Unknown Baby Fish In Shrimpery

Author Topic: Unknown baby fish in shrimpery  (Read 4600 times) 15 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Unknown baby fish in shrimpery
« on: June 08, 2015, 07:27:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I was just having a look at the shrimp feeding when I spotted an absolutely teeny fishlet swimming under one of the leds. Its about 3mm long and atm is basically a set of eyeballs and a tail or could it be a shrimp? My son reckons he spotted another one in there too.

I spotted something like this once before in my 200l but I think it must have been eaten by the other fish.

After the shrimpery finished cycling I did add some more plants from the main tank. I'm quite excited, I do hope it survives. I have no idea how to feed it even.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Unknown baby fish in shrimpery
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:35:10 PM »
What do you have in the tank the plants came from? It is quite possible there were eggs on the plants - it's not just snails that come this way  :)

Egg laying fry are very tiny when they hatch. They usually need to be fed on infusoria at first, then moving on to baby brine shrimp, microworms etc. If you have a lot of plants, and leaves on the tank floor for the shrimps, fry should be able to find enough to eat with the micro-organisms on those. You can always supplement with liquify for egg layers. If you use this, don't just put the drops in as they fall to the bottom as a clump. Mix the drops in a bit of tank water first.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »
There's definitely 2 and I suppose there could be more.  :)  They could be purple harlequins or celebes rainbows. The tank is quite densely planted (I do love my greenery) and I've got several mops of java moss on the floor that came from the big tank, I'm guessing that's where the eggs were. There's a pile of decomposing leaves under a bit of broken terracotta pot. I can actually see that one has a full tummy :) I'll try and get some liquify from my local pet shop. I think I should turn the air filter down a bit too, its running on max.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 03:36:28 PM »
Gawd I'd forgotten how much tanins almond leaves released. I put 2 in there. MAJOR mistake, I've had to fish one out and do a small water change. The shrimps and the babies don't seem to mind thankfully.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:55:58 PM »
I just thought I'd update you on the baby fish front. I knew it could only be fry fro 2 species so I looked up their breeding habits and then watched my tank for a bit. The celebes pay a spectacular amount of attention to the clumps of java moss at the front of the tank, I spotted the male doing the head down pointing at where he wanted the females to spawn and him circling them and following them round the moss. So I decided to swap the clumps of moss from the shrimpery with the moss in the main tank.

Well this morning I got up and guess what I found?  ;D Yup 3 more tiny baby fish. Apparently the eggs take approximately a week to hatch so next Friday I'm going to swap the moss around again and see what happens. Ohh happy days, I'm a grandma hehehehe :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
The 2 fry from the first hatching are about the size of newborn baby guppies now and one from the second batch, although a lot smaller has started swimming with them. I'm a little surprised that they aren't hiding among the plants, they seem quite happy swimming away in open water. I guess at some point I'll have to start actively feeding them but for now they seem ok just feeding on micro-organisms living in the tank.

Sorry to bore you guys with constant updates but I'm a very proud grandma.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »
I'm genuinely interested. :wave:

Thanks for keeping us posted.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:47:05 PM »
Hello All,

Well done Fiona, I'm green with envy!

Some of us, like me, try really hard to encourage our fish to breed, and fail miserably! Others look after everything carefully, and Hey Presto! It happens. Mind you, I seem to remember you can overdo the loving, careful, attention thing ............. Hey Presto? .......  that's how I eventually ended up having an urgent meeting with the local parish priest,  and not living on my own!!

Skittler

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 10:10:24 PM »
Well done Fiona, paying all that attention has definitely paid off.

My situation with fry is a little different I have Platies, need I say more.  I read somewhere "how did you get baby Platies? The answer, just add water", which I now realise is very apt.  When the first fry appeared I was pleased but surprised how many survived and 4 batches later in 4 months the pleasure in wearing a little thin.  I have babies ranging from 4mm to 1.5 cm, in assorted colours though not quite sure how many as there are plenty of hiding spaces.

Luckily my friend is going to set up his fish house in a few weeks and plans to stock live bearers, guess what he is getting for a fish house warming present!

So you can see why I am impressed with anyone who has proactively managed to breed fish, all I did was buy one male and two females Platies.

Anne

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks :) It was just blind luck at first  :)

Just dont talk to me about endler fry.... when I think how carefully I fished out the first lot ever born here I could die laughing. Somehow my oldest female endler hasn't been near a male for months but is still churning out babies every 3 weeks or so. You can imagine how my jaw dropped the first time I witnessed this virginal birth. One night I said to my son "if I didn't know she's been nowhere near a male for at least 6 weeks, I'd swear she was pregnant!" Next morning  :yikes: :o ??? :-\ babies everywhere!!! She did the same yesterday and my endler tank seems to have a permanent fry net now!! I can sex a baby endler from 50 paces now and long before the males colour up. I found an article online that said female guppies can store sperm for a year.. I so wish I knew before hand

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
It is the same with the Platies they can store sperm and use it for up to 5 pregnancies!

I understand why people just buy males as you could buy all female fish and still end up with babies galore for several months if they mated in the LFS tank before you bought them.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
thankee for the heads up Anne I'll remember that if ever we get platies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 02:03:08 PM »
It's not just endlers and platies - guppies, swordtails and mollies (that is, the other common livebearers) store sperm too.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »
Just before I turned the lights out tonight I had a quick peek and guess what? 3 more babies!!! I'm so glad I didn't swap the java moss on Friday!  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 03:33:25 PM »
Today's head count came to 10  :o  I'm starting to get a little sweaty about stocking levels now. I'd better try and off load some endlers to MA I guess and I wont be swapping anymore moss from the main tank to the shrimpery thats for sure.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 07:14:36 PM »
A quick update..some of the first batch have started to develop their adult finage (is that even a word?) the rest still look like commas with eyeballs  :) I'll try and get a photo soon.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Unknown baby fish in shrimpery"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:28:33 PM
by D1976p
4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:13:49 PM
by Jwc
6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 11:59:11 AM
by Skittler
3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2016, 04:14:30 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 12:47:13 PM
by apache6467
5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2022, 05:37:10 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 03, 2022, 10:52:07 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: