Author Topic: Shrimpery Water Change Frequency  (Read 4439 times) 6 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Shrimpery Water Change Frequency
« on: July 02, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello Shrimpers,

In my 125L community tank, the w/c frequency is driven by the nitrate level (40ppm). However, in the shrimpery, now 3 weeks after initial light stocking, ammonia and nitrite are zero, and nitrate is 5ppm - which is my tap water level. I am hoping that the plants are controlling the nitrate at the moment. I have just done a 10% w/c with a jug, because, like most of us, I am mortified at the thought of sucking up a shrimplet.  :yikes: So, the questions are:

1) As, (like the 125L), there is no mulm, is it necessary to siphon the substrate?

2) How do I decide how much and how often to w/c, particularly if the nitrate level stays low?

Thanks as always,

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Re: Shrimpery Water Change Frequency
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »
Hello again Shrimpers,

Now I know you're out there, because 68 of you have read the above. Any thoughts?

Skittler

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:07:51 AM »
Hi Skittler,

Sorry, i've just seen this.
This is just the way I do things (with a bit of advice from Seb at Pro shrimp thrown in).

Because I have a fairly heavily stocked shrimpery (I think – it now has 10 micro rasboras in there as well), I change 30% per week. Seb thinks 20% is OK for a low level of stocking, but I'm sure other shrimp owners could advise on this.

I used to just do changes with a jug, but I've now started using a syphon. I use a syphon that I think is originally meant for a bio orb. It has a blue squeezy bit that you use to start the syphoning off. It also has a screw on attachment on the bottom which has a plastic grid. I take this off when syphoning my shrimpery, which leaves a very wide opening so that if shrimp are sucked up, they won't be damaged.

I syphon the water into a white bucket because the shrimp are easier to see on a white background. Shrimp do get sucked up, but they're easy to see and I just fish them out using my special shrimp net and pop them back into the shrimpery (it's worth getting one of the special nets that retains its shape because the shrimp are less likely to get damaged. I just put the net into the tank and they swim out of it very calmly).

Seb (pro shrimp) says that shrimp can take fairly large water changes (though I have seen other threads on different forums that suggest that this isn't so good for them) as long as you don't dump large quantities of water in suddenly. So, unlike my fish tank, I dribble the changed, dechlorinated,  water in very slowly – it does take a while. Then I put some Bacter AE in (supposed to help the biofilm, but don't know if it's strictly necessary. Other people use beta glucans at a water change, and I've just got some but haven't tried it yet).

All my fish and shrimp appear to be thriving, so I hope I'm doing the right thing! Others will, no doubt do things differently, and probably better, so don't take this as gospel.

Hope it gives you some ideas though.

Diz1 :)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
Thanks Diz,

That is excellent! I like the idea of both the siphon and the rigid net - although I've never seen either in an LFS  - but of course, I was looking for fish & shrimps. The thought of a shrimplet getting a rapid and unexpected helter - skelter ride down my "home brew" plastic tube into a bucket, and then captured in a floppy net bothers me. Can you remember where you bought them?

Incidentally, I dosed with Beta Glucans from the beginning, and after my initial 3 losses, everything has been fine so far. Although, I do suspect that stress plays a large part in the issue.

Thanks again,

Skittler

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »
I didn't reply as I'm not a shrimp expert.

I'll just add a couple of things to Diz's answer.
I do 2 smaller water changes a week as I have almond leaves and alder cones in the shrimp tank and a larger water change would change the water parameters too much. I clean the tank floor as I have nerite snails in the tank and they poo rather a lot. I know that shrimp poo grows micro-organisms that are food for baby shrimp but I don't know about the unsightly snail poo. And as I have sand, those big black bits just sit there.
I use a wine making siphon tube for this tank which is narrower than most fish tank siphon tubes but I find this easier to use with sand. I start it by filling the tubing with tapwater and let the first bit (the tap water) run into another bucket then collect the tank water in a light grey bucket - as Diz says, it is easier to see shrimp in a light coloured bucket.
I use a fish medication pipette with the end cut off to make it wider to suck baby shrimp out of the jug I use to empty the bucket. With larger shrimp I carefully decant them into a cheesecake pot, suck out the bits with the pipette and lower the pot into the tank so the shrimp can swim out.

The cherry shrimp in this tank are thriving with this treatment, but they are the hardiest and easiest of all the shrimps we can buy. I bought 5 crystal red shrimp a few weeks ago. My pH is a tad high for them (hence the almond leaves and alder cones) and my hardness is right at the top end for them. I have found 2 dead crystals and can only find 2 in the tank; I don't know if number 5 is also dead or just very good at hiding. Is it my water they don't like or the way I maintain the tank?

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
By the way, I'm no shrimp expert either.

I got my shrimp net from pro shrimp, but you can probably find them on Amazon. The syphon was from Amazon.

I think Sue is right about smaller changes for her tank, and this would probably work for yours as well Skittler.
The reason I do a 30% change once a week is because of my specific water/shrimp requirements.

I have very soft water and I have some crystal reds in my shrimpery. These are on a special substrate, which buffers the water to a constant PH 6.5 (otherwise it's 7.2, which is too high). I also add minerals called salty bee, which maintains the GH of the water. I mix these in to the correct levels at each water change, so it's easier for me to do a once-weekly change.

If you don't have to do all of this (or possibly even if you do – I'm  not sure), then I'm sure that smaller and more frequent water changes would be great for the shrimp. :)

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »
Thanks Ladies,

That's a massive help.

As far as your experience goes - and my distinct lack of it - never forget that "in the Kingdom of the Blind, the one-eyed man is King".   :isay: Your advice is invaluable.  :)

Skittler

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimpery Water Change Frequency"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 11:25:19 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2014, 08:30:01 PM
by SteveS
6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2014, 01:33:37 PM
by Flaree123
16 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 08:28:18 PM
by fishcake76
20 Replies
Last post March 01, 2020, 05:39:52 PM
by terra firma
5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 05:12:37 PM
by Charlotte
7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2018, 08:30:20 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: