You Tube Uarujoey

Author Topic: You Tube Uarujoey  (Read 4893 times) 8 replies

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
You Tube Uarujoey
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've been watching a lot of you Tube clips recently as I'm seriously thinking about starting my 4 foot tank from scratch and setting it up as a Discus tank.

While stuck in the You Tube black hole, I found some videos by Uarujoey. He has got loads of DIY clips about setting up tanks, building tanks, home made filters and loads more.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
Re: You Tube Uarujoey
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
If you are thinking about setting up a discus tank have a look at the rare aquatics web site. They import wild discus if thats a way your thinking of going. .

I have just got six wild discus and went with a planted set up. look forward to seeing what you choose and the set up you go with.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:29:40 PM »
Cheers Don, nice to hear from you again.

I will probably go with captive bred. There is a website "chens discus" which has them (although very small) for a lot less money than I've ever seen discus going for. As little as £12 for red or blue turqs or blue diamonds.

I have been advised that I could get 10 young in my tank, although I would need to thin out to 6 as they get older. I'll probably just get 6 young and see how they go. It wouldn't be too expensive a disaster if I don't get on with them then.

I'll also probably go with a bare tank for starters. Paint the back, bottom and sides black or blue as my tank is in a bit of an alcove.

Lots to do before that though. I'm going to take the opportunity to start everything from scratch. Bleach everything and start a new cycle (so as to not introduce anything from my old fish). Also sort out some plumbing to make water changes easier, as that is going to be my life from now on.

Probably wont get far until after Christmas, at least no new fish anyway. I will keep you posted and may even run a diary in the photo section.

Stuart.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:26:13 AM »
Wow that is good prices, i paid a fair bit more than that.

Yei had a look on there very nice site and some stunning fish, my problem is the tank breds just dont do it for me. 10 would look stunning problem is how do you choose which to rehome when they all become stunning. I agree i think 6 is a good number, funnily enough the number i have, im gona watch mine grow and see what happens i have enough space for my six unless they pair. Im sure you will there definetly not as hard to keep as people say or do. Although apparently wilds are hardier than tank breds.
 A lot of people go over the top with them i heard of one guy doing a 90%water change every 3 days! I still firmly believe that its better to keep water chemistry stable than doing massive fresh water changes, im doing 20% every week and they seen to be doing fine and my nitrates are about 15.

Very interested to see a bare tank set up saw a couple on you tube and a couple with just a bit of wood. Looking forward to seeing it come together sounds realy interesting. Sounds like a lot of work although i do like the look of painted tanks am keen to see how that comes out. Are you going down the ro water route?

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:11:31 AM »
I wasn't planning on using ro. My plan was to use my 36 litre water container, left by the side or back of my tank.

I am hoping I can find and use some sort of t joint on my filter in pipe. The idea is to just turn a flow valve so that the filter will start taking water from the container. Then, when the container is empty and the tank is full, turn it back so it starts taking the water from the tank again. Any ideas if this is possible?

Do you heat and age your water before putting it in your tank. This is advised on The BIDKA forum. Mind you, so is 33% water changes every other day! It does make you wonder how enough ammonia is constantly left in the tank to keep the cycle running.

Stuart.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:36:56 AM »
I've read about discus keepers changing 50% a day when they want their fish to breed. The reason that such large water changes don't alter the water chemistry is that the water doesn't chance to change much from tapwater composition before the next water change.

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:15:17 PM »
Sounds like it should work fine as long as you get the right taps and connectors, would make it a lot easier to do as the pump would do all the work. No i dont age my water i use my taps to get it to the right temperature about 28 degrees then add it straight in. Im not sure what aging is supposed to do other than remove chlorine but a good water conditioner should do that. Some people say it can soften the water but i dont now how long you would have to leave it.

I read that too sue. It also seems that big water changes can be used to enduce larger/quicker growth and to clean the water after feeding beef heart which apparently quickly dirties and fouls the water. I didnt want to do this as i dont feed any of my other fish beef heart and i didnt want to quickly grow or get massive fish therefore i dont see the need in massive water changes.
As long as my water is stable there is no ammonia or nitrite present and i change enough water soon enough the nitrates dont rise i dont see the need for massive changes id rather leave my tank in peace.

My discus seem very happy at the mo along with everything else, they have just scoffed a load of tetra prima and are currently cruising for bits they missed.

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
I wonder if that is why so many experienced Discus keepers swear by changing big amounts and often, other than the growth aspect. Once you start you can't really stop. Otherwise it would be like doing a fish in cycle every time you forget a water change. The Ammonia and Nitrite bacteria must surely start to die off with such large water changes so often as they have nothing to feed on.

I was talking to my lfs today (while dropping off more Krib fry (it seems myself and 2 other Krib owners have {flooded} the local market)). She raised a good point when i told her I could buy red/blue turqs for £10-£15 instead of her £25.

She asked how they had been kept and how the generations before them had been kept. Pointing out that if the breeder had been anal about water changes, the fry I brought would probably have the need to be given the same treatment or risk illness/death. It was an angle I hadn't thought of before and one that made me wonder. Is that how the "myth" of the need for large water changes is propagated?

If a breeder believes in large and often water changes, you buy his fish but don't carry it on which leads to illness/death, aren't you more likely to do the large and often next time even when a breeder who doesn't believe in them tells you that is isn't needed?

I know a lot of owners say large and often changes for keeping RO for breeding. I'm now thinking about leaving an inch of thin sand at the bottom, that way I can keep my Horse Faced Loach (which I think is cool).

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
Thats an interesting point and i think your on to something too. A lot i read when researching said that of you get from a specific breeder you have to match here water as closely as you can. This coupled with the regim they stuck could explain a lot. It is one of the reasons i went with wild discus, i keep my water as close to where they came from which is luckily my tap water and they went straight into my planted set up and seem to be doing okay and all i have to do is keep the water good.

Haha gota love kribs almost picked up a pair of nigerian reds but i have bo space left in any of my tanks.

I think your right too stuart and in the past discus have been given the reputation of very difficult to keep especialy when they were first being introduced to aquariums. It might be that to keep th alive back thwn this husbandry was required and it stuck and as it works for growth it continues to be used

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "You Tube Uarujoey"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
by SteveS
1 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 09:11:42 AM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 10:06:16 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post April 14, 2014, 04:20:35 PM
by SteveS
7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2015, 11:57:14 AM
by Richard W

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: