Author Topic: Greedy Amanos  (Read 3908 times) 6 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Greedy Amanos
« on: April 02, 2015, 01:02:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello Shrimpers,

Last night I fed an algae wafer for the first time since adding these amazing shrimps to my 125L community tank. I always put the wafer (in two pieces), in the two areas where the otos and the pandas hangout. I do this shortly after adding a small amount of flake for the others, and I have enjoyed watching the ground crew feasting many times on both wafers and catfish pellets. This time, knowing that shrimp like algae, I managed to break the wafer into 5 pieces, and added them to the same areas. What happened next was astonishing - the amanos went straight to the pieces, picked them up and disappeared, leaving the smallest male amano without any (5 into 6 doesn't go). Two largish females had a right "set to" over the biggest piece! Thirty seconds later, not a shrimp to be seen anywhere! Meanwhile, the otos and pandas were looking somewhat bemused! Hopefully, the fish found the leftovers. I am beginning to think that the dominant "fish" in my tank won't be a fish!. A certain Glowlight Danio, who thinks he "rules the roost", is possibly in for a surprise!

Skittler

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Greedy Amanos
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »
I'm working my way around to the soon to be obsolete Nano tank becoming a shrimp tank. Sowing the seeds on the lines of "We really ought to be thinking of using it or the grandsons will be disappointed and a few shrimp won't tank up much room". Answer "Huh!"

We haven't told our daughter and grandsons that we have bought a bigger tank so unless I can say we have decided to have shrimp in it and thereby using it, I'm trying to keep quiet.
Not easy when I'm excited that the fish are ALL still alive.  I have to watch what I'm saying.
I did a video last night of the new fish and the other half said are you going to show the boys.
No, I can't, because I nagged number 2 grandson about his tank being overstocked and I've done the same, albeit temporarily.
The only way I'd get round that is by telling the truth and saying we upgraded the tank.

They don't come here very often, we usually go there but come Easter Sunday when we re there for lunch I bet I put my foot in it.

On a lighter note, my Glowlights have discovered food and fight now as hard as the WCMM

I'm looking forward to my shrimp having a fine old time with a wafer. One day maybe!!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
This is where a hammer comes in useful. If you shatter the wafer into dust, they'll all get some  :)

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 06:23:41 PM »
 I feed my cories with sinking pellets, before the pellets go in not an amano shrimp in sight.  Pellets go in 4 shrimp appear from nowhere and steal the pellets from under the cories barbels.  They then retreat to the plants with their stolen bounty.  The other day one had managed to steal 2 pellets, I know they have lots of legs/arms but even it was strugglingly to keep hold of them.

The scariest thing was seeing one catch and eat a life blood worm, which I have given the fish as a treat.  For some reason I thought they were veggi as they ate algea but thinking about it they are really clean up crew. :sick:

Anne

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
Shrimps will eat animal matter. That's one way you know there is a dead fish in the tank. I wondered why lots of my cherry shrimps were all clustered on one spot when I got home this afternoon - there was about a quarter of a dead shrimp under the pile.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:53:08 AM »
Hello Shrimpers,

One of the Amanos moulted last night, and presumably has gone into hiding. The "shell" soon disappeared - I think the Pandas had it, as the moult took place in their "cave". I hope it has survived. The trouble is, this tank is so heavily planted, and they are so quick, that counting them is impossible! All I can see look fine.

Sue - I went back to just breaking the algae wafer into two. The shrimps tried their luck, but the pieces were too big or heavy to steal. They just sat behind the two piles of Pandas & Otos, and cleaned up the leftovers - perfect!

Skittler

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 04:09:39 PM »
Hello Shrimpers,

Last night, the fish in the 125L got their weekly treat of freeze dried tubifex. Two pieces, sliced off a cube, and pressed onto the front glass about halfway down. Even the Panda Cories have learned to mix it with the others. This time my largest Amano flew up the glass, and stole the biggest piece - never to  be seen again! Doesn't take them long to learn, does it?

Skittler

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Greedy Amanos"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 08:27:58 PM
by fish-friends
31 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 11:37:42 PM
by TopCookie
16 Replies
Last post February 08, 2020, 04:45:57 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: