Changing Substrate

Author Topic: Changing substrate  (Read 13134 times) 72 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Changing substrate
« on: September 22, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Not sure if this is the right board, but..

How easy / difficult is it to change substrate? When I first set up my tank years ago, I used gravel. Pretty much ever since I got the tank properly established I've kind of wished I'd used a smaller grained substrate, maybe even sand.

Last weekend I bought my first fish for years and I've suddenly thought that if I was to change the substrate, doing it before I restock fish would be a good idea.

Have I left it too late? I now have a total of 16 fish.

There's almost zero chance that I would be able to get my kuhli loaches out of the tank, so I'd need to be able to somehow do half the tank at a time.

And yes my tank is planted.

Would it be a reasonable suggestion to lower the level of the existing gravel and add sand on top? Would the sand just end up underneath the gravel?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Changing substrate
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:17:04 AM »
Sand would just end up underneath the gravel but that doesn't mean you can't do it... Just that it's a bit harder!!  ::)

You would have to probably do a third of the tank at a time. I only say this as I would be concerned about the amount of bacteria in the gravel and water parameters changing if you did too much.  Other might be able to advise if I'm being too cautious here.  You'd have to physically remove the gravel and put sand in its place.  Sand is notorious for clouding the water. However, there are a few tricks to avoid this when adding to an existing tank.  A) as for any situation wash it, wash it, and wash it again in  bucket of running water B) put it into a plastic drinks bottle (bear with me...) and put the bottle in the tank with the opening upwards initially, wait until the air is released from the bottle, turn the bottle so the opening is down and slowly let the sand fall out or encourage it gently by squeezing the bottle. You should see cloudy water forming in the bottle as the sands falls out which you can remove along with the bottle once the sand is in the tank  :cheers:

One thing to note though is that plants don't do as well with sand as with gravel there are gaps between the pieces which means fish waste etc can fall through to get to the plant roots to feed them. This is not possible with sand so you would either want to put root tabs under your plants.  Or to put another substrate under the sand first with some nutrients.  Given what I've already said about gravel eventually rising above sand you would want a powdered plant substrate which would be very difficult in a tank that you are not setting up from scratch because it would just diasolve in the tank too quickly and they release quite a bit of ammonia when first added. So... it's either root tabs with sand or go for gravel with a minimum particle size of 1 to 2 mm.  Some so called sands meet this criteria btw so it needent necessarily put you off.  What this also means though is that fish waste tends to sit on top of sand which can be unsightly so some.  Also bear in mind that sand cannot be siphoned like gravel as it would just go up the siphon tube.  You would have more time maintaining the tank therefore. I think you can siphon waste off the surface with an airline tube... I've never gone there as I imagine my arm would drop off before I'd got the tank done!!  :yikes:

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
I have sand as substrate in my tanks, and Matt is correct when he says that the waste sits on top of the sand. I do use a syphon to remove the waste, but I take the wide part of the end of the syphon, so it's just the tube in the water. Keep the end of the tube a couple of cm above the surface of the sand, and gentle swirl the tube to disturb the water near the substrate. This will move the waste up into the water, and you can then syphon it of with the tube. It can take a while to get used to doing this without sucking up too much sand, but if you are syphoning into a bucket then you can always out the sand back into the tank afterwards.
Whenever I've changed from gravel to sand I've always emptied the tank completely and started from scratch, starting with a growing substrate with a layer of sand on top. I'm lucky to have several spare tanks to keep the fish & equipment in whilst reworking a tank, so I can't offer any advice on changing substrate with fish still in the tank.
If you do decide to change to sand make sure it is smooth enough. I have bought aquarium sand previously which ended up being completely unsuitable as when I rubbed it between my fingers it felt quite sharp. This will not be any good for fish, such as your loaches, at the bottom of the tank because it will be too rough and cause damage.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
Thanks for your comments, they've certainly got me thinking more.

I'm trying to minimise my essential maintenance, so sounds like sand isn't such a good idea.

But I think I will investigate gravel with a small particle size.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
I find sand easier than gravel. Cleaning it is so much easier as you can see where the muck is.

And a lot of plant people say plants grow better in sand with no special substrate underneath. They just need root tabs, preferably the kind that don't disintegrate (I've seen API root tabs named as the worst offender).

If you do get fish like apistos, sand is better for them, and even more so for rams. But I've never had kribs so I don't know about them. Apistos and rams feed like cories. Their natural way to feed is by taking a mouthful of sand, sifting it for bits of food then expelling the sand through their gills. They can't do this with gravel, but they still try. I had Bolivian rams on fine gravel and the female got a piece of gravel stuck in her throat. This is why I changed to sand.
And sand is the best substrate for kuhli loaches as they like to bury themselves.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
All fair comments from Sue.

You might want to consider part gravel and part sand.  This is my plan.  I have an 'island' style aquascpe and so my plan is to have larger gravel and rocks in the centre going outwards to finer gravel then sand around the perimeter.  Provided you make it look natural e.g. not one half sand one half gravel with a very straight line separating them, I've seen lots of aquascape look very effective like this.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »
I was quite inspired by @Aquarius Barbara's aquascape, which seems to be a combination of sand and gravel. It has got me thinking about how I could combine that in my tank.

I've been thinking about my general aquascaping, and how I can improve it. I was reading through my (really old) previous posts and found a conversation I had with Natalia about aquascaping. She suggested a 'path' towards the back to give the tank an impression of depth. I think that would work quite well in sand and would also be easier to get the gravel out and replace with sand.

The only downside is that the kuhlis like the plant cover and a sandy pathway would suggest that there are no / few plants in the sand!

I'll keep thinking...

Any ideas for an easy way to get the gravel out? A tea strainer? A ladel with holes would be perfect - do they exist? Ladels are usually for liquids!

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:14:56 PM »
Fish nets work to get gravel out but it doesn't do them much good. With a tank the size of yours you'd probably destroy 3 or 4 of them.
There are slotted spoons, but the 'head' is in line with the handle so they wouldn't be very good at scooping things like a ladle would.
How big is the gravel? Would it fit up a siphon tube, without the cylinder part as that usually has a narrow valve at the top where the tubing attaches. When I changed from small gravel to sand, I used the tubing to suck it out.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
I'll have to try the vacuum tube. If I'm careful, I should be able to stop it getting clogged. I might try reducing the level of the gravel first, slowly. I should be able to do that with my water changes and minimise disruption to the fish.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »
So the vacuum tube sort of worked, but it wasn't very efficient. It took me about 50l of water to suck up about 1 litre of gravel. And unfortunately the gravel that was easiest to suck up was the smallest grained stuff - which is what I'm probably going to want to keep! The gravel that I'd really like to get out kept getting stuck.

I can see a bit of DIY tool making on the horizon!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »
Thinking out loud - would garden hose be a bit wider than your siphon meaning the gravel would flow through easier?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
Probably. But would I get a better ratio of gravel: water? I nearly flooded my lounge with the vacuum tube because I was watching the stones more than the water level in my bucket!

I'd also have to buy a new hose, and I'm not sure they come as short as 1m.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:05:45 PM »
If it's any help you could always have a look in your LFS either for a larger size syphon, or even at the hose they sell for attaching to large pumps.
When I was building the manifold for my river tank I bought hose by the meter from MA to attach it to the pump. They had several sizes available, so you should be able to find something useful.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »
Thanks @Littlefish. My lfs is actually a Maidenhead aquatics, so I'll have a look online.

Trips there are quite stressful (for me) these days. It tends to involve a disproportionate amount of "don't bang the glass", "stand back", "hold my hand", "cuddle bear", "put that back where you found it please", "wow, look how big that fish is", "look, that's the same fish Mummy has at home". Not a lot of looking at fish or actually shopping! I go in with a list of potential 'targets' (that I've researched online), find the one that's got the highest priority, pay and leave. In fact, that's why I do as much of my shopping online as possible - for my whole life!! 😮

Sorry, strayed off topic there...

It is great for making me resurrect my tank slowly, though. It'll be at least a month before I buy any more fish. Pretty much everything else can be bought from my sofa!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I've had a quick look on their site and can't find the hose, but both my MA stores, and the independent LFS have a selection of sizes on large rolls, so I know that they stock it.

As for kids in the store, I know that most parents try very hard to keep their children behaving impeccably at the shops, because they care about the welfare of the fish, etc. However, don't let it ruin a visit to the shop for you.

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was at one of the quieter branches of MA, where I've got to know the staff quite well. During the school summer holidays I was chatting to one member of staff at the till, while the area manager was working in the office, and another member of staff was just heading to the office for a break. A fairly regular customer came in with his 4 kids (3 girls and 1 boy, all under 10), and the chap I was talking to went to the fish tanks with him. Within a matter of seconds it was like someone had released the demons of chaos, who scattered to the 4 winds to destroy the universe.
The dad continued his discussion with said member of staff as if nothing was happening. The kids ran riot around the store, picking up items, depositing them elsewhere, running up to the guys and asking questions, then dragging the member of staff around the store by the hand asking "what's this for?". They also asked him his name, then chanted it at the tops of their voices whilst running around. I was leaning against the counter and even I didn't get away without being asked several questions about items that the kids brought to me.
At one point I turned around to see that the boy had got a large net on a pole off the display, and had climbed on top of the pond fish enclosures, and was trying to net fish. I will admit that my response was to get my phone out because if this kid fell in the pictures were going to be hilarious, at which point he climbed down, put the net back and ran off to do something else.
After the longest 10-15 minutes in the life of the poor member of staff, the family left the shop.
The manager and other guy emerged from the office, and were asked why they didn't come out to help. They said that they thought he was doing fine, and it turns out that they were watching the whole thing in the office on the security cameras, and having quite a chuckle about it.

The lesson here is that even if your children cause a bit of mess there is a strong possibility that the staff are either just taking it in their stride as part of working at an aquatics store, or they have all gone to the office to have a good laugh as one member of staff tries to deal with the entire situation on their own. Either way, try not to let it interfere with your shopping, the staff are used to it.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »
Good grief, Littlefish - the incident you describe sounds horrendous; on so many levels, I'm glad I wasn't present and subject to that! When the behaviour could compromise the safety of other customers as well as the welfare of the fish, it's a step too far. :isay:

Anyway, on the subject of siphons, I've bought my fair share of them and many remain in the cupboard - I'll try to find the name of the one which I think would be best in this situation. I have used (and broken, like Sue says) nets in the past when removing gravel but reckon scooping out gravel in a small plastic container might be easiest, then sifting through it as required. Is your eldest child old enough to be involved in a "game" of sorting out gravel pieces into different sizes, @Helen?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 06:39:29 PM »
I was going to say that I'm not too worried about sorting gravel as it's fairly easy to get graded garden sieves.

Then it occurred to me that I might be able to get cheap metal kitchen sieve and use that as a scoop? Maybe a tea strainer?

I'm not sure my 4yo would be a reliable stone sorter. She also has an affinity for stones. I could easily find the large stones removed from the fish tank but distributed around my house!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 06:54:36 PM »
@fcmf  luckily there were no other customers in the store (apart from me), and the children didn't bang on any tanks.
The pond fish enclosure the boy climbed onto contained only 2 fish, and he didn't get as far as getting the net into the water. If he had I would have said something, or the other staff would have come out of the office. Although I will admit to thinking it would be funny if he fell in and had to go home in wet clothes, they were my 2 favourite pond fish that I feed when I visit, so I'm kind of glad that he didn't (but wish that there had been an enclosure next to it that contained no fish that he could have fallen into instead)
The kids were mainly just quite loud, ran around a lot, and moved some stuff around. Generally not the sort of thing you'd expect to see, but luckily there was no harm done, apart from to the stress levels of one member of staff.

@Helen I have used metal sieves and colanders for sorting various sizes of substrate previously. You'd be amazed at what you can find in the kitchen that is useful.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
I started removing the gravel with my siphon hose. Once I'd got the hang of it, especially avoiding larger stones that block the tube, it has turned out to be quite an efficient way of removing the gravel. I didn't need to get a short length of garden hose!

I got to the point where I was struggling to get more gravel out without catching plant leaves in the tube, so decided to remove plants, gravel and replant a third of the tank at a time.

So I've uprooted all my Vallis from my tank.  I decided the end result would look better if I trimmed off the runners, and replant the individual plants. I must have about 100 plants!  :o Think it'll take me longer to replant than I'd initially thought.

As well as the number of individual plants, that end of my tank looks extremely bare. It made me realise just how well planted my tank is.

Attached is a photo so far. I'll remove the gravel and replant after the kids have gone to bed tonight. Could be a late night!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 07:10:24 AM »
Hope you didn't have too late a night... that sounds sound like quite a task!

I would recommend keeping the substrate layer a bit thinner if you have the opportunity whilst your working on this.  Deeper substrate adds risk of anaerobic bacteria forming noxious gas pockets in decaying waste trapped in the gravel. These can also affect water quality too of course. Overall it should make for a tank which requires less maintenance in future and hopefully healthier fish too  :cheers:

Personally id say no need for substrate to be more than 2cm /1 inch deep.

Oh and of course... MORE PHOTOS PLEASE!!  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Changing substrate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
by SteveS
4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
by Fishx4
18 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 09:29:13 AM
by Diz1
22 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:56:22 AM
by Sue
25 Replies
Last post January 01, 2017, 12:44:38 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 07:12:50 PM
by suzie61

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: