Author Topic: IT'S DONE YAY  (Read 14476 times) 105 replies

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
IT'S DONE YAY
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:30:05 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 Tomorrow I will be setting up my first tank for  :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: will be going out midday to get some plants so any suggestions would be welcome Alan is going to take time-lapse photos of how it goes, so you can all be totally shocked at what I do wrong, I know I will do something wrong  ::) ::)   I have everything I need except a syphon but that should be here I next couple of days so will manage until then with a jug.  I am so nervous I probably won't sleep tonight worrying and working out what to do.

Wish Me Luck Please.  ::) ::) :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: TOMORROW IS THE DAY YYYAAAYYY
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
Hooray, and good luck.  :cheers:

I'm sure everything will be fine, and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »
Good luck  :)

I would suggest plants but I only have the kind that attach to decor.

You won't need a siphon tube until you need to change some water.

Quick check list. Have you got:
dechlorinator
ammonia (and syringe to measure it with)
test kit

And bicarbonate of soda. I haven't mentioned that yet but it is because of your soft water. You may well have some in the kitchen. You'll need about two rounded 5 ml spoonfuls for 55 litres. Once the cycle is finished, you have to do a big (90% plus) water change which will remove all the bicarb.

Timetable:
Put sand in tank.
Put a few inches of water in tank and then plant the plants.
Add dechlorinator, enough to treat the final volume.
Mix some bicarb in a bit of water and add that to the tank.
Add the rest of the water. If you have a combi boiler, use hot and cold water to get the right temp. If you have a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard, boil a kettle and mix that in.
Turn on the filter and heater.
*Add 1 ppm dose of ammonia. This is less than the method on here but you can't use 3 ppm with live plants as it could kill them.
Test ammonia after half an hour (so it has thoroughly mixed in) to make sure it really is 1 ppm.

During the cycle, test pH at the same time as ammonia and nitrite to make sure it doesn't drop. If it does, tell us. I can explain why if you want me too  ;)

* this bit can wait till next day if you are exhausted setting the tank up  :)

I find it easier adding water when there is sand in the tank using a colander. I run water into a bucket, adding dechlorinator at the correct dose for the amount of water in the bucket then use a jug to ladle the water into the tank. My colander is a 150 g yoghurt pot with hundreds of holes stabbed in it with a skewer. Other people put a plate on the sand and pour water on top of that. If you just pour it in you end up with a crater all the way down to the glass  ;D

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »
Thank you Sue I had not come across the bicarbonate thing and have read and watched loads, so thank you for that.

I watched someone on YouTube use some bubble wrap to pour the water onto which obviously floats as the water fills up seems a good idea so going try that but I do have a couple of things I could use otherwise.

It is going to take me a couple of hours to wash everything once that is done I will pop out for plants while they are ( I know it seems daft but drying off)  but it will give me a rest as well, as I have very painful tennis elbow it will also give that a rest. Then when I get back I can start putting it all together, I have everything you have said so far.  Fingers crossed everyone.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
Got back with plant only to find I have 2snails in shells what the h**l do I do with them ?.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:53:20 PM »
I know lots of people hate the sight of snails and want to keep their tanks as snail free zones, but they are actually a good part of the tank ecosystem. Being pest snails, they will survive cycling. (It's only the snails we pay good money for that can't cope with ammonia and nitrite  >:( )
These snails can become a nuisance if there are too many of them, and the reason for having hundreds of them is over feeding fish once you have them. They will also eat dead plants if you leave dead plants in the tank, and algae.

My recommendation about what to do is - nothing. Unless you really cannot stand them, leave them be, they are good for a tank.
If they ever get out of control, you could try a snail trap. This is a screw top jar with holes punched in the lid from the outside so that the spikes of metal go inwards into the jar. The holes should be big enough for snails to get through but too small for fish. Bait it with a piece of lettuce and place the jar on its side on the bottom of the tank last thing at night. The snails will go in through the holes in the lid to eat the lettuce but the metal spikes will stop them getting out. Then just remove the jar plus snails the following morning and dispose of the snails however you wish.
Or crush the snails against the tank wall, most fish will eat them.
You can buy chemicals to kill snails but I would not use these. Everything you add to a tank ends up inside the fish, and all these chemicals are not good for them. They will also kill any snails you want to keep, and shrimps.

I have those tiny spiral snails - a species of ramshorns - and the snails referred to as tadpole, bladder or trapdoor snails http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/common-bladder-snail

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:52:51 PM »
WHAT A DAY!!!  ::)  Hi Well the day did not start well, woke up sneezing, coughing, hot/cold. then just has a couple of hours not sure how I was feeling. So Decided to just go out and get the plants first, I did put the tank on the patio with water in whilst I was out so we could make sure it did not leak.  Travelled over to Durham to Fish Alive and bought 3 different plants, 3 bunches of Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, 2 bunches of Cabomba Aquatica (which is where the snails were) and 3 bunches of Ludwigia Palustris Red. I was going to buy some fertilizer for the plants but I was put off a bit as straight away he plonked a £10 packet of plant pellets then some daily fertilizer he said I needed as well then a bottle of C02 stuff which was going to cost me nearly £40 in total, well I quickly refused and aid the £13.50 for my plants. I ended up at P@H and bought some weekly fertilizer that will last me about 15 weeks for £4.50, then to Poundland for a couple more buckets. Back home tank had not leaked so Had a quick lunch and a cuppa and got started, opened the plants and gave them a quick rinse (found the Snails) Panicked  :yikes: :yikes: came straight on here to see what I needed to do and thankfully Andy and Sue came to my rescue, so I put the plants into a tub of water along with the snails until I was ready for them. Then I set to cleaning everything and making sure everything was in working order. Then Stopped OMG.   ::) I had not thought about the fact I needed the electric extension in place before I started as once the tank was full I would not be able to move the unit it is standing on. So had another coffee whilst Alan sorted that out for me. Then the Build started,

Unfortunately, some of my photos did not turn out ok And Alan could not get his camera thing to work he needs to go back to the manual and learn a bit more. only had it a few months and not used it much yet. ::)

I stood back looking, thinking not bad Barbara for the first try,  then OMG I forgot the Bicarb quickly mixed it into some water and put it in. Set all the electrics going then collapsed on the settee absolutely Knacked nerves wrecked  :vcross:. Now What ................ 

Questions :
1, Do I leave the filter going all night,
2, Will there be enough food for the snails without any fish in.
3. Do I add plant fertilizer now or wait a couple of days,
4. Am I right in thinking I start testing water tomorrow giving it time to settle or have I got that wrong.
5. Can someone get me a large stiff drink Please?  :cheers:

Ok come on give me the low down is it a goer or a no goer  ::)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »
Questions :
1, Do I leave the filter going all night,
2, Will there be enough food for the snails without any fish in.
3. Do I add plant fertilizer now or wait a couple of days,
4. Am I right in thinking I start testing water tomorrow giving it time to settle or have I got that wrong.
5. Can someone get me a large stiff drink Please?  :cheers:

Ok come on give me the low down is it a goer or a no goer  ::)

1. Yes, always and forever!! When you turn the filter off for any length of time the bacteria in the media stop getting fed ammonia from the tank and so start dieing off.
2. Is one of the snails in the 5th picture?  I'm trying to understand if the snails have a round garden snail like she'll or a come shaped shell.  Either way they arnt going to starve in the next few days so let me know on the above first.  Come shaped might want a little (very little) food, round will eat decaying plant material  (to set expectations you will probably get some die off initially)
3. Now :) be careful to get dosage right for tank size. And start with a half dose as you will probably get a algae or bacteria bloom when adding until the plants get more established.
4. Have you added the ammonia to 1ppm?
5. Bar not open untill 11:00 sorry  :rotfl:

What's the red substrate you've got?

Looks good :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
Re: IT'S DONE YAY
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Setting up a tank can be exhausting, but you should be very proud of yourself.  :cheers:
The tank looks great, and I like the way that you've got different areas with different substrates. Very pretty pebbles as well.

With regards to the snail pictured, it looks very much like an assassin snail to me, but you'd be better getting other opinions on that.

As for a drink, you deserve it after all of your hard work.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
Well done, that's the really hard bit done  :cheers:

When you said snails in your other thread, did you mean the one in your photo that I have outlined in red below? That is a Malaysian trumpet snail. And in the photo above the one I tampered with, there is a second MTS half buried with the pointy end sticking up.
There are good snails, they keep the sand turned over. These won't starve. It is common for bits of plant to die off, and the snails will eat that.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
My snail identification leaves a lot to be desired, sorry about that.  :-[  ::)

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 09:24:18 AM »
1. I switched it off back on now. oops, the first mistake,
2. The snails are in a cone-shaped shell,
3. Ok will do thank you,
4. Err,!! No but off to do it now,
5. Thanks had a V&C was very much needed!  ;)

The substrate is white sand and Aqua One Natural Gravel £4 per bag.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 09:52:47 AM »
Filters and heaters should be left on 24/7 except for one occasion - during a water change.

If filters are run with the motor out of water it burns out the motor; and heaters turned on with the heating element out of water can explode.

Besides which, it is always a good idea to turn off electrical items before putting your hands in a tank of water  :)

However, those with external filters can leave those running during a water change provided the water level does not drop below the tube taking water from the tank to filter.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »
What might be helpful is to think of the filter as the fishes' life support machine - that way, it should be easier to remember that it needs to be on at all times. However, as Sue said, it should be switched off briefly during tank maintenance - but should be switched back on ASAP thereafter, in which case the analogy of the life support machine might be helpful as a reminder. At the moment, what you're doing is preparing the filter for doing its life support job for once the fish arrive ie processing their waste.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 01:34:03 PM »
All sorted now ammonia in fertilizer in filter back on electrics made more accessible, one snail not to be seen the other with shell half out of the substrate, just a little bit worried hope they are going to survive even though they are snails I would hate to think I have killed them. Hubby thinks I should have the lights closer to the tank thinks they are a bit high up. not sure but will see how it goes.

I would just like to thank everyone for their help. I think if I had not had the encouragement from you all and the great information from this forum. I would have totally chickened out. fingers crossed this is going to work out.

:cheers:  THANK YOU BXX

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS for short, though not to be confused with the other MTS, multiple tank syndrome  ;D ) spend their days in the substrate. They come out at night though. And they also climb up the tank walls if there is something they don't like in the water so you may find them doing that now you have added ammonia. They will survive the ammonia, they'd survive a nuclear holocaust.

Once the tank is cycled and you have fish, if you ever see the MTS on the glass walls during the day, test your water straight away.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
If the plants haven't grown after say a week move the light closer and wait another week to see if it helps.  Last thing you want is an algae bloom  ;)

Might be worth starting a log with what you do with the tank so you can track backwards if you need to.  In fish keeping ideally we change one thing at a time slowly and monitor the effects.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
I am not sure I have the filter set right, there is a lot of water spray coming up off the water even though I have the flow set downwards and it is very noisy I gave set it into the water at the minimum level with the Venturi set approx in the middle, but I have not moved the output flow control I will have to take the filter out to turn it down, not sure if I have this right can someone help, the water is still a bit cloudy even though I have put the fine filter sponge in as well.   Can anyone help me out please. Bx

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
The cloudiness is either very fine dust from the substrate - so fine you couldn't see it in the wash bucket, but you can in the tank because there's more water in there and you are looking through it rather than down on it - or it could be the start of a bacterial bloom. Don't panic, these are very common in new tanks.
The bacteria we want to grow in the filter use chemicals based on nitrogen as food (ammonia, nitrite) and they multiply very slowly. They live in the biofilm which is attached to surfaces. But there are other bacteria which use carbon based chemicals as food, they live floating in the water and they multiply very quickly - and we can see them as a white mistiness.
All the new water you put in the tank contains some carbon based chemicals, as do all the plastic things in your tank (they contain plasticiser) and even the silicone joining the edges together contains them. The good news is that they will use up all their food and die off, but it is impossible to say how long this will take as every tank is different. It will be before the tank is ready for fish  :)

The filter -
You don't need to use the venturi, you can just remove the thin tubing from the filter. That will stop the bubbles. It's the bubbles that cause most of the spray - I know because I have a filter powered by an air pump in my betta's tank; this makes a lot of bubbles and a lot of spray. And bubbles make a noise.
If the filter makes a humming noise, that could be due to air caught in the impeller well. Tilt it side to side, and that should get rid of any air.
One thing I learned the hard way. If you ever do anything to the filter while it is running, don't point the outflow upwards. You'll get very wet  ;D

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »
Ok think I have got it, My hubby is reading the manual as well so he can explain this to me as wel, I am not used to these kind of things but he is very hi tec so understands a bit better than do. Thanks Sue X

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: