Author Topic: Breeding shrimps with a ph 7.4  (Read 5308 times) 5 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Breeding shrimps with a ph 7.4
« on: February 02, 2018, 07:40:31 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all has anyone on here managed to breed shrimp with a ph 7.4. I'm looking to breed tangerine tigers and red cherry's. I  have looked on here at some topics and seen sue has had some success with red cherrys at one time but not another. My other option the tangerines are thriving in my main tank with my ph 7.4 but would they actually breed in those conditions. I have read in some places on the net that people have managed to breed tangerines but that was across the pond.

I have brought some indian almond leaves but concerned that might cause the ph to fluctuate to much and cause problems. I have also added driftwood with a plant attached along with some cholla wood and the substrate is black Dennerle Crystal Quartz Gravel

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Breeding shrimps with a ph 7.4
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:02:27 AM »
My pH is around 7.5 and I have no problems with cherries - now. Having said that, hardness is also important. But cherries - red ones - are the easiest shrimps to start with. The species does come in in other colours (orange, yellow, blue to name a few) but they are less hardy. This is simply because the wild cherry shrimp is brown. Red cherries have been developed be selectively breeding wild cherries; the other colours were 'made' by selectively breeding red cherries. Selective breeding not only produces different colours, it also selects for some genetic weaknesses.

I have also kept amano shrimps successfully - the last one to die had been in the tank over 5 years, and since they are wild caught was probably older than 5 years.

I did have problems with my very first cherry shrimps, but the babies that hatched in my tank thrived, it was the shrimps bought as adults that died. Since then I have added the odd shrimp from different shops to add genetic diversity and I think they've survived. With so many shrimps it is hard to tell if a dead one was a bought one or one that hatched in my tank. But I always buy a single female carrying eggs so that if she does't survive, at least some of her babies should.

However, over the years I have also tried tiger shrimps and crystal red shrimps without success.

These sites give the water parameters needed by various shrimp species
http://www.planetinverts.com/
http://petshrimp.com/shrimpspecies.php

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »
I've also had no problems at a similar pH. 

By the way you can keep cardinia and neocardinia shrimp of different colours as they cannot interbreed.  I have some yellow ones and some cherries and they dont interbreed.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:12:42 AM »
Thank's for the info and links sue as they are really helpful @Matt that's good they wont interbreed so i may have go at breeding both at once when the tank is cycled.

Just one other question because the shrimp don't make much waste, would that tank have to be really mature before adding them. 

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »
Maybe not mature (ie running at least 4 months with no problems) but it must be cycled because shrimps are more sensitive to ammonia and nitrite than fish are. But in a shrimp only tank, cycling with 2 or even 1 ppm ammonia rather than 3 is enough for their bioload.

However, if the tank is heavily planted cycling with ammonia shouldn't be necessary.

If you keep shrimps of different species, make sure their needs are the same. Some need soft water while others prefer hard; some need cooler water than others etc. I was also warned by Natalia that if you have a large shrimp species and a small species, the larger species could intimidate the smaller one.
And make sure that different coloured shrimps are actually different species. Matt 's yellow shrimps sound as though they are not cherry shrimps (Neocaridina heteropoda), but there are also yellow cherry shrimps.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:02:19 AM »
Thank's Sue that's interesting to know about the larger intimidating the smaller ones so i think i will stick to one kind to start with and see how i get on.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Breeding shrimps with a ph 7.4"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 09:56:50 PM
by Cinders
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 06:45:10 AM
by mizuti
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2018, 07:05:41 AM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 10:49:17 PM
by hilly
10 Replies
Last post March 19, 2020, 10:35:44 PM
by jaypeecee
8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2023, 11:05:50 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: