Feeding Assassin Snails

Author Topic: Feeding Assassin Snails  (Read 5526 times) 9 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Feeding Assassin Snails
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I now have my assassin snails in an unfiltered, but cycled, 15L Range plastic tank. (Having decided to add 4 nerites to the 125L - I thought it best not to take any chances!) . I have been giving them flake, freeze dried tubifex, and algae wafers, feeding every other day at the moment. I was quite surprised to find that the algae wafers contain 45% protein, including "fish and fish derivatives, molluscs and crustaceans", which is probably why they eat them.

Now, although I have a piece of the local limestone in the tank, and occasionally add a small "calcium block", the frequency of water changes means that KH and GH do vary,and have to be monitored regularly. I want to ensure that there is enough calcium and carbonate in the tank.

I have read recently that Hikari Crab Cuisine contains added calcium. Has anybody tried feeding this to assassins?

Skittler

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Feeding Assassin Snails
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I don't feed my Assassins, they look after themselves. I don't have precious Snails I need to protect though.

I have noticed that the Assassins climb the glass and devour the JBL Novo Tabs which I stick to the front of the tank.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 10:24:24 AM »
Thanks Simon,

I wasn't really aware of the JBL range. Their website indicates that the Novo Tab could well be an improvement on what I'm feeding now. I also prefer the system of sticking it on the glass (like f/d tubifex). I will give them a try.

Thanks again,
                                        Skittler

PS   On the assumption that fcmf and yourself have been "promoted", then congratulations are in order......unless of course I've missed something that I should have read.........?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:27 PM »
It's not been officially announced but well spotted, Extreme and fcmf are now moderators too.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
.. I also prefer the system of sticking it on the glass (like f/d tubifex). I will give them a try

That's interesting because I have f/d Tubifex too but mine just won't stick to the glass.
I end up breaking a cube apart and floating it. They do enjoy it, but I'd prefer it if it stuck.

Do you do anything special to make yours stick?

PS   On the assumption that fcmf and yourself have been "promoted", then congratulations are in order......unless of course I've missed something that I should have read.........?

Thank you.  :cheers:

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »
Hello Simon,

I use King British freeze dried tubifex, which comes in approx. 6mm. cubes. I cut one of these into thin slices, with a sharp knife which I keep just for this purpose. In my 125L, I slide one or two of the slices down the front glass in different places, and just press. If a greedy amano gets there first and manages to steal one, the ensuing free for all around the tank can be quite fascinating. Otherwise, I can watch my smallish fish attack it and feed. They do enjoy it! I imagine any larger fish would probably be able to steal it.

Skittler

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 06:31:58 PM »
I put my tubifex cubes in a small pot of water until they rehydrate, then stir everything up into a tubifex "soup". I pour some of this into the water, the fish go crazy for it, though nowhere near as much as for the brine shrimp cubes or dried bloodworm that I treat in the same way. I prefer to rehydrate the food before the fish get it, I think there is less chance of problems that way. I reckon the water in the "soup" is full of the smell of the food which is what gets the fish so excited. They are pretty keen on their standard flake, but their reaction to the "soup" is far more enthusiastic.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:46:39 PM »
Thanks Skittler and RichardW I shall be trying both of these techniques.

I have to say I can't wait to see how the fish react to the soup.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »
The JBL Novo Tabs arrived yesterday, and I put one on the front glass about half an hour ago. It is now covered in Assassins. Those that are not there yet, are all heading in the right direction, with their "trunks" extended and pointing the way. Definitely more popular than the other foods. I feel a lot happier now that they will be more content in their new home. They will be added to the feeding rota.

Excellent suggestion Simon - much appreciated. 

Skittler

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 10:32:17 AM »
I'm glad your Assassins like it as much as mine, although I wish my Assassins would let my fish get a look-in sometimes.  :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Feeding Assassin Snails"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
by notungz
5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 07:28:54 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 08:40:45 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 12:37:29 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2018, 05:56:11 AM
by Rustle
4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 10:10:05 AM
by TopCookie
3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2023, 10:53:40 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: