What Is In Your Fishtank Cupboard?

Author Topic: What is in your fishtank cupboard?  (Read 5030 times) 29 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
What is in your fishtank cupboard?
« on: June 26, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Setting my hospital tank had me rummaging in the cupboard uder my fishtank and I realised how much rubbish I have in it.

I wondered if other fishkeepers are like me, or tidy.

A selection of things in my cupboard include a largish sieve, a plastic plant, lava rocks, co2 cannisters and injection system, a couple syphons, 2 bags of gravel, a bottle of sand, two buckets, a box of filter media, several test kits, a box of Practical Fishkeeping magazines, coconut shells, a roll of silver sticky back plastic, labels for pretty much every plant I've ever bought. Plus an assortment of foods, fertilisers etc.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: What is in your fishtank cupboard?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »
I hear you, given I've only been doing this since January, my cupboard under the tanks is bulging at the seems, so much so most of it gets left out on a coffee table, giving the living room the continual I'm doing something with my fish tank look. Even have some stuff building up at the side of the tank in the water changing bucket!

I've got 4 syphons, yeah 4 who knew they were so fickle!! testing kits, plant tools, filter stuff, like you all the plant lables, 4 different glass cleaning tools again who knew!! automatic feeders, got two of those!! My sand and soil are in the garage as I overdosed on that at set up!

I'm also slightly embarrassed to say I've got the two lid sections that came with the tank under there too, as I bought two new sections just so I could have the pre made holes for the fish feeders  :vcross:

What it is they say about fools and their money, maybe we should change it to fish keepers and their money :rotfl:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
My cupboard is in two halves. On one side I have 3 stacking baskets containing all sorts of bits and pieces, and  fish food, dechlorinator and meds. The other side has a shelf, and on the bottom are spare filters, heaters, a bag of carbon etc and the top shelf has my box of family history odds and ends and my Kindle charger. In the glass shed greenhouse I have 2 sets of buckets and siphons, one for the main tank the other for the betta's tank; two large plastic boxes containing old bits of decor; a handleless bucket containing the gravel that used to be on the bottom of the old Rio 125, and 2 spare 25 litre tanks. And under the worktop in the kitchen are my water change refilling bucket and jug.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
Surprised myself writing this how much stuff I have though I still feel this is relatively restrained!

I have 1 siphon and 1 'filling hose' which attaches to the kitchen tap, a bucket of hardscaping materials (rocks and wood I don't like any more), a water change bucket, spare heater, spare filter, plant labels, dechlorinator, test kit, fish food, magnetic glass cleaner (no one's mentioned them yet!) plant ferts, absorbent towels, auto feeders.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
Um, I don't really know where to start.  :-[
Fish stuff has pretty much taken over the ground floor of the house. Luckily the house layout kind of lends itself to this sort of chaos, with everything on the ground floor (including what I call the "fish bathroom", unless I have guests staying), with just my bedroom and en-suite upstairs. Things are in a bit of a mess at the moment as I have had guests, who went home yesterday, and I'm in the process of going through loads of old stuff to see what I can get rid of.
So, going room by room, the chaos is as follows:-
living/dining room - 12 fish tanks (including 2 temporary/quarantine tanks on the dining table, and a breeding tank for pest snails on the windowsill). The only cabinet that has any room for storage is the dwarf puffer tank, where I store medication, water test kits, and several racks of test tubes.
Kitchen - 5 x 10 litre clean water containers on top of fridge, plus a few smaller water containers. One small wall cupboard by the sink containing water treatment, plant ferts, liquid carbon, and fish food. Small floor cupboard by sink contains random plastic jugs, tupperware, colander & sieve.
Spare bedroom - 2 empty fish tanks
Hallway/space under stairs - A tank. Way too many stack boxes containing previously used sand, pebbles, rocks, decor, a larger (>50L) stack box currently used for soaking wood. Large stack box for old filters, lights, heaters, etc. which I am slowly working through to see what still works. 5 x 10L containers for waste water, many buckets, and a large stack box containing maintenance items such as syphons, glass cleaning tools, aquascaping tools, tubing, etc. Then another container for towels, and the long tube I use for attaching to the FX filters to water the garden when doing water changes on the large tanks.

*coughs* I think that covers everything.  :-[

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »
Yep, I too am in the @Littlefish school of storage...  Stuff in the garage, the dining room is chocabloc with fishy equipment & utensils, every spare draw in the hallway and living room has fishy stuff in there and there are bottles of stuff even in the kitchen...  The actual fish tank cupboard is quite conservative really, just foods and test kits essentially - it's the rest of the house...   :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
Thanks @TopCookie I feel much better now I know I'm not the only one who lives like this.  ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »
I, and I bet everybody else too, forgot to mention that even the freezer has fish food in there, lol...   :rotfl: 

@Matt I do have a JBL "Floaty", but it's a bit redundant now as the clean up crew, particularly the eight Oto Cats (aka "Micro-Cats"), are doing a great job of the tank glass...  ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
What it is they say about fools and their money, maybe we should change it to fish keepers and their money :rotfl:

lolol...  this is true too...  Blimey, it's so easy to start looking at the multitude of fish websites, eBay & Amazon etc, when a bit bored, and just buy stuff...  My big "guilty pleasure" purchase is a battery operated gravel vac by Fluval...  Tons of other stuff too, including water treatments, medications, fertilisers etc...  Huge amounts of which is largely unused...!!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »
I, and I bet everybody else too, forgot to mention that even the freezer has fish food in there, lol...   :rotfl: 

I forgot there as well  ;D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 12:46:16 PM »
This has turned into a really funny thread. I also might show Mr Helen if he complains about all the fish stuff I have.

I also didn't mention fish food in the freezer, nor the hospital tank, dechlorinator and many test tubes by the sink in the utility room.  :o

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 01:34:03 PM »
Fishkeeping reading material in the bookshelf nearest the tank.

Buckets and QT (and spare tank) in cupboards elsewhere.

Down side of fishtank cupboard: Rolls of currently-decommissioned backing paper. 2 heavy-duty condensation trays for resting fish-feeder on – still miss my Clearseal with its Majestic/Monarch hood and in-built condensation tray (@LynneW, what make of filter hood is yours? I can understand why you’ve bought spares if as good as these.)

In fishtank cupboard – double-sided:
Shelf 1: Cleany for siphons (sure-fire way of guaranteeing blisters on fingers from friction of pushing it into siphons); 3 siphons and add-on pieces for one of them.
Shelf 2: Towel with tray on top to set aquascaping instruments, nets, etc, in; currently containing two siphons, a pair of plant tweezers, 2 algae scrubbers on long-armed handle (one brush scraper, one plastic scraper), packet of disposable shoulder-length gloves.
Shelf 3: Spare filter, 3 filters’ packaging (one now being discarded as filter has already been discarded), spare filter sponges, spare filter wool, spare heater.
Shelf 4: Testing kits; current supplies of food; numerous items of junk (eg miniature plastic spoons for ice-cream, now used to serve fish food, lids of discarded test tubes, plastic measuring lids of old medication and dechlorinator bottles); small plastic container for replenishing water; 2 plastic jugs, one less rounded to make it easier to catch fish; sponge for cleaning glass, 3 algae-scrapers/magnets.
Shelf 5: auto-feeder; extra supplies of fish food and plant food; meds; plant items [eg pegs, lead weights, wrap-around foam, 50-ish terracotta rings, 50-ish labels from unintentionally killed plants, 10-ish plastic plant pots (as remainder were discarded a while back); silk plants, stones and other currently-decommissioned decor; spare limestone rock pieces; spare fish-feeding rings, ordinarily used for containing floating plants before they’re unintentionally killed.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »

I forgot there as well  ;D

And the live food (bloodworms, plus earthworms for the axolotls) in the salad drawer of the fridge.  ::)

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 04:41:27 PM »
In the cupboard under the tank I have the 2 canister filters, CO2 tank (5 Kg fire extinguisher), Fish Flake, Fish Wafers, Assorted Fertilisers and Seneye Refills.
I also have assorted equipment in the shed and the loft and of course food in the fridge.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 11:45:28 AM »
Evolution aqua complete plant food.liquid carbon.api test kit. Dennerle dried almond leaves.fish food.hatchery nets.micromesh net.fluval mini filter.sponge filter.juwel bio sponges. Aquascaping tools. Battery operated aeriator pump.esha 2000.esha ndx. Sterazin. Clove oil.microfibre cloths.long handled glass cleaner.aquarium salt. Pair black stockings to cover fluval mini filter holes.elastic bands. Elbow length rubber gloves. Small glass fish bowl.plastic mesh filter guards. Spare heater.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 06:36:55 PM »
Evolution aqua complete plant food.liquid carbon.api test kit. Dennerle dried almond leaves.fish food.hatchery nets.micromesh net.fluval mini filter.sponge filter.juwel bio sponges. Aquascaping tools. Battery operated aeriator pump.esha 2000.esha ndx. Sterazin. Clove oil.microfibre cloths.long handled glass cleaner.aquarium salt. Pair black stockings to cover fluval mini filter holes.elastic bands. Elbow length rubber gloves. Small glass fish bowl.plastic mesh filter guards. Spare heater.

WOW  :yikes:

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 09:07:34 PM »
WOW x2 fish keeping in stockings. I'm not going to try it but I can see it working for some :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2018, 09:14:24 PM »

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2018, 09:43:22 PM »
I'll have to go through my cupboard/greenhouse/freezer and list everything. It'll fill an entire page as I never throw anything away unless it is completely broken!
But I don't have any stockings I'm afraid, I only have knee high socks  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 04:40:05 AM »
WOW x2 fish keeping in stockings. I'm not going to try it but I can see it working for some :)

Especially with the elbow length rubber gloves.  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What is in your fishtank cupboard?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post December 11, 2014, 09:14:05 PM
by bferg4
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2015, 11:58:19 AM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2017, 09:25:56 PM
by MarquisMirage
29 Replies
Last post February 16, 2017, 02:17:15 PM
by Gazzariff
5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 08:47:56 PM
by Rustle
19 Replies
Last post April 08, 2018, 11:51:32 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post December 12, 2023, 09:12:33 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: