Author Topic: Baby Shrimp?  (Read 3111 times) 2 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Baby Shrimp?
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:20:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I think I'm a grandma!
Came back home after staying house sitting for 5 days for our daughter and decided to put a 1/4 of an algae wafer in the shrimp tank.
Within minutes I had 10 of them chomping on the wafer but while I was admiring them I saw a little movement on the glass so got out the magnifier and it certainly has a shrimp tail but is very tiny and translucent. C

I'm pretty sure I also have a berried female carrying green eggs.

I've been quite jealous of those who get shrimp and it seems within days they have babies.  Perhaps I've been staring at them too hard and putting them off!

Perhaps it's the Beta Glucans that I've put in a few times recently.

Anyway, I shall keep my beady eyes open and see of there are any more.

Is there likely to be only the one baby? It has just occurred to me that perhaps I've been too vigarous with the deep cleaning and throwing the babies away although I did have a good look in the bucket last Monday when I changed the water.

Anyway, fingers crossed

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Baby Shrimp?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:42:42 AM »
Baby shrimps are very small when they first hatch, maybe 1 or 2 mm long. Baby cherry shrimp are straw coloured not red though I do sometimes see one that is more coloured than usual. They are very difficult to see.

My water technique involves siphoning water from the tank into a light grey bucket where I can see juveniles and adults. I then use a half litre plastic jug to scoop water out of the bucket and I examine each jugful carefully for signs of 1mm long things moving on the bottom. If I see anything, or I have larger shrimp in that jugful, I then decant the water from the jug bit by bit into an empty cheesecake tub. I have a fish medicine pipette with the end cut off that I use to drop betta pellets in one by one at feeding time. If there are large shrimp in the tub, I use the pipette to remove the muck and pour the shrimp back into the tank. If there are tiny babies I use the pipette to suck them out and into another cheesecake tub with a bit of tank water in. On occasions I have found over a dozen babies this way.
Yes, it does take longer doing this than siphoning water out of both this tank and the betta's tank and refilling them both  ;D But at least I know I get almost all the babies I siphon up.

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Re: Baby Shrimp?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:51:42 AM »
Well Done Sanjo,

I promise you that you will spend most of your spare time doing a Sherlock Holmes up against the glass - I did. I now have only 3 of my original 8 left from 5 weeks ago, but about 20-30 babies from microscopic to about 5mm. It looks as though my shrimpery is mimicking Sue's with regard to bought adult shrimps.

My babies were whitish to start with, then a peach coloured front half, then full coloured.

Don't strain your eyes - they will get bigger ....... the shrimps that is .....

Skittler

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Baby Shrimp?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
33 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 08:25:53 PM
by AdyDnt
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 03:58:55 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2016, 10:29:01 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 11:35:38 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle
3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: