Author Topic: Small gourami  (Read 1623 times) 4 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Small gourami
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I tend to think of the sparkling gourami as the obvious choice for a small aquarium. However, for anyone looking for an alternative, here are some suggestions:
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/search/Parosphromenus+ [some beautiful ones here]
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/search/sphaerichthys

Anyone ever kept any of these?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Small gourami
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 06:50:19 AM »
Yes! Sparkling gourami are wonderful fish with the all the behaviour character of larger gourami in a more compact size. They use their feelers less than larger species but otherwise have the same outgoing, intelligent demeanour. I found they got on well in a community tank including German blue rams. I would love to keep them again and likely will and I would encourage others not to rule out this relatively drab looking fish against more colourful terras due to their more interesting behaviour which will keep the hobbyist far more entertained. I also know people worry about their clicking ability being loud and disturbing. I only believe I heard this once or twice and it was a faint noise only, and I’m not even sure it was them - definitely not something I would’ve worrying about!  The liquorice and chocolate gourami have both appealed to me previously but I ruled them out due to their requirement for very soft water.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »
Yes! Sparkling gourami are wonderful fish with the all the behaviour character of larger gourami in a more compact size. They use their feelers less than larger species but otherwise have the same outgoing, intelligent demeanour. I found they got on well in a community tank including German blue rams. I would love to keep them again and likely will and I would encourage others not to rule out this relatively drab looking fish against more colourful terras due to their more interesting behaviour which will keep the hobbyist far more entertained. I also know people worry about their clicking ability being loud and disturbing. I only believe I heard this once or twice and it was a faint noise only, and I’m not even sure it was them - definitely not something I would’ve worrying about!  The liquorice and chocolate gourami have both appealed to me previously but I ruled them out due to their requirement for very soft water.

Is there any rule as to what size group for the sparkling gourami? Got ember tetras in tank, so think some gouramis would be a perfect fit, along with some more tetra.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 05:37:52 PM »
They're not a shoaling species like tetra, and "a pair or small group" is advised (https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/trichopsis-pumila/).  Whether or not you'd be able to identify an existing pair, or males from females, when looking at them in the LFS, I really don't know.  However, if you did end up with more than one male (which I've read can be aggressive towards one another), I think it would be much less of a problem in a tank of your size than it would be in my little 54L.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 07:22:48 PM »
Agreed, I would personally go for a group of greater than 4 or 5 individuals over say a pair, but I will reiterate that they were not as aggressive for me as others seem to have observed.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Small gourami"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 09:18:28 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 09:45:34 PM
by Peppersj
10 Replies
Last post August 29, 2014, 06:31:10 PM
by Carol
2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 05:42:14 PM
by ellen
9 Replies
Last post October 04, 2016, 06:59:52 PM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 08:48:15 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 05:07:02 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: