11:23:34 PM »
Hi Fishcake,
I must admit, I'm struggling with the feeding as well. I have a small Pyrex dish lid that I put the food in - Hikari shrimp cuisine - I laboriously counted the shrimp and then put one pellet in for each of them. I do tend to leave it for a couple of hours, because they don't all feed at the same time, so I'm concerned that some of them will miss out if I remove the food too quickly. It is all gone after a couple of hours though.

Most of my females are berried now and I have had a couple of them dropping their eggs. As yet, I'm not too sure why, so I also worry that not having enough food will cause this to happen.

I've been feeding cucumber or courgette once a week, but again, they seem to take their time eating it.

Maybe I should leave them without food for a day or two and see if they eat it more quickly? They all seem quite lively at the moment, so maybe it wouldn't do any harm to skip feeding for couple of days?

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
Thanks for your replies!

I think Cod has a good point about less being better than more. I shall probably just add food every couple of days and only such a small quantity that the shrimps and snails should have no trouble clearing it up.

I have found this website, which seems to have good information and advice on it. I'm gonna join their forum as it is dedicated to shrimps so there should be lots of good advice from them.

http://www.petshrimp.com/articles.php

The chap on here who writes the articles says in his general FAQ's that overfeeding is one of the most common mistakes with new shrimp owners.

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2015, 09:53:19 AM »
That website is one of the two I use for shrimp info. The other one is planetinverts. A third one closed a month or so ago.
A shrimp forum is the best way to gain info; the same applies to any species-specific forum rather than a general forum like this one.

I too can't say how much I feed the shrimps as I have cories, sundadanios and nerite snails in with them. But because I have shrimps of all ages and sizes from newly hatched to full adults, I grind the Hikari shrimp cuisine pellets up in with a  pestle and mortar. I put a small pinch of the ground up shrimp pellets, micro sinking pellets and crushed flake into a small container of water, to make the pellets sink, and feed that six days a week. Day 7 is frozen cyclops (the only 'live' food small enough for the fish). Of course the shrimps eat some fish food and the fish eat some shrimp food.

Offline Sue

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »
I have just finished water changes on 3 tanks. It took ages going through the bucket from the shrimp tank - 15 tiny babies, one a bit bigger and one almost adult sized.

I am not saying this to show off how well my shrimps are breeding but so that those new to shrimps can see what is possible when things don't start well.

Two years ago I bought several batches of red cherry shrimps from different shops. They all died. In desperation I put the last berried female in my quarantine tank. She died there but after the eggs had hatched giving me around 12 baby shrimps.
I persevered with these babies and with help from Natalia they survived and bred. I swapped shrimps with her last year so we both had new genes in our tanks. I bought a berried female a few weeks ago to widen the gene pool again.
I have no idea how many shrimps I now have. It is impossible to see more than a tiny fraction of them at any one time.

The moral of this is: if you are having problems, persevere. Do as much research as possible and take advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. Without Natalia, I would have given up two years ago but her advice gave me the thriving colony I now have.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »
Fishcake, thanks for the link to the website, it looks very informative. I'm also going to cut down on feeding as well as per the advice on the website. Will give them a tiny bit on Wednesday and see how they get on.

Sue, thanks for the advice and the encouragement to persevere. When I first got into fish keeping, I had no real thought of keeping any invertebrates but they're just as entertaining in their own way and i do want to make a success of my shrimpery. I'm also thinking of adding some crystal reds once i have a bit more expereience :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimps!!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish
5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 08:49:06 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 08:14:59 PM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 07:25:16 AM
by chris213
0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 07:26:26 PM
by Robert
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2018, 06:02:19 AM
by Rustle
8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2018, 11:38:45 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: