Author Topic: Shrimp  (Read 5798 times) 15 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Shrimp
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:01:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi everyone,
My Juwel Rio 180 has now been running for around 8 months now and is as stocked as I want it to be, with:
BN plec
Cherry barbs
Gold barbs
Red chinned panchax
Platies (male)
I would really like to try some shrimp now. The guy that sold me the panchax(who is a local breeder, very well thought of up here) has some cherry shrimp that he's bred coming up for sale in the next week or so. He's actually been out to see my tank and thinks his shrimp will be fine in there. However, I'm a bit concerned that their size means they'll end up as dinner for my fish.
The tank is heavily planted, with lots of hiding places. Water parameters are good: ammonia 0; nitrite 0; nitrate 20; PH 7.6 (7.4 on high PH test). Water is very soft - Scottish. I understand that I may have to use calcium supplements for the shrimps' shells because of my soft water. Is that true?
The question is, would Amano shrimp be better size-wise? What puts me off these though is that they're wild caught and I'd prefer to have all tank bred stock.
So, I'd prefer to go with the cherry shrimp if possible. Will they be OK in my tank do you think?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 09:04:18 PM »
Cherry shrimp adults should be OK though I suspect any babies will indeed become fish dinner.

People with soft water often do have to use calcium supplements. My GH is 6 german degrees, which seems to be OK without supplements.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »
Thanks Sue. Is there a way of fishing out the babies (perhaps using one of those fry tank things that you can suspend in the tank) until they're big enough to go back into the main tank, or is that a daft idea? I know it would mean being very watchful and diligent, but is it possible?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
I suspect the fish would find and eat any baby shrimps before you see them.
Shrimps are fairly nervous creatures, not surprising since they are high on the menu for many fish, and I would think that quite large and boisterous fish such as platies and gold barbs would not be ideal companions. They would likely spend most of their time hiding away.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 08:20:19 AM »
Hmmm. Thanks Richard. I must admit, that's what worried me about the cherries and what made me think the amanos might be better for size. I just don't like the thought of taking them from the wild. I've heard that bambo shrimps are interesting and too big for fish, but again, I think they're wild - caught.
I don't like the thoughts of the poor shrimp hiding away in fear all the time either. Perhaps I should just steer clear altogether then, or have a shrimp only tank. I wonder where I could hide that from the OH? :))

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:24:58 AM »
I have one Amano shrimp that I inherited with a second hand tank. I only see it about once a month and keep assuming it's dead, but then it suddenly makes a brief appearance. It's a quiet tank, but the shrimp still spends all of it's time hiding away among the plants and bogwood, very well camouflaged.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 08:28:43 AM »
Hi Richard,
I suppose that's a natural defence mechanism in the wild, too, but there must be more places to go and hide in the wild than there are in the confines of my  180 litre tank!

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
Diz, what you do is set up a quarantine tank just for the shrimp - explain that it must be new so there is no risk of contaminants. Then just leave the shrimps in there. This is how I ended up with three tanks. "I'll put this betta in the QT" then "the main tank is too big for him and he won't get on with the other fish, I'll leave him here". Then of course I had to get a new QT  ;D

Bamboo shrimps are also very hard to feed and often die of starvation. They are filter feeders and unless you have enough food particles floating in the water, they die.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02:26 AM »
Hi Sue,

I must admit, I've been thinking along those lines. At what point in our fish-keeping lives do we start becoming super-sneaky!!
My only problem with that is that I've Barquentine doesn't get on with the Sterbais, he'll have to go back into his old tank, so that would mean I would have to have 4 tanks if one was dedicated to shrimp only!

Not sure if I'd get away with that. Some more scheming is required I think!  ;)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 03:07:48 PM »
Update on the shrimp(less) situation.
So, having thought long and hard about this issue, I've decided that I can't go with shrimp in my community tank. I couldn't cope with the thoughts that I'd manufactured a situation where I added a creature that was unable to live without fear of being predated by my other fish (that it happens in the wild is something I have no control over; that I create a similar situation is something that my nerves couldn't stand).

This leaves me with 2 options:
 Option 1 - I have my Aqua nano tank up and running with 3 Sterbai cory (lost 1 on first day, not sure why but water parameters are all spot on and the other cories are doing very well).
I intend to add 3 more cories then try adding Barquentine, my male Betta. If Barquentine behaves himself, then he'll stay in this tank because it's bigger than his current tank.
If Barquentine doesn't behave, then he'll have to go back into his current tank and I'll add 6 ember tetras to the Aqua Nano. Would shrimp be OK with 6 Sterbai cories and 6 ember tetras?

Option 2 - assuming Barquentine is a good little Betta, he'll stay in the Aqua Nano, which leaves his current tank free for a shrimp only tank. This would be the best scenario. It leaves me without a QT tank, but I'll get one at short notice if I have to and hide it where hubby can't see it - subterfuge and trickery, as ever, are always an option!

So, if the worst comes to the worst, can Sterbai cories be kept with aquatic shrimp?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »
Sterbais are fairly big cories compared to my little pygmies. I have tiny baby shrimp with my pygmies; they don't eat them but bigger cories might. They should leave adult shrimp alone, though.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »
Thanks Sue,
I do think that a shrimp only tank would be best, but if Barquentine doesn't  like the Sterbai cories, then that does limit my options.
On the subject of Bettas and cories, what would be the best way to introduce them? Should I wait to have the full number of 6 cories, or would I be better adding Barquentine now, when there are only 3 cories in the tank, then add 3 more cories later?
 Had planned to feed Barquentine first, then put him in the tank with the cories. I also planned to do this first thing in the morning so that I could monitor the situation over the rest of the day. Is that the right way to do things? How long should I leave it before making a decision as to whether or not they settle down?

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 03:46:57 PM »
Bettas are territorial, cories are not; in fact they don't understand the concept. It is always safer to add territorial fish last so they see the other fish as part of the scenery rather than intruders into their territory which is what can happen if you add the betta first. But increasing the numbers of already-there fish shouldn't be a problem.

Adding Barquentine that way sounds fine. If he attacks the cories in the way my betta attacked a wood louse I accidentally got in the tank, remove him immediately. If he shows great interest but doesn't try to rip them apart, watch and wait. Bettas have been known to live fine with other fish until something makes them snap, which could be a couple of months down the line.

But having said all that, cories are usually the better tank mates. Monochrome so no colours to trigger his 'another betta' reflex. No long flowing tails to trigger it either. And they tend to stay on the bottom of the tank, out of the way. I think it was all those wriggly legs that had my betta trying to dismantle the wood louse, it looked too much like food.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 03:51:11 PM »
Thanks Sue,
So, just to clarify, I could try Barquentine with the 3 Cories I have now, then add the other cories later. Have I got that right?

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:09:44 PM »
It should be fine. Having some cories in before him should be enough to stop him seeing the extra ones as invaders.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
Great. Thanks Sue. I'll give it a go and see how he gets on then. :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
40 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 06:46:58 PM
by Resa
3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
by tropicalhabitat
8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 12:24:16 PM
by chris213
6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 10:13:11 AM
by chris213
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 04:12:58 PM
by Rich_D
25 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 05:36:00 PM
by fishcake76

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: