Author Topic: IT'S DONE YAY  (Read 14477 times) 105 replies

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: IT'S DONE YAY
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have been back for another go and think I may have sorted it I gave my tank the name barbara's tank only put 2 Honey Gouramis and 10 Ember Tetras I think if these work out I will just stay with them for this tank and start work on my big tank once my arm has healed then look to bigger fish then. B xx

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
My fishless cycle re-start on the 4/10/2017
water reading
 I tested the water that was in the tank before I started the change,
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 8.0
Nitrate: 5.00
Nitrite 0.50

Took out all but a few centimeters of water, all the plants as they were just mush, cleaned the filter in the old water, (a bit to much dead plant matter clogging it up). Replaced the water adding 1ml de-chlorinator per 4.5L I did not put anymore bi-carb in, replanted new plants. tested water

PH 7.4
Ammonia: 2.oo
Nitrate: 4.00
Nitrite: 0

Switched everything back on and tested after 30mins.
Ammonia: 2.00

7/10/20017
Ammonia: 1.00
I am worried that the Nitrate is going up, should I do anything. B xx

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
Nitrate is very hard to judge - I'm surprised you could make it out as accurately as 4. My tap water is between the 0 and 5 colours so I just call that less than 5.
Nitrate is also the most difficult tester to make for home use, and is not terribly accurate because of this. An increase of 1 ppm is most likely to be due to the nature of the tester, and is still the same as the last test.

The main problem with nitrate testers is that one of the reagents doesn't dissolve. The reason that bottle has to be shaken well is to distribute the solid evenly through the liquid. It just takes one extra large particle to distort the results one way or the other.

My younger son who once worked for a water testing company considered our nitrate testers to be highly amusing  :-\

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
Nitrate is very hard to judge - I'm surprised you could make it out as accurately as 4. My tap water is between the 0 and 5 colours so I just call that less than 5.

That is why I said 4 as it is in between the two on the chart.

Do I need to add anything today, or are my readings ok. my Cryptocoryne Parva looks like it is dying off but the other plants are still looking good.

Offline Sue

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »
Wait 3 more days then test again. See what your ammonia reading is then. I know your ammonia has halved but that could be because your plants are using it as you don't have any nitrite yet. If it has dropped further in 3 days and still no nitrite, that will be the obvious conclusion.
But you'd still have to wait to get fish because the tank needs to be able to remove 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours whether it is used by plants or eaten by bacteria.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
The crypt will "melt" before sprouting again. It is a very common thing with this species of plant as it adapts following a move.  If you move it in the tank once its grown it will likely do the same again.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2017, 03:05:21 PM »
Thank You I am a happy chappy   ;D  things look on the up.  :fishy1:

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 05:23:49 PM »
water reading
Nitrite 0.50

Took out all but a few centimeters of water, all the plants as they were just mush, cleaned the filter in the old water, (a bit to much dead plant matter clogging it up). Replaced the water adding 1ml de-chlorinator per 4.5L I did not put anymore bi-carb in, replanted new plants. tested water

PH 7.4

7/10/20017

10/10/17
Ammonia:0
Nitrate: 7

Do I now add 2ppm Ammonia?

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 06:52:50 PM »
Yes, add another dose of ammonia equal to 1 or 2 ppm not as the plants probably won't like it. But test every 2 days rather than every 3.

The nitrate increase form 4 to 7 is too small to measure accurately; I would just ignore it for now.

It is quite likely that the ammonia has gone into the plants. Unlike the ammonia eating bacteria, plants do not turn ammonia into nitrite, they turn in into proteins to make lots of new plant tissue. So don't worry if you never see nitrite; you need to wait until the plants can take up 2 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, that way you'll know that they can take up all the ammonia made by your first batch of fish. I seem to remember that you want to get fish slowly rather than a lot at once?

Since you haven't added any more bicarb, it would be a good idea to check your pH every time you do the other tests. That way you'll pick it up sooner if the pH does start to drop.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
Why do you add bicarb?

Offline Sue

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »
In a plantless cycle, ammonia is turned into nitrite as bacteria grow to eat it, then on to nitrate as more bacteria grow to eat nitrite. Both nitrite and nitrate are acidic so they tend to make the pH drop.
Tap water has some carbonate in it; it comes from the rock the water flows over. Some places have a lot of carbonate because the reservoir or river flows over a lot of limestone. Other areas, like Northumbrian Water's Kielder Water doesn't sit on limestone so there is not much carbonate in the water.
Carbonates react with acid. If there is a lot of carbonate in the water, the amount of acidic nitrite and nitrate isn't enough to use up all the carbonate so the pH stays constant. But in places with very little carbonate it can all get used up and then there is nothing to stop the acids dropping the pH.

The problem during cycling is that our filter bacteria need carbonate to grow properly, and they need an alkaline pH. At below pH 6.5 they stop multiplying. And if there is not much carbonate in the water there may not be enough for the bacteria to grow well enough to multiply.

So in places where KH in tap water is low, it is easier to add bicarbonate of soda to artificially boost the amount of carbonate in the water. All the sodium in bicarb (the soda bit) is not very good for fish, but we do a big water change at the end of the cycle to remove all the nitrate the cycle has made and that also removes bicarb.

My KH (carbonate hardness) is 3 degrees. When I did a fishless cycle (no plants) in 2013, my pH dropped from 7.5 to below 6.

But when there are plants in the tank, they use ammonia as fertiliser. They don't turn it into nitrite or nitrate so there won't be as much acid formed. There will be a bit because of plant waste (yes plants do make waste just not on the scale of animals  :) ) so there is less risk of a pH crash than when there are no plants.
I didn't test my pH in 2013 until I realised that the cycle seemed to have stopped and that's when I found the very low pH. Your cycle with plants may never suffer a pH crash but as pH is the simplest of all the tests (no waiting 5 mins for the colour to develop) testing for pH when you test for all the others will catch the pH starting to fall if the does happen.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
water reading
Nitrite 0.50

PH 7.4

7/10/20017

10/10/17
Ammonia:0
Nitrate: 7

Do I now add 2ppm Ammonia?
Added the Ammonia

Today's reading 13/10/17
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite; 0.25

Added new plants and 10ml Fertilizer. (after tests done).

Snails very active above ground and climbing tank walls during the day, but not coming out of tank do I possibly need to put some food in for them or will there be enough plant matter for them to eat.?

Offline Sue

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 08:13:58 PM »
It looks like something is happening. You have a tiny amount of nitrite, possibly caused by the plants not using all the ammonia, and bacteria staring to multiply to eat the bit the plants don't use.

You could try adding a tiny bit of food for the snails. But what would be better is some vegetable matter. Depending what you have to hand in the kitchen, a thin slice of courgette or a thin slice of cucumber or a small piece of lettuce leaf. They will like it better if it is soft so blanch whatever you have in a bit of water in the microwave for a few seconds. You will need to weight it down, something like a small stone, or even sacrifice a teaspoon and use the handle to skewer the veg. Remove the veg after 24 hours or it will go off and make a mess of the tank - and confuse the cycle. Doing this once a week will be fine for snails.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »
So I test again in 2 days to see if the readings have moved. I have put more plants in today, and now I have found what might be a baby snail n the glass, whatever it is it is moving about so not a bit of debris from the plants.  ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »
Yes, test again in 2 days.
If ammonia is zero but nitrite is not zero, wait another 2 days and test again.
But if both ammonia and nitrite are zero, add another 2 ppm ammonia and test next day.

This is not what I wrote in the 'how to' thread, but it is because you have a lot of plants so the cycle won't be the same as without plants.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2017, 09:35:37 PM »
Thanks, Sue I had realized it was a bit different that is why I am posting it in this way then I will print the whole thing off at the end so I have it to refer back to. Thank You for all your help it is really appreciated. I will put some food in tomorrow and see how it goes. B xx

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »
[FCMF DELETING LARGE SECTION THAT WAS A COPY & PASTE OF THREAD REPLIES #50 & #51 AND THUS POTENTIALLY CONFUSING. C:-)]

CONTINUATION OF WATER QUALITY RESULTS FROM REPLY #51:  C:-)

Fed snails a piece of lettuce not sure if they ate any, but I definitely have baby snails more showing each day.
today's test
16/10/17

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrate: 10

do I wait another 2 days and test again?

Offline Sue

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
Yes I would wait and test again. The good news is that you don't have any nitrite, but you need to make sure the plants can remove all the ammonia before getting fish.

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
But what about the Nitrate it just seems to be getting higher and higher is that not dangerous. I really do not understand about them. I need to re-read it so I can try and get the gist of it all.

Offline Sue

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »
Ooohhh, I missed that  :-[

Yes it does seem a bit odd.

Did you use a bacterial starter at any stage, either when you overdosed ammonia or when you started again? And if so, what was it?
Did the plants come out of a tank that had fish in, or was it a plant-only tank?

1 ppm ammonia is turned into 2.7 ppm nitrite, which is then turned into 3.6 ppm nitrate. Since your tap nitrate is zero, that 10 ppm must all have come from ammonia, and 2.8 ppm ammonia is turned into 10 ppm nitrate.

So....
if you did use a bacterial starter, it could be that it contained nitrite eating bacteria
or
if the plants came from a tank that also had fish, there would have been bacteria on the plants.

Nitrate is only a problem at higher levels, though there is now evidence that we should keep our tanks below 20 ppm nitrate. You don't have fish yet so I wouldn't worry about nitrate. The main thing is that your tank (be it bacteria or plants) can remove all the ammonia made by your future fish, and any nitrite that may be made from that ammonia.
This is why I am concentrating on making sure that your plants are well growing and can take up all the ammonia that you add, or that you grow enough bacteria to eat any ammonia that the plants can't deal with.

A thought has just occurred to  me - are you using any nitrate containing plant fertiliser?

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: