Author Topic: Plant pots for shrimp tank  (Read 6088 times) 8 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Plant pots for shrimp tank
« on: May 28, 2015, 08:33:05 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning everyone,
I am moving my shrimp from a 23 litre to 64 litre tank.
Because I have some red crystal shrimp, I am using a special substrate (red bee sand), which I don't think is suitable for plants. I am also going to add some micro rasbora and ember tetra, and they would benefit from plants.
My plan is therefore to plant up some mini terracotta or plastic plant pots (using tetra complete) for the plants to root into, and topped with the red bee sand. I think I might even try some long plant trays along the back.

So, is terracotta (from the local garden centre rather than specially made for use in aquariums) OK to use in tanks, or would plastic be better?

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Plant pots for shrimp tank
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
I'll be interested in this reply as a similar question was posted on another fish website and I said that you had to be careful with new pots because of something in/on them and got shot down in flames by an arrogant member.

Instead of new ones, because of my concern, I scoured my garden shed for small old ones, or larger broken bits for making an arch.  I then scrubbed, simmered, soaked and repeated, just in case there was any residue from unsuitable plant food, chemicals etc.

I've used them in both the shrimp tank and the 60cm and nothing untoward has happened.

New ones would obviously be easier so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »
Thanks Sanjo,
I think that's why I posted this query. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I've heard something similar about new pots so any advice would be welcome. That's also why I mentioned plastic pots as an alternative. :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:06:53 AM »
I use terracotta pots in my tanks as caves and I've had them with amano and cherry shrimps with no problems. I use brand new pots rather than ones that have been used for garden plants, then reuse them in tanks as required. The only problems I've had have been with the sticky labels on the pots. Obviously I couldn't use nail varnish remover or surgical spirit to get the labels or glue residue off so I just peel the paper off and use fine grade sandpaper to remove the glue left behind. It doesn't show when the pots are wet.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
Great Sue, thanks for that. I'm not a gardener anyway, so the pots will have to be new. Off to the garden centre then! :)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:23 AM »
Telling my husband about this post and he has just reminded me which part of safe or unsafe I was concerned about.

A couple of months back I was looking for new small clay pots and he reminded me that I kept rejecting the ones I found because the label said they were GLAZED and I was looking for unglazed so I expect that's what I was thinking of.

For anyone thinking of using clay pots for fish I did come across a post somewhere online when somebody put a pot in and their fish got caught in one of the holes when it panicked, so maybe make the hole bigger or close it with silicone first

Also edges should be smoothed if, like me, you use broken pots to make arches.

I covered the curved edge of a pot weeks and weeks ago with an opened out marimo moss ball and it is still looking good.  I fully expected after a few weeks that it would turn brown but it hasn't and the shrimp like it.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
I should have mentioned about the holes in the bottom of the pot if used as a cave. I siliconed a piece of craft mesh over the hole in the one in my betta's tank as they are notorious for getting stuck in small spaces. But I leave the hole open when I use them for apisto breeding caves as they make a good entrance for the female.

And I sand rough edges as well. Terracotta is soft enough to do this easily. The apisto breeding pots have a notch cut in the rim - I use a tile saw to make that.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »
I shall be keeping an eye on this thread :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:42:05 PM »
I use pieces of terracotta pots in the bottom of my shrimpery, I fished around the garden (excuse the pun) until I found some bits the right size and shape, washed them, boiled them, snaded down the rough edges, washed them again and then gave em a soak in treated water before I planted them up with java moss. They look quite nice I think.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plant pots for shrimp tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 02:43:19 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 09:14:30 AM
by Sanjo
25 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 05:36:00 PM
by fishcake76
6 Replies
Last post November 20, 2015, 10:18:35 AM
by Diz1
33 Replies
Last post July 15, 2016, 11:29:06 AM
by Fiona
17 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 07:43:38 AM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2023, 11:56:40 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: