Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 210882 times) 1923 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1800 on: July 04, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm over-the-moon to have found out more about my gang. Obviously I also have lots of ideas about what to do with their tanks, and one of those ideas now includes bringing the Aqua Oak in the spare room into the living room, and putting all the mudskippers back together in this larger tank. That one tank would be put in the space that previously had 4 tanks, so it will even help me to reduce the number of tanks I use.  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1801 on: July 05, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »
I confess to having gone back to the Peterborough Dobbies MA today, for another chat about mudskippers. When I got to the counter it was the same 2 guys that had been there the day before, so I opened with "Hi, I promise I'm not a stalker". The one guy runs both MA stores in Peterborough, the other guy was the one that built and maintains the mudskipper display. I was there for another hour, discussing tanks, set up, and mudskippers. They explained their set up, which was reworked from a coral tray that was previously at the store, as they had to work with what they had. They also had some suggestions as to what they would do if they were starting from scratch. I explained what tanks, filters, and equipment I had available now, we discussed the pros and cons, and have decided that the Fluval Roma 240 is the tank for the mudskippers, and keeping the Aqua Oak 150 for the river fish. We had a long chat about getting some female mudskippers, using their quarantine time to set up the new tank, then introducing all mudskippers to the new set up n the same day.
They showed me some parts on their set up, and how they've created the waterfalls, etc. All very interesting and helpful.  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1802 on: July 06, 2019, 06:53:34 AM »
That sounds like another great fishy day Donna  :fishy1: any photos?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1803 on: July 06, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
Yes, I did ask them if I could take some pictures, though for the first time ever, I was more focused on the technicalities of the set up rather than the fish.  :o

So I've taken a pic of the PFK article to give people an idea of what it looks like, for those who don't get the magazine. I'll also include some of the pics I took.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1804 on: July 06, 2019, 09:20:33 AM »
The display tank contains mollies in the water, and they've had babies. Very cute, though I'm sticking with just the mudskippers in my tank.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1805 on: July 13, 2019, 08:46:22 AM »
Lots of tank work yesterday, lifting heavy rocks, and moving large containers of water.
So much of me is aching today.  :-[

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1806 on: July 14, 2019, 07:58:17 AM »
Just as relevant for freshwater, especially the second one.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1807 on: July 14, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
My male nerite has been falling upside down, usually dropping off the glass or the wood, several times a day in recent weeks/months. Yesterday, when the lights came on, he was lying upside down, desperately trying to rectify his position, but to no avail. Unfortunately, one of the x-ray tetras was overly interested in the situation and kept poking him while I was trying to turn him upright - sadly, it looks as though the tetra succeeded in biting off one of his tentacles. The female nerite's tentacles are very short - about 0.5cm, whereas the male's are an impressive 3cm long ordinarily, but now he has one long one and one 0.5cm stump which he kept manoeuvring yesterday as though it were longer but which he's since realised no longer carries out its previous function. I do hope it grows back in time...

I had been tempted to get a lone dwarf cichlid a few months back but their teeth is precisely the reason I didn't - and as I'd read elsewhere of someone having difficulty keeping nerites with dwarf cichlids. I'll have to keep a close eye on my nerite and the x-rays...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1808 on: August 11, 2019, 09:52:23 AM »
I went to the local MA yesterday to get some RO and have a look around.
They have had a young mbu puffer there for a few weeks, and he is in a tank on his own after being pestered by some other fish in another tank. The staff were saying that he was a bit off his food since the move, and would only eat snails, which they couldn't find enough off in the rest of their system to keep him fed properly. Apparently he's not overly impressed with bloodworms (I was amazed), and had also stopped eating mussels.
I have 3 pest snail breeding tanks in the spare room, so I popped home to harvest some for "Mr Mbu" (yes, they've named him and put his name on his tank label). I watched as the staff fed him, and it was an absolute joy to see him eating so well. He even had a slightly tubby aspect to his tummy by the time he'd finished.  :)
We had a chat about ways to encourage him to feed, and I hope we see a much happier puffer on my next visit.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1809 on: August 18, 2019, 01:41:34 PM »
I saw Mr Mbu the puffer when I went to get RO. The staff are feeding him on river shrimp, as he only shows interest in live food at the moment, though he does look quite pleased with himself about this.

I thought I'd take a break after cleaning the river tank. I moved a rock and a piece of wood during cleaning. The dominant bulldog plec in none too please with this, as it is in the main part of his territory. Looks like I'll have to adjust things so they are back in exactly the same place as before.  ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1810 on: September 01, 2019, 04:23:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have finally bought a new tank for my betta. I've been looking for ages, then last week I was in my favourite shop and glanced at the tanks. Sitting on top of some boxed tank was the thing I've been looking for! A cube, 30 cm per side, with cover glasses.
The filter that was inside was a different make, and the price of £59 was for the tank and filter. I said I didn't need a filter or heater as I already have them so they put the filter back on the shelf and charged me £29 for the tank alone. It has an Aqua One sticker on it but as it does not have a sectioned off bit for the heater and filter it isn't an Aqua Nano.

Unfortunately we were almost home when I remembered I needed a base mat. That is due from Ebay early next week but I can't swap tanks till it arrives  :-\

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1811 on: September 01, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
That's amazing value Sue  ;D can't wait to see it!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1812 on: September 01, 2019, 05:49:57 PM »
I'll take some photos once I have it all set up.

The thing I didn't like about the current tank (an Aqua One AquaSpace) is that the cover glass only covered half the tank with a big gap at the front and back. This meant that evaporation was a problem, and bettas can jump - my current betta jumps half out of the water when i feed him. I got round that by siliconing some glass strips from an old tank just below the rim and using some perspex as a lid. But perspex gets old looking (scratched, discoloured etc) so it looked a bit of a mess. But it will do as a QT.

I forgot to mention that I don't need a light either as I already have a clip-on light  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1813 on: September 01, 2019, 07:52:35 PM »
My Betta also jumps when feeding but has never been seen to do it at any other time... might be like a trampoline in there when I'm not looking... who knows!

Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of your main tank too if you don't mind sharing @Sue. I know you have them set up super low maintnenace and I'd like to see if I can steal some tips from you!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1814 on: September 01, 2019, 07:56:44 PM »
I'll get the camera out tomorrow - or at least I will if I get chance to do the water change. The trouble with having a retired husband is that he keeps wanting to go out on water change day  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #1815 on: September 04, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »
The base mat arrived yesterday just before we went out for the afternoon. I have spent the morning swapping tanks. The worst bit was trying to catch the shrimps. 21 of them. I had no idea there were that many in there.

The tank is a couple of litres smaller than the old one, but it is still plenty big enough for a betta. I measured 23 litres of water in, but the sand was wet from when I washed it (with dechlorinated water) so there's a tiny bit more from there.

I've charged the camera batteries but photos will have to wait till the tank clears.

Photos of the main tank will also have to wait a bit - I should have done a water change on Monday afternoon, but we went out. We went out again yesterday afternoon. I hope I'll be able to do it today, but you never know, he's muttering about going out again  >:(

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #1816 on: September 04, 2019, 10:35:30 PM »
My Betta and shrimps do not get on unfortunately, great you have having success with them and some breeding action going on.  Photos on your own time Sue no worries, though they are eagerly anticipated!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #1817 on: September 05, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/gallery-showcase/sue's-tanks-september-2019/

The shrimps were an experiment with my last betta. He was very laid back so I tried 3 shrimps (1 m 2 f) and he ignored them. I was continually hoovering up baby shrimps so they all went back into the main tank at each water change, though obviously I missed some as the shrimp numbers increased.
When he died and I got my current betta, he ate the baby shrimps - I did not hoover up any more babies. But some must have got passed him as there were many more shrimps than I had realised when I swapped tanks, and a lot were only half grown. Maybe he isn't as interested as he's grown older.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #1818 on: September 06, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »
Great to read and see these updates, @Sue.

Life is certainly a lottery. My two elderly shoals (x-rays aged almost 5; harlies aged 4.25) and the neon greens which haven't fared very well (aged 1) have been looking rather like any one of them could potentially pass on at any time. The 3 x-rays all have eye problems, 3 of the 4 harlies just look old and one is developing eye problems, and the 3 of the 4 neon greens look weak. This left only two fish I felt fairly confident about as they seemed comparatively robust, although one seemingly robust harley had a sudden death a while back so I am aware of what can happen. At some stage in the past 2-3 hours, the big robust female neon green who had a strong personality and commandeered most of the tank must have experienced a catastrophic health event - she's lying dead in the rocks, not wedged in, but as though she experienced a sudden death and ended up there. In view of her young age, the fish I would have least expected! [Edited to add: removal of her body showed no signs whatsoever of anything untoward. Of one consolation was that she had been perfectly fine at breakfast time, so the demise but have been swift.]
 :'(   :'(   :'(

Offline sharpandroid

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #1819 on: September 06, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »
Took the Fluval U1 back to MA in Poppleton today because it was noisy, they plugged it in and dropped irt into the plant tank, "i can't hear anything" he said, I said " it's noisy in here you wont be able to hear it" the reply "you have a long guarantee with it so if it does it again bring it back".

Not the response I was after.
I realise that just because they work in a particular job doesn't mean people have an interest in it, this could be the case in MA Poppleton, some of the advice given when I first started has meant I'm stuck with something less than ideal regarding the fish and water parameters in this area.

I then bought a couple of the aqua care test pots, just the strips, Ammonia and the 5 in 1, should have gone somewhere else.... 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (4) - Slender Harlequin (9) - Cardinal Tetra (9) - Japonica Shrimp (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: