Shrimps!!!!

Author Topic: Shrimps!!!!  (Read 20312 times) 92 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Shrimps!!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Have a good look at the yellow in a day or two. That sounds like mating  ;D And since the two sakuras are both Neocaridina heteropoda.......

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!!!!

She was the one I thought had eggs in her saddle.  I hope I'm gonna be a proud shrimp Nanny!!!

:)

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »
Congratulations" looking forward to hearing about future developments!  :D

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »
Hello Shrimpers,

You lot have done it now! AAARGH! Just when I thought I had fought off an attack of the dreaded MTS (the Cichlid variety), it's back! All the research I have done into these charming little crustaceans, has convinced me that I really need a smallish new tank just for them........and you lot are all to blame! (Mind you it will be a lot cheaper than the Cichlid tank...for the moment). I visited 3 LFS's this afternoon, one of them had about 20 tiny baby RCS in one of those fry nets, and he offered to give them to me.......if only I had another (cycled) tank......AAARGH....see what you've done?  So, which tanks/filters etc. do we think are suitable?......and I will go and get one! Now, where did I put that ammonia.....

If someone starts a cichlid thread in a couple of months.......I will probably be incurable.....it's only a small bungalow....
                                                Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »
It does help with MTS sufferers if they have husbands/wives who hate fish unless they are cooked on a dinner plate and absolutely refuse to allow any more tanks  ;D

For shrimps, anything from 20 litres up. They can be kept with fish as long as they are carefully chosen. The tank needs a lid as shrimps have been known to climb out, though if the water quality is good, they shouldn't feel the need to escape.
A heater set to the temp the species you buy requires and a filter that doesn't blast the water around. For small shrimp-only tanks, a sponge filter driven by an air pump is ideal. If you want an internal so you can steal media from your other tank, something small with adjustable flow. I have an aqua internal 50, Maidenhead Aquatics own make, in my betta's tank which can be turned so low the flow almost stops.

Plenty of decor is needed, preferably live plants and at least one cave for the shrimps to hide in when they moult (it is instinctive and they still do it when there's nothing else in the tank). You can be as imaginative as you like about the caves  :D

Food needs to be such as Hikari shrimp cuisine and courgette/cucumber slices. They will also graze on micro-organisms on the decor, if you have something in your main tank you could move over that would be ideal as it will already be covered with bio-film.

The crystal red shrimps you saw prefer soft acidic water. If yours is hard and alkaline you would be better with cherry shrimps, or one of the other colours of Neocaridina hetermorpha (yellow, orange, blue I think, and anything with sakura in the name)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »
Hee hee, you'll never be able to rest till you get some now. Just give in, it's easier than fighting! As for your small bungalow, that's perfect – shrimp are small too! :D

I got a bit of a shock when I went into my office to turn out the lights last night. There was a really odd looking creature in my shrimp tank. It was twice the size of anything else in there and was a brilliant fluorescent orange and it just sat there waving these huge long antennae about. Then I looked a bit closer and realised it was a normal shrimp that was sat on top of the heater guard just above the orange light indicator, so the light lit it up from the inside and made it look huge and really weird. I wonder if the other shrimp thought it was some kind of giant species as well. Gave me quite a turn!!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
Hi all,

I've sadly lost two more shrimp. A red went missing just before the water change and a yellow, who appeared to have got half way through a moult and then got stuck. Her head and front legs were all stuck in part of her old skin and her legs seemed to be stuck together. She was still alive when I found her with her little back legs kicking frantically. I am going to get something to add to the tank to help with moulting. Why would that have happened do you think?

Otherwise all seems well, although the rest of them seem a bit subdued today and yesterday one of my yellow females (not the one who has died) was doing circuits round and round the tank. I read that this could be because the water was in some way bad, so I tested and nitrite and ammonia both 0 and nitrate about 15. The other thing that was suggested by my reading was that she was preparing to moult. Can anyone confirm this or offer any other suggestions?

I've been struggling with the whole sexing thing but managed to work it out after I found a good picture on line. As far as I can tell I have 2 males (brown and blue) and 8 females. However the two I think are males are small so could be females!?!?!

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 12:02:21 PM »
Hi Fishcake,

Sorry to hear about your losses! My water is very soft up here in Scotland, so I use mineral blocks to help with moulting. They have calcium and vitamins in them and they slowly dissolve over 2 weeks. Since I added my shrimp, I've found 2 moulted skins in the tank, so I presume it does help. You can buy these blocks on Ebay and they're not that expensive. I think mine cost about £1.99 plus postage.

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 12:29:19 PM »
When I first got shrimps back in 2013 they all died trying to moult. I found various reasons on-line including insufficient calcium. But Natalia on here said my GH was high enough at 6 deg so it wasn't that. She suggested another cause is a bacterium common in tanks which affects shrimps and although there is medication that can be used she and shrimp breeders prefer to use an immunity booster beta G. I got some from ebay and when it finally arrived (the first pack was lost in the post) I started using it at every water change. It did make a difference.
And for Neocaridina heteropoda, the colours other than red are even more selectively bred than red ones so tend to be more delicate.

If your GH is low, try calcium blocks; if it isn't you could try beta G. A lot of on-line fish shops seem to sell it, google genchem beta g

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Hi both,
I already have some calcium blocks but haven't used them because my water is quite hard so i didn't think i'd need them. I read about your beta G adventures Sue and have just found some on line so, I may get some.

My water parameters, last tested yesterday, PH 7.2, GH 21gd, KH 6-10gd.

What do you reckon I should do?

FC76

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »
I would try the beta G.
I also found that shrimps born in my tank did quite well, so maybe emerging into my tank water and growing up in it meant they developed immunity from the start and weren't suddenly exposed to any pathogens as adults.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 10:17:45 PM »
Hello Again Shrimpers,

Fishcake - sorry to hear about your problem, hope you sort it out soon.

Diz1 - I've given in already....off to MA tomorrow!   

Sue - you're right about that wife "thingy" not liking fish.....but she departed a while back for pastures new. I wouldn't have dared to mention a tank within 100 yards......used to have a rusty old 4 foot about 97 years ago! She wasn't impressed!
 I think I confused CRS/RCS - those babies were Cherries. That filter sounds good. I have plenty of vallis and bacopa, and a nice piece of bogwood which I can borrow from tank 1 (aaargh...MTS). As my tap water KH & GH are low, would there be space inside it for some crushed coral - or should I use something else? I would like to try and get the water similar to the 125 if I can.
                                           Keep Shrimping
                                                        Skittler

Offline Sue

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 09:47:27 AM »
If you were to get the same filter as I have in my betta's tank (the one in the link), the media is a hollow sponge with carbon inside. You could always swap the carbon for crushed coral. The filter I had in the tank before this one has a sponge about half the size of the new one. I squashed most of the old sponge into the hollow and sliced a bit off the new sponge to make room for the rest of the old one. You could try something similar, filling the hollow with crushed coral and taking a slice off the sponge to make room for some media from your other tank. For just shrimps, checking the new tank could remove 1ppm ammonia in 24 hours would be enough for their bioload.
Glad to hear they were RCS not CRS, as cherries are much the better shrimp for shrimp newbies  ;D

Forgot to mention in the other post - the MA filter has various outflow attachments but the spraybar is the only one that can regulate the flow.

RCS = red cherry shrimp, a variety of Neocaridina heteropoda
CRS = crystal red shrimp, a variety of Caridina cantonensis

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 10:04:12 AM »
Thanks Sue.

That sounds like a good plan.

I will be off to have a look shortly.
                                       Skittler

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 10:57:23 AM »
Hi shrimpers, I need some advice please!
I've just looked in the shrimp tank and can see what looks like a group of green eggs sitting on my java moss coconut. One of the shrimp was kind of rummaging through them with its legs, but it has now moved away.
The eggs are very small and I can't see anything in them, so I assume they are infertile. Should I move them in case they pollute the water?
Is this a good sign, meaning that they will eventually reproduce, or does it mean that there's something wrong with my shrimp or the tank environment? ???

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 02:15:51 PM »
*EDIT*

Now I've got another shrimp rummaging through/eating these eggs. Anyone got any ideas what I should do? Take them out or leave them in?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
If they are shrimp eggs, it would take an awful lot of them to have any significant effect on the water. I'd just leave them. Shrimp eggs stay on the female until they hatch, so they are either infertile, dead or not shrimp eggs.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »
They couldn't be anything else because there's nothing in there with them. Before the shrimp, there had just been 1 male siamese fighter in there, and I'm pretty sure the eggs aren't his! should I be encouraged or discouraged by this development do you think?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2015, 02:38:09 PM »
It is said that young females sometimes drop their early batches of eggs. I think you just need patience  :)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
Thanks Richard,
just noticed another female full of eggs, so hopefully success will follow soon :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimps!!!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish
5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 08:49:06 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2013, 08:14:59 PM
by jesnon
6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 07:25:16 AM
by chris213
0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2015, 07:26:26 PM
by Robert
5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2018, 06:02:19 AM
by Rustle
8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2018, 11:38:45 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: