Author Topic: Volcano Scape in 60 l  (Read 1960 times) 1 replies

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Volcano Scape in 60 l
« on: March 09, 2017, 10:28:30 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've been a bit lax in posting details of this one.  It's the volcano scape mentioned in a previous thread in a Fluval Uno 600 aquarium.  Pics are not of the best quality, sorry.

The bare tank (pic 1.) was cleaned up using a steam cleaner and a good amount of elbow grease.  It was then placed on a shelf on the landing at the top of the stairs.

Pic 2. shows the original setup and hardscape featuring corner sponge filters on either end (you can see one floating to the right hand side).  It has a volcano feature with red LED light and air stone bubbles.  The idea was to create a bubbling effect throughout the tank.  However, this proved quite loud and being close to the bedrooms my wife vetoed the loud bubbles.  The substrate is black and red gravel of 3 mm thickness.  I was originally thinking of going with fiery red rock but decided to go with lava rock instead.  I managed to get a good mix of black and brown rocks.  Finally I used an interesting shaped bit of wood my wife had purchased but misjudged the scale on (she thought it would be bigger).

In pic 3. you can see that I jiggled the aquascape around a bit to try and make it a bit more pleasing on the eyes.  The sponge filters are replaced by a Eheim Pick Up 45 filter.  It seems fine but I'm a bit worried that the sponge in it seems rather small.  The flow on it is rather impressive though.  The plants are bacopa monnieri.  I was planning on ordering the 'compact' variety of this plant but I'm not sure what I got.

I've started cycling already but I've got some white fungal growth on the substrate.  Not sure what to do about that so advice please!  It's kind of a milky fungus.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Volcano Scape in 60 l
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:05:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I like the jiggled layout and planting. Well done.
As for the stuff on the substrate, it may be a sort of bacterial bloom from where the substrate has been disturbed during the planting process. You can probably syphon some of it off, and it should clear up as the tank settles.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: