Baby Cherry Shrimp

Author Topic: Baby cherry shrimp  (Read 18817 times) 33 replies

Offline DutchyHolland

• Fishy Member
Re: Baby cherry shrimp
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
...I found it this morning cleaning that tank...
I wish my fish would do that!  You must pass on your training tips Sue.   ;)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »
You'll learn that the way I write isn't always the way things should be said  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
I noticed a couple of days ago that one of the females in the QT was no longer carrying eggs and she had developed a saddle (ie more eggs are growing in her ovaries). But I couldn't see any baby shrimps, though they are very difficult to see on the sand on the bottom of the tank.
I did a water change this morning and checked the old water before throwing it away - and found 7 baby shrimps, which are now back in the QT. There are probably a lot more than that, I just hoovered up 7.
I have moved the female that is now saddled but no longer berried into the 50 litre. Once the eggs carried by the second female hatch, I'll move all the older shrimp and just keep the new babies in the QT.

Anyone know how long it takes for cherry shrimp eggs to hatch? I noticed the first female carrying eggs on 5 Oct, 17 days ago. She may have had them before that and I just didn't notice. I am sure the second female didn't have eggs until 9 Oct because I was looking for them since she had a saddle when I found the first one with eggs. Will they hatch any day now or will it be a few days yet?

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
Hi Sue,
The gestation period for Cherries is about 28 days. However, it is almost impossible to get the exact day of “start” and “end” of this period with an average home aquarium shrimps – we, the humans, only notice things when we notice them!  :)
Also, water temperature, general conditions and the “mother” herself can alter the time the shrimps are developing. It is just like humans – with all premature births, etc....  ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 08:29:15 AM »
Thank you, Natalia. Female number 1 had probably been carrying eggs for several days before I noticed. It is tricky spotting individual shrimps in a tank with a lot of hiding places  ;D
I have made notes on what I noticed and when.
On 20 Sep, I noticed 2 shrimps had saddles. On 5 Oct I realised one was berried. That's when I started checking the two red shrimps every day with a magnifying glass. Number 2 did not have eggs on 8 Oct, but she did on 9 Oct. The temp is 26oC. So expect more babies around the beginning of November?

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
The second female had no eggs on Sunday (27th). That's the 9th to the 27th; 18 days. I also found a shed skin with four or five eggs inside. Presumably these are infertile eggs? I have them in a tub to make sure.

I have moved the remaining 4 adult shrimps (3 males and one newly saddled female) into the 50 litre, and have the QT with just babies. Hoovered up a load of babies again yesterday during a water change..........

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Just over a month after hatching, five of the babies were big enough to go in the 50 litre.

I always check the bucket after a water change on both the QT with the baby shrimps and also the 50 litre just in case I hoover up any baby cories. No shrimps from the QT today but there were 2 tiny baby shrimps in the water from the 50 litre. I am most surprised, I didn't think any newly hatched shrimps would stand a chance in there with pygmy cories and Microdevarios looking for a tasty snack.

Oh, and there are now six Microdevarios - I found another shop with just two left to add to my four. There are now two shops trying to get me some more as I want twelve altogether.

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 08:22:12 AM »
I have now moved all the shrimps to the 50 litre and shut down the QT. My husband is pleased with that  ;D
According to my notes, I have moved a total of 23 shrimps into the 50 litre - 11 from the female I bought; 10 that were from females born in the quarantine tank; and the two babies I found in the bucket after cleaning the 50 litre. I saw some very small shrimps in the 50 litre so thought the 2 I had put in the QT would be OK back in the 50 litre. If I try to save them all, there will be no rooom for the fish  ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 02:05:15 AM »
Ok read all this and the only thing I'm not doing is the beta glucans. I've been syphoning water from the surface, leaving the poop and only removing 1 litre a week from a 25 litre tank, there's an old piece of bogwood in there planted up with established java ferns, quite a few other plants in there, there's catappa leaves on the bottom, I've been putting pieces of trimmed plants from the 200 litre tank in every week so there's fresh bio-film and they get fed a pellet between them and the mts once a day.

Fingers crossed they hang on in there for the beta glucans

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 09:50:44 AM »
I've noticed another difference.
You mentioned feeding a pellet - what kind? When the babies were in the QT I fed them crushed Hikari Shrimp Cuisine - crushed with a pestle and mortar into powder. Since they've been in the 50 litre with fish, I feed a mixture of shrimp cuisine, sinking pellets for the cories and flakes for the mid water fish, though of course they all eat everything.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »
I just put a normal shrimp pellet in, which they started indulging in earlier this week. Prior to that they were feeding off the biofilm and algae. I've been swapping in stems of plants from the main tank that are covered in diadoms and they seem to love that.

I'm assuming thats sufficient.

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 04:48:50 PM »
Shrimps will actually eat almost anything. Once the shrimp cuisine is finished, mine will be on fish food. We just need to feed them enough if they multiply till they take over the tank. A couple of weeks ago I rescued 37 shrimps from the bucket during a water change, and that is just a small portion of what's in there.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 08:08:59 PM »
I've seen 9 babies at one time on the feeding station so I guess there's a few I'm not seeing. I reckon atm with the decomposing catappa leaves there's enough to go round and I'm quite guilty of overfeeding, so if I'm satisfied, they must be  ;D

Offline AdyDnt

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »
I'm guilty of over feeding my shrimp too

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Baby cherry shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 11:13:34 AM
by jesnon
3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 01:43:55 PM
by tropicalhabitat
12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2014, 12:29:03 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 05:31:01 PM
by Sanjo
0 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 03:58:55 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 09:34:01 PM
by Cod_only_knows
3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: