Author Topic: Cyclops invasion!!  (Read 8990 times) 32 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Cyclops invasion!!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 10:42:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks fcmf,
Inverness is a good 3 hours away from me unfortunately. We do have a Maidenhead Aquatics coming to Aberdeen in June though, so quite excited about that.
In the meantime, I've been contacted on Facebook by someone fairly local - will be collecting some little Boraras on Thursday!
 :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2015, 10:59:42 PM »
Great on both counts (ie Aberdeen store and Thursday's collection of Boraras), Diz!

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »
I know, I'm really pleased.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 02:49:03 PM »
Nice one with the boraras  :)
Do you know which species? Brigittae and urophthalmoides are very difficult to tell apart, it's down to the black spot at the base of the tail.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 03:29:25 PM »
Apparently it's Briggittae, but I'll know for sure when I collect them. I'm very pleased and quite excited!
By the way, what would you suggest as a feeding regime for them in a tank with shrimp.?
At first, they'll have a lot of cyclops to munch on! I feed my other tank a mixture of Hikari granules and frozen live foods - daphnia, bloodworm (etc.). I use the multipack that has 4 different types of food in it, but can't remember what the other 2 are. ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 04:57:52 PM »
I would use flake for the fish but crush it almost to powder so it's small enough for them to eat. They won't need much as they are so tiny.
My frozen multipack has daphnia, bloodworm, brine shrimp and mysis. All of these are a bit on the large side for my sundadanio, which are bigger than brigittae. If you can find it, baby brine shrimp would be suitable.

I feed my 50 litre tank with a mixture of shrimp cuisine, New Life Spectrum pellets and New Life Spectrum flakes, just a tiny amount of each crushed/ground into small particles. Of course all three animals eat some of all three foods. And for 'live' food, I feed frozen cyclops.
They also get fed mashed peas when I remember.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »
I've got cherry shrimp in my main tank and they seem to be pretty much ignored by the fish, there are loads of places for them to hide in my tank though.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
I feed my CPDs mainly on a very fine granular food, almost a powder, 0.5 mm. It sinks very slowly and so they all get plenty of time to zoom around and eat lots of tiny pieces. It's so fine that even the CPD fry can eat it, and as the CPDs bred in the tank, I guess they must be doing well on it. It would be easily small enough for Boraras. As with most of my food, it came from EBay in a bag, I don't believe in paying high prices for named brands. I do feed frozen Cyclops very occasionally and the shrimps and Salt and Pepper cories mostly get sinking granules and small pellets.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
Hi all,

Just a couple of comments from planet fishcake!!

When I first put my shrimps in their tank I had four small glow light tetras in there and they went mental trying to get at the shrimp and I think they would have stressed the shrimp trying to eat them, even if they didn't manage it. I think CPD's would be fine as they are so small they could only really fit very young shrimp in their mouths.

Regarding cyclops and other little pesties, my sshrimp tank has been full of copeoids and planaria (little white worms) for ages and they have t caused any issues that I am aware of.

Unless that is why my adults keep dying?!

Incidentslly Diz, I  have siphoned my gravel as my nirates went really high (50 when they are narmally at 15 -20) the shrimp seem quite happy and the tank looks a lot better!!!!

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!
I do have some flake already, so I'll just use that for now. For the first few days though they can clean up the cyclops.
Fishcake, I don't think the cyclops (don't know about other beasties) will be causing your adult shrimp deaths, Seb from Pro Shrimp says they're really only a danger to shrimplets and only then because they can outcompete them for food if there are too many.

I haven't syphoned the gravel at all yet and my Nitrates were still only at 5.0 when I checked the other day. Once the fish are in though I will start syphoning again because the fish poo won't be good if it builds up too much.

I don'y really think I need to have any fish in there at all, but the opportunity to have some was just too tempting! :)

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
Well, today wasn't great as far as the little rasboras were concerned. I arranged to meet the seller in Aberdeen at 4pm and at 1.30 pm she sent me an urgent email and attached photo saying that the fish bag had burst and all the poor little fish had perished  :'(

So it looks as if I won't be having any fish in my shrimpery after all :(

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
Oh nooooooooo - how very unfortunate and horrible for everyone concerned (fish and humans)! Thanks for updating us, though. Perhaps keep it as a shrimpery for now (in spite of the cyclops invasion) and pay a visit to the new store when it opens in June and see what (if anything) takes your fancy there?

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
Thanks fcmf,
I just felt so sorry for the fish!
Your suggestion to wait and look at the new store when it opens is exactly what I've decided to do. After all, the cyclops aren't doing any harm at the moment. I'll just cut down on the feeding in the meantime.
I guess the fish just weren't meant to happen. :(

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: