Got Them!

Author Topic: Got them!  (Read 3032 times) 8 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Got them!
« on: April 17, 2015, 07:27:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
All 12 of them.  Young lady met us at Victoria Station. We arrived an hour early as my other half said there was a massive problem on the District Line. Of course we didn't think to check before we left that it had all been cleared. Still better early than late.

She had them in a jam jar and showed me them. A couple are bigger mostly they are tiny but they were only born in late January.  Said they were a bit stressed so they were very pale but she pointed to a fairly red one and said they will all be like that and she also thought one was pregnant.

I had taken a thick tea towel, brown paper bag, hand warmers to swaddle them in but they came in a jam jar and plastic bag.

My husband said it was so warm on the train I was likely to cook them before i got them home if I added the heat so I just wrapped them in the tea towel and tried not to jiggle the jar.

An hour later I got them home and started to acclimatise them. Did it slowly, for hour and a quarter. 10ml of water out, 10 ml of water from the tank in. Did this every 15 minutes.

Then, in my infinite wisdom I decided, as they were in a jam jar I would not be able to net them so got a new tea strainer, put an empty bowl next to the tank, decanted the shrimp into the strainer and into the tank. Bloody things were jumping all over the place. It does not bode well for my night's sleep.
One jumped straight out of the strainer back into the waste water jar so that had to be rescued.

Put them all in and they disappeared - for all of two minutes that is.

7 of them were straight out and on the plants and moss. Boy do they move.

I might be imagining it (Wishful thinking and all that) but at least these 7 don't look stressed. It's more like Wheeeeeeeee look at us!!

One of them seems to be a palish yellow, a couple are transluscent and only two of this 7 appear to be red. Still, if they are all there in the morning I shall be one happy lady.

I am watching them as I type this and they are zooming all over the tank, one has just done an acrobatic display but not like a spiralling fish. It looked more like enjoyment. We'll see.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Got them!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:15:30 PM »
Glad you got them home safe and sound. My shrimp are barely recognisable from the pale little chaps I brought home 5 months ago. They are bright red and about four times the size they were. Female shrimps are much redder and larger than the males.

Good luck with the little blighters, and glad to hear they're settling in to their new home!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:43:02 PM »
Yay! Welcome home shrimpies!

They do move don't they?! We should have warned you that they jump I guess but you quickly become accustomed to their movements!

Hope they all colour up nicely and settle in well and don't panoc if you don't see all of them at once, they will hide at various times, usually after a moult. Also don't panic if you find little empty shrimp shaped skins, these are the moults.

It may pay for you to invest in some Beta Glucans. This helps them have successful moults. I bought this one and use literally a sprinkle at each water change.

The other thing to remember is not to overfeed. The petshrimp.com website has lots of useful info on it and helps prevent you becoming a neurotic shrimp owner!!!

Good luck and enjoy!

FC76

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
Thank you both. Got up early but had to search the tank and I thought there was a dead one floating, turned out to be a bit of leaf!

There is the larger pale yellowish one bobbing up and down at the top of the water but those that I can see still seem happy pootling around the gravel and sand to I wont panic today. Not going to feed them today. There must be loads of algae/boifilm in the tank as there was only one tiny snail.

We parted on the journey home yesterday, my husband going off for a meal then football so he wasn't here to see the antics of me getting them into the tank and there as no light on the tank when he got home.

He was so surprised when he couldn't see anything at all. "So you've bought invisible shrimp!"  He can't believe they are fascinating little creatures at all.

I've told him I didn't get them for their looks, well not this lot anyway, if they breed and they breed reasonably well, I'll have shrimp for the bigger tank which will help to keep it clean when we go away. If I master this lot then I now want a shrimp only tank of Fancies.

I asked the girl what she fed them on and she said she didn't. She keeps them in with her fish and there was always plenty for them.

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 06:57:31 AM »
My shrimps only get fish food as well, they seem to be doing fine on it.

As several have said, don't judge the colours until they have settled in and grown, the difference can be amazing.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 07:55:01 AM »
Don't be too upset if you lose one or two over the next few days, they can be quite sensitive little creatures.

My shrimp are in the main tank too and I don't bother target feeding anymore. The fish tend to eat anything I throw in the tank including hikari crab cuisine. They seem happy to grab the scraps my fish leave behind, be it flake, pellets, peas or algae wafers. They also munch on any leftover 'live' food like bloodworm or brine shrimp.

They need very little eat and the dangers of increased ammonia and nitrites from over feeding in a shrimp only tank far outweigh any benefit.

I woke this morning to find three of my male shrimp furiously swimming around the tank. Then I noticed the moult in the corner of the tank, so I suspect there'll be a berried shrimp in there soon.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:05 AM »
I never fed anything special to the amanos in my big tank, they ate whatever the fish ate and since that last one was over 5 years old when the wormer medication killed it, they must have found something to eat.
I do feed Shrimp Cuisine to the cherries in the smaller tank, though the fish will eat most of it and the shrimps do eat fish food as I've seen them with the different coloured micro pellets I put in the for the cories. I got the Shrimp Cuisine when I was trying to keep the baby shrimp alive in the QT. I ground it to dust to feed them. And as I have some left, I may well use it but won't replace it when it runs out.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »
Congratulations on getting your shrimp Sanjo!
I think they're every bit as entertaining as the fish. I have them in a shrimp only tank because I wanted them to have babies without them being eaten, but I'm sure yours will be fine as long as there are plenty of hiding places. As mentioned already, you might lose a couple over the first few days, but they should settle in well. Happy shrimp watching!!

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »
I have them in a shrimp only tank, with a fair bit of planting and moss balls and a couple of hides. In fact I think I have too many hiding places and they are hardly seen.

Yesterday there were two bigger ones, (just tried to upload a photo but they wont take  :()
but I haven't seen them today.
They are not as active as the 7 were yesterday and I haven't seen all of them together at all.

I shall give them their first feed tomorrow as I have our granddaughter coming and maybe with a wafer or a bit of courgette they might come out.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: