Author Topic: Amano Shrimp  (Read 7458 times) 15 replies

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Amano Shrimp
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:20:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi

I have 4 Amano Shrimp 2m and 2f (by accident not by design) and the females have just become berried again after 5 months of no eggs.  I thought this may be because they didn't reproduce in the winter but thinking about it they don't know it was winter as they live in a heated tank albeit it a 19oC temperate tank with lights on for 11 hours per day!  Do other people's Amanos produce eggs all year round or do the have a rest period?  I can understand the need for a rest period as last year they were berries nearly all the time except for a couple of days between shedding their eggs and becoming berried again.

I think they are happy in the tank as they aren't shy though they don't seem to get on all that well with each - frequently pushing each other out the way and the small males don't stand a chance.  I have also seen the larger females steal sinking pellets from the cories so either very brave or just food obsessed.

They obviously feel safe as they shed their skins wherever, the photo is from the front of the tank!  Not the shy creatures you read about - maybe mine are just exhibitionists!

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Amano Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »
I thought you said your aquarium photography skills weren't that good - what a great pic of the shrimp and the cories.

Very interesting to read of your shrimps' behaviour. Lots of "shrimp" people on here who will hopefully be able to share / answer from their experiences.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:00:39 PM »
Thanks fcmf, it was right at the front of the tank, any closer at it would have been in the living room, also was passed moving so not a blur!

Didn't even realise I had got the cories in the photo till I looked at it, you know cories - do what they like, go where they like and turn up where you least expect them.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:37:49 PM »
What's the variety of grass you have growing Anne? Is it vallis?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:31 PM »
Have they always been at 19 deg? Most sites recommend slightly higher, so if they've been in water a tad warmer before it could be they need the slightly higher temps to breed.
Other than that I don't know of any reason  ???

The amanos I had were never shy either  :)

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »
Fiona, according to the label the grass is Sagittaria subulia, the pot had several plants so I separated them before planting, it's been in the tank for 15 months now and is trimmed regularly as it can grow quite tall.  It puts out underground runners from which new plants grow, I am frequently removing them or there would be no sand for the cories to sift through. Most importantly the label said easy, which is how I choose all my plants when I set up my first and only  :'( tank January 15.

Sue, the shrimp have always been at that temperature I even bought them from the temperate tank at my LFS.  I suppose in the summer the tank gets hotter due to the room temperature but it's still pretty cold in the North East at the moment so that can't be affecting the tank.

Maybe my shrimp are just special  ???

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 08:30:26 AM »
Anne,

That's interesting about temperatures and being berried. I have recently added another 4 smaller amanos to the 6 large ones in my 125l. This was done because the larger ones seemed to find getting to the algae at the top of Vallis leaves a bit of an impossible balancing act, and the youngsters are doing a good job. The tank is at 24/25deg C.

However, none of the females have ever been berried. I am fairly sure that the original 6 are 3M & 3F. Perhaps the new additions will change things. Just like yours, the larger females steal whatever food they can get to. I have seen them plough into the feeding frenzy and take the freeze dried tubifex off the glass!

I've had the original 6 for about a year now. I occasionally feed blanched courgette as a treat, but if I overdo it, they ignore the algae! I attach it to the gravel with a stainless steel barbecue spike. This is the only time that I see them all. As you say, there is a "pecking order", with the large females leading the way......(I've just had to bite my tongue quite hard!......)

Skittler

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 08:46:54 AM »
I thought Amano shrimps only reproduced in brackish water? I think the reality is that these shrimps are just collected from the wild and labelled "Amano" whatever the species. Identifying shrimps, even European ones, requires microscopic examination and detailed knowledge. I strongly suspect that there are numerous species involved, perhaps collected in a wide variety of places, which would explain different behaviours and requirements.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 10:31:23 AM »
Skitter, who knew Amano shrimp had the perfect society structure.  ;)  I would agree with you that Female Amanos are fearless where food is concerned!

Richard, from what I have read the shrimp live in fresh water but their eggs / larvae are washed down stream towards the sea and where the larvae turn into baby shrimp and after a period of growth they swim back up stream - all sounds very exhausting to me.

As far as the shrimp themselves are concerns they look like the reference pictures but knowing how hard I found it to identifying the free loading snails that appeared in my tank (pond) there could be several similar species out there.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 11:22:31 AM »
Pictures aren't really very useful for identifying invertebrates. I make my living identifying insects, spiders and other inverts, both on land and in freshwater. There are very few species that can be identified from photos and the internet is full of incorrectly labelled photos, and those are of British species which are probably the most well-studied in the world. The tropical situation is very much worse.

Even fish aren't necessarily correctly identified. Corydoras "julii" is one of the commonest "species" offered for sale but the vast majority of those are actually C. trilineatus. I have a book "Aqualog All Corydoras" and there are numerous species there that are so far unnamed, but very similar to known species. Many of these are just given C numbers. These species are often so similar to known species that you could easily buy some which were labelled as a known species but are not in fact that species. Fish have been much better studied than shrimps or snails, but there are still many problems of identification.

Snails are particularly difficult, most of those found accidentally in aquaria could have come from anywhere in the world. There are aquatic snails now found abundantly in the wild in the UK which have been introduced from somewhere unknown and nobody has yet been able to identify them so the chances of identifying snails in a pond or aquarium from photos is zero. Incidentally, the small "pest" snails commonly found in tanks are NOT "pond snails" as commonly stated. The species usually called pond snail here is Lymnaea peregra a.k.a. the wandering snail which is much bigger, although it does have the same general shape.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
Amano and similar shrimps reproduce in our tanks, that is the females carry fertile eggs, but the larvae need brackish to full sea water strength to survive and grow. This is why we never see baby amanos in our tanks

My female shrimps were constantly berries, up until shortly before the last one died. I bought my last batch in February 2009. The last male died early last year as he couldn't cope with Sera Nematol in the water and I couldn't find him to remove him before adding it. The last female died in 2014 and she hadn't been berried for at least six months before that.

I noticed that with my amanos, males had dots down their sides and females had dashes. I'll rephrase that before anyone comments - the shrimps with dashes carried eggs and the ones with dots would swim around the tank every so often in typical male looking for a female fashion. Even if they weren't actually Caridina mulitdenta.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 03:08:16 PM »
I wasn't totally convinced by my identification of the pond snails but they don't eat plants and do eat algea so they are stayers.  They may multiply a bit but the availability of food regulates their numbers and the tank isn't covered in sesame seeds, though not as pretty as nerites.

So basically Richard, there are lots of invertabrates and fish out there that look and in some cases behave similarly that we don't always know what we are getting, interesting and confusing. ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 03:28:41 PM »
Pest snails are also called tadpole snails and bladder snails besides pond snails. From things I've read, they are usually Physids or Lymnaeids, which are very similar and often confused with each other.

The ones in my tanks have not grown bigger than 0.5cm so it is difficult to see whether they are sinistral or dextral. That is, hold the snail with the spire pointing upwards. In sinistral snails, the opening points to the left while in dextral snails it points to the right. If I could see my snails properly it would help narrow down the choice of species a bit.

The problem with using the term pest snails is that I also have Planorbids, tiny ramshorn snails which are also classed as pests.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 04:35:55 PM »
Also illustrates the problems with using English names and why we always use the scientific names.

The little ones in my tanks are all sinistral and definitely Physidae. There are only two native species of Physidae in the UK, but in ponds the ones found are aliens, generally believed to have come from North America, though they've been here for a couple of hundred years. They are all much bigger than the ones generally found in aquariums which I assume are tropical. I've found that if I have a lot of MTS in a tank, the little ones tend to disappear, maybe they can't compete.

Tomorrow I'm going out with a couple of  staff and a group of volunteers from the local Wildlife Trust to show them how to do pond surveys for invertebrates. It will be interesting to see what snails we find. I have some of the very large Great Pond Snail Lymnaea stagnalis in my cold water UK tank and I'm often tempted to try one in a tropical tank to see how they go. They are quite impressive (up to 50 mm) and very good at clearing up debris (including dead fish!).

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »
Sometimes identification can be difficult.
The pest snails/pond snails/whatever snails/etc. that I have in my tank I usually just refer to as "dwarf puffer food".
 :fishy1:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »
we don't always know what we are getting, interesting and confusing. ???

same with plants, my supposed amazonia frogbit being a case in point! If the seller doesnt know for sure what they're selling and we don't know..... I do recall seeing straight spiral vallis advertised by one ebay seller, which did make me chuckle  ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Amano Shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 09:29:09 PM
by Dominika
4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2016, 11:38:28 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 12:46:38 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2017, 07:33:15 AM
by Matt
22 Replies
Last post April 16, 2018, 10:59:47 AM
by daveyng
4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2018, 04:58:48 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: