Author Topic: Can snails get whitespot?  (Read 9356 times) 10 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Can snails get whitespot?
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:04:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The reason I ask is this.

I've just found a MTS in my plant propagation tank with a very large white spot at the point of it's shell and two smaller spots on the main part of its shell.

I didnt touch the end of its shell because its broken, but the other spots partially came away when used my nail. I don't recall white spots on any of them when I added them to the plant tank. I also added some extra plants from there to the quarantine tank last weekend.

Any thoughts?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Can snails get whitespot?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Snails can't get whitespot. But a snail that is in a tank with fish that have whitespot can get the parasite in the water on and inside its shell and transmit it that way. A bit like how we don't get foot and mouth disease but we can transmit it via the mud on our shoes, which is why farmers have to use disinfectant foot baths before leaving and entering an infected farm.

It is much more likely that the whitespot came from the shop. If there had been just one newly formed cyst make its way into your QT it would have lain there while the bug inside multiplied, then split to release the free swimming stage which would then have attached to the fish but taken a few days to become big enough to see. And because you had the heater set at usual fish temps, it took longer for this to happen than when we add medication, and at the same time increase the temp.

And there is evidence that stressed fish get it more easily and worse than non-stressed fish. Your cardinals had just been through the stressful time of being in a shop tank - gawked at by those huge things outside the tank, chased round by a net every time someone wanted to buy some, then caught themselves and put into a strange environment.
And I do wonder if this genus is also more susceptible than others. My related green neon tetras (they and cardinals are both Paracheirodons) always got whitespot worse than any other fish.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:30:17 PM »
OK thanks Sue, I thought that might be the case but wanted to check. I wonder what the white spots were then, I spotted another mts with them just now

I've only got 1 rummynose left now, although it's looking a lot better  than it did yesterday. Poor thing must be very lonely, I know rummynose really like to be in a shoal.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:15:48 PM »
Hi Fiona

I moved my lone WCMM back into the main tank once I thought it was safe to do so as like your  rummynose he was all alone in the quarantine tank after the demise of the rest of his group.

He has now settled back into the main tank.  After a couple of false starts when he tried displaying to them he has managed to convince the glowlight danios he's one of them and has even got the hang of the nudging, nipping and jostling they do to sort out who's who in the group.

So fingers crossed your rummynose survives and gets the chance to settles in with the rest of your fish.

Anne

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »
Fiona, I don't know what your water is like, but if it's soft, the white spots on the snail shells might be lack of calcium in the water preventing the shell from developing properly.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
My water is liquid rock pretty much. There's a few of them with spots, they are soft and can be scrapped off.

The last rummynose died over night so the tank is now empty which raises another question.

I can't put the quarantine tank filter back in my main tank as its bound to contain infected water. I can drain the tank and clean that . I don't want to dump the plants I put in there. So how do I make sure the plants and filter are completely disease free?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
After you drain the tank, refill it and add ammonia. 2ppm per day should keep the filter alive. But if you keep the plants in there they will use the ammonia and the filter bacteria might not get any. Is there anywhere else you could put the plants for two or three weeks?
If you turn the temp up, this should get any whitespot parasites through the life cycle faster and without any fish to infect the free swimming ones will die off quite quickly. Alternatively, treat the QT plus filter with whitespot med exactly as you would as if there were fish in the tank.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:06:12 AM »
I could move the plants,although it would have to be a cold tank

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
I don't know enough about plants to say whether that would be OK or not  :-\

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 07:26:37 AM »
It depends what you mean by "cold", an unheated tank in a heated room would be OK, but not cold in the sense of "it's xxxxxxx cold outside today".

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »
I've got a small tank that sits on the window sill in the kitchen, I use it to store live food. I'll use that.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Can snails get whitespot?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 12:05:18 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 11:50:31 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 10:29:49 PM
by dbaggie
4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2014, 08:18:11 PM
by Diz1
181 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 12:42:29 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 01:21:53 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2017, 03:06:18 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: