Author Topic: Rescued my baby shrimp  (Read 3057 times) 3 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Rescued my baby shrimp
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all and a Happy Newish Year!
Well as my shrimp tank was showing a slight trace of ammonia I decided (despite no gravel cleaner as it's given up the ghost) to do a water change, placing the pump, filter sponges etc into the waste bucket and pouring the waste water on top of them

I jugged the water into a clean waste bucket using a white jug and checked the jug water very very carefully as i remember Sue saying that on a number of occasions she's had to rescue shrimp from the change bucket.  I can be 99.9% certain that there were no shrimp in the jugs of waste water.

I didn't think to check the bucket until I'd taken out about 7 litres of water and was amazed to see at least 10 shrimp swimming around, not new borns either, although nothing like full grown.

Now I did look at the filters etc before I popped them into the bucket and there wasn't anything obvious on them, so where did they come from

I do have black sponge strips on the edge of the filter compartments (which I put there originally to stop the endlers that I had at the time from jumping into the space there) and again I'm sure that there wasn't anything on them.

I know realistically that they must have been on one of the sponges or filter cloth but I don't see how I could have missed them.

They aren't a bright red but they had enough colour for me to see them at the base of an orange bucket.

The only thing that I didn't check was the pump as I couldn't get it open (fingers aren't good today) but I did check that compartment and surely if they were living in the pump, which is extremely powerful for a 22 litre tank I would have seen some left in the water after the pump was removed. Could shrimp, little ones at that, live in a powerful pump without being mashed up?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Rescued my baby shrimp
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »
As long as they avoided the impeller they could have survived in there. But I have found that shrimps can hide anywhere.
All my plants are fixed to wood, or wound through wood, so I lift out the bits with java fern, bolbitis etc attached to them, leaving just the wood with hornwort draped through it as that makes a mess everywhere if I lift it out. I shake each bit of wood before removing it, then dunk it in and out a couple of times before putting it in the bucket. After I've removed water into another bucket I then put the wood back in the tank, and there are always shrimps in the eighth of an inch of water that drained out of the plants. I've learned to just empty that bucket straight back into the tank.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »
Thanks Sue.
I'll have to be more careful next time, especially as I'm hoping to replace the gravel cleaner soon so am likely to "hoover" more of them up.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
I don't have problems with gravel and gravel cleaners as I have sand and just use a length of tubing but I still hoover up even largish shrimps. They just don't want to move out of the way! It is compounded by the fact that I can't do a water change with the lid on as the access hole is too small. No lid = no light so I can't see that clearly where the shrimps are.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Rescued my baby shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
33 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 08:25:53 PM
by AdyDnt
4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2014, 12:00:21 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 03:58:55 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 10:51:42 AM
by Skittler
4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 11:35:38 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle
3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: