Why We Should Use A Quarantine Tank

Author Topic: Why we should use a quarantine tank  (Read 3155 times) 4 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Why we should use a quarantine tank
« on: June 11, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a quarantine tank. I should use it. Why didn't I?

I bought a pair of Nannacara a few months ago but after the male relentlessly attacked the female every time her saw her, I came to the conclusion she was a he. The big male finally killed the other fish. Last week, I bought another female. I have just done a water change and noticed some of my fish have whitespot. A couple of emperor tetras have one spot each. The original nannacara has one spot on each side and one on his head. Two of the green neons have several spots (they always get it badly). No sign on the other fish yet, including the new nannacara. Of course I have no whitespot med left so I'll have to get some tomorrow, then try to find all the nerites I only recently returned there after treating for camallanus worms.

I am now panicking because I got 4 habrosus cories from the same shop and they are in the tank with the cherry shrimps. I can't see anything on the fish in there. Yet. The cories were in a completely separate rank so fingers crossed. I can't medicate with shrimps in the tank so if they do come down with it I'll have to move the fish to the big tank for a month or two till the whitespot bugs die out from lack of a host.

The moral of the story is - if you have a quarantine tank, use it!!!

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Why we should use a quarantine tank
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »
Sorry to hear your about your white spot out break.

I don't have a quarantine tank but have been looking into getting one.

I was just wondering what would you consider to be a suitable size? I don't want it too big as most of the time it would be stored away but not too small that the fish can't move and looking after the water becomes a problem.

Also what do you do with fish that need to go into a mature tank? Do you put them in the quarantine tank or straight into your mature tank?

Anne

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:01:42 PM »
My QT is 25 litres, which is fine for the size fish I have. Anything bigger than a couple of inches would obviously need a bigger tank.

Fish that need a mature tank are a problem. I get round it by using mature media from another tank and taking decor from a mature tank as well. For fish that don't need a mature tank I still steal media but use plastic plants and sections of drainpipe as caves which live in a box when not in use.
It is possible to use a plastic storage box as a temporary tank but the downside to using one as a QT is that you can't see the fish from the side to see if they have come down with something.

And as this whitespot appeared 8 days after buying the fish, quarantine should last at least 2 weeks.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
Interesting and useful. I - obviously incorrectly - had assumed that whitespot appeared as multiple white spots. If it appears as a single spot, might it remain at that, or, if it were whitespot, would this turn swiftly into multiple spots?

Perhaps, thanks to reading this, I'll keep my QT (with the new fish) in it for longer than planned, just in case my pygmy cory (in the main tank) with the appearing(for one day)-disappearing(for a week)-appearing(for a day)-disappearing white spot actually transpires to have this condition...

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »
One of the green neons has half a dozen spots, another has three or four and the male nannacara has three. It is possible that only a few of the parasite made it to the tank; once these spots fall off and multiply I could be in for a massive infestation.

I have just got back from the shop, the nearest Maidenhead Aquatics and the smallest one near me. I normally use King British original formula WS3, but that was only because it didn't kill the amano shrimps in the big tank. Since I no longer have amanos it doesn't matter what I use. MA had a full range of Interpet and Waterlife meds and eSHa 2000 but not Exit. So I got Waterlife's Protozin.

Now to find the nerites.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Why we should use a quarantine tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2014, 04:02:54 PM
by Diz1
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 04:02:08 PM
by Sanjo
6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
by fcmf
21 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 05:49:38 PM
by Matt
32 Replies
Last post January 18, 2020, 09:05:54 AM
by Lynne W
7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 09:08:24 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 04, 2020, 04:14:33 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: