Think Fish Keepers Daily News.

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.  (Read 99940 times)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #1200 on: May 06, 2018, 10:57:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Wow- thoroughly enjoyed reading this fascinating update, both on what happened last time round and your project this time round. Congrats on your role and achievement in raising the fry on this occasion.  :fishy1:

Fish Community Creator Tanks
X-ray Tetra (5) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Sparkling Gourami (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cherry Barb (3) - Blue Tetra (1) - Ember Tetra (1) - Golden Pencilfish (2) - Glowlight Tetra (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Lampeye Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #1201 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09:28 PM »
Am I reading this right.. that you have about 300 baby fish?  That's amazing! No wonder you are needing to do large water changes!

Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) - Panda Cory (5) - Chain Loach (4) - Honey Gourami (2) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Sparkling Gourami (6) - Coolie Loach (2) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka: Pierre
« Reply #1202 on: May 06, 2018, 11:13:35 PM »
What an adventure...!!!  Would love to see pics Andy...  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1203 on: May 07, 2018, 10:03:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Andy. It always great to hear about success like this.

Pity about the pics but I know how hard it is photographing fish  ;)

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Snails (1) - Slender Harlequin (15) - Peacock Goby (4) - Otocinclus (5) - Pygmy Cory (3) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Japonica Shrimp (80) - Snails (5) - Neon Tetra (18) - Honey Gourami (1) -

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #1204 on: May 07, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »
@Sue The fish were no problem, the little posers thought it was feeding time. Its posting them that is always the problem :(

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Otocinclus (4) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Panda Cory (12) - Black Phantom Tetra (6) - Black Widow Tetra (6) - Marbled Hatchetfish (7) - Neon Tetra (13) - Red Phantom Tetra (6) - Red Eye Tetra (6) - Angelfish (2) - Snails (12000) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1205 on: May 07, 2018, 02:34:05 PM »
Are the photos too big? There is a size limit per photo, and a total size limit per post. If the photos are over 3000 KB, just resize them. If the photos are smaller than that but they total over 6000 KB, just split them into several posts.

My problem is getting the fish to keep still  ;D

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Snails (1) - Slender Harlequin (15) - Peacock Goby (4) - Otocinclus (5) - Pygmy Cory (3) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Japonica Shrimp (80) - Snails (5) - Neon Tetra (18) - Honey Gourami (1) -

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1206 on: May 07, 2018, 10:43:13 PM »
Are the photos too big? There is a size limit per photo, and a total size limit per post. If the photos are over 3000 KB, just resize them. If the photos are smaller than that but they total over 6000 KB, just split them into several posts.

@Andy The Minion   if you right click on a photo (assuming on PC) and select "open with", then select "Paint"...  You'll find a really easy to use re-size tool for photos...  :)

Offline Helen

« Reply #1207 on: May 08, 2018, 09:09:03 PM »
I usually crop my photos and that reduces them enough to be able to post.

Harlequin Rasbora (12) - Coolie Loach (2) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Slender Harlequin (10) - Fiveband Barb (12) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (9) - Ember Tetra (11) - Celestial Pearl Danio (6) - Sparkling Gourami (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Coolie Loach (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (12) - Fiveband Barb (12) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (9) - Kribensis (2) - Slender Harlequin (11) - Ember Tetra (12) -

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #1208 on: May 08, 2018, 10:13:41 PM »
I will have another look at the pictures at the weekend. They were taken on a 'generic fruit-based device' (let's see who gets that reference) and the interface is just too slick to show anything as useful as a file size or allow you to resize them, though no doubt there is yet another app that will do it. I'll transfer them to the pc, my guess is they just exceed the 3M limit.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Otocinclus (4) - Bulldog Catfish (1) - Panda Cory (12) - Black Phantom Tetra (6) - Black Widow Tetra (6) - Marbled Hatchetfish (7) - Neon Tetra (13) - Red Phantom Tetra (6) - Red Eye Tetra (6) - Angelfish (2) - Snails (12000) -

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #1209 on: May 08, 2018, 10:44:21 PM »
I too have a “generic fruit” based device. There is a way of resizing photo’s but it isn’t obvious. It appear that if you ‘share’ the photo and then ‘mail’ it to yourself there’s an ‘images’ option which allows you to change the size.
That is if I’m correct in my assumption that your ‘generic fruit’ device is the same as mine !!!.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #1210 on: May 08, 2018, 11:31:51 PM »
BlackBerry and Apple pie anyone?

Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) - Panda Cory (5) - Chain Loach (4) - Honey Gourami (2) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Sparkling Gourami (6) - Coolie Loach (2) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1211 on: May 09, 2018, 06:37:41 PM »
I was becoming concerned about my male honey gourami a few weeks ago. He was hiding in the top corner behind the heater with disintegrating tail fin and the back end of his dorsal fin becoming ragged. His colour was very washed out, and the female was chasing him every time he poked his nose out.
A few days ago, I noticed he was beginning to colour up and coming out more, so I've been watching him this afternoon. The female still chases him, but not as aggressively as before, and his fins are starting to regrow. Hopefully he is on the mend  :)

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1212 on: May 09, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »
Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery, and that she'll calm down a bit too...  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1213 on: May 10, 2018, 06:12:58 AM »
Best wishes to your little fella.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1214 on: May 11, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »
Hope he's improving and being left in relative peace by the female, @Sue.

Snail #8 found on Wed; snail #9-12 found in today's water change, all attached to the back of the filter along with several patches of jelly-like substance and what I think were semi-hatched snails plus lots of black pieces (snail poo, I assume) on the filter floss. All wiped off as best as possible and snail #9-12 awaiting rehoming to pastures waters new. Hoping no more hitch-hikers lurking around!

X-ray Tetra (5) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Sparkling Gourami (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cherry Barb (3) - Blue Tetra (1) - Ember Tetra (1) - Golden Pencilfish (2) - Glowlight Tetra (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Lampeye Panchax (1) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1215 on: May 24, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »
We have just got back from a trip away - the first time I've left my fish in 5 years. I know I always say that fish will be OK for a week or more, but I was very relieved to find them all fit and well.

My brother-in-law got married - again - yesterday in Cwmbran and my husband was best man. A very enjoyable day  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1216 on: May 24, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
I'm very glad that all's ok, Sue - I was actually getting concerned due to your (and others') uncharacteristic lack of apparition on the forum. Glad that the fish were well too and that your time in Wales was good.

My snail celebrated his first birthday yesterday (he's been doing this by spending all day, all week sleeping - but seems to move around during the night) and my harlies celebrate their third birthday tomorrow (brine shrimp banquet planned for them).  :)

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1217 on: May 24, 2018, 11:52:37 PM »
Welcome back Sue...  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #1218 on: May 26, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
How's your gourami @Sue?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1219 on: May 26, 2018, 12:27:14 PM »
Both male and female are behaving as though there was never anything wrong with the male. Though I must admit I can't actually find the male at the moment. The hornwort is taking over again and I can't see any fish lurking in the top 3 inches of the tank  ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1220 on: May 27, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
I think I jinxed things. I couldn't find the male gourami yesterday, when I fed the tank or when I cleaned it, and I can't find him again today. Yet he was behaving quite normally on Friday.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #1221 on: May 27, 2018, 08:25:23 PM »
Got my fingers crossed for you Sue...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1222 on: May 28, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »
Any update on the gourami today @Sue

I've also been away for the first time in several years. Luckily I arranged for a friend to call in ever 3 days to feed the gang. All tanks were labelled with numbers, and a corresponding list of instructions (and emergency phone numbers) provided. They also attended "training sessions" prior to the holiday, to make sure they knew what to do, especially with feeding the axolotls. I am pleased to report that everyone has done well.  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1223 on: May 28, 2018, 03:57:31 PM »
We were only away 3 nights. I fed the fish on Monday before we went (I know they shouldn't be fed until an hour after the lights come on, but I didn't have much choice) and then again on Thursday afternoon as soon as we got home.

I still can't find the male gourami, and the female has been showing stress colouration as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with the peacock gudgeons. These supposedly bottom dwelling fish have been spending a lot of time swimming in the floating plants recently, and one of the males is quite large. Has he stressed the gouramis too much?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1224 on: May 28, 2018, 07:22:18 PM »
You were missed, LF. Glad all worked out well with your friend feeding your gang every so many days - sounds a good plan to have trained them (ie your friend, not the gang) and to have arranged this all so meticulously so that all worked out well.

Hope the male gourami shows up, ideally alive, Sue - but this doesn't sound too good; will keep my fingers crossed, though.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1225 on: May 29, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »
Yet another hitch-hiker snail found last night, speeding along the tank glass, despite siphoning deep into the substrate and being convinced I'd finally removed them all from every conceivable place. I think that large Echinodorus plant must have grown around a nest of snails' eggs and the snails must be constantly reproducing.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1226 on: June 02, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »
Having used Seachem Prime for many years (maybe a decade although not certain), then tried Microbe-Lift-Extreme last time round, I'm now using API Tap Water Conditioner as my dechlorinator. So far, so good - no oil-like slick on the water surface (like the Microbe) and, even although I need to treat for chloramines and therefore require a higher dosage than otherwise, good value for £.  :D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1227 on: June 02, 2018, 02:12:02 PM »
I know that Prime contains a whole host of chemicals but Seachem won't say what.

Microbe Lift Extreme contains something to remove chlorine, something to bind metals, something to detoxify ammonia, something to detoxify nitrite, "a multi-part skin-slime replacer", "essential electrolytes" and something to "boost alkalinity" - in other words, it contains a lot of chemicals in addition to the chlorine remover and something to bind metals.
Looking at their SDS sheet, it contains
sodium hydroxymethanesulfonate (removes chlorine, breaks up chloramine and removes the ammonia from the chloramine)
sodium bicarbonate (the alkalinity booster)
sodium chloride - common salt (the essential electrolytes) which should not be added to freshwater tanks
edetate sodium - aka EDTA (to bind metals)
aloe vera (the skin slime replacer) which is known to cause problems with protein skimmers and clog fish's gills

API Tap Water Conditioner contains just 2 chemicals - thiosulphate to remove chlorine/split chloramine then remove the chlorine; and EDTA to bind metals.

It's those extra chemicals that can cause the 'oil slick'

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1228 on: June 02, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
I've had another one of those "accidents".
I went to the fish store this morning. Technically I didn't buy anything.
However, I did pay for/reserve some more annieae gobies for the river tank, and a very perky platinum/white betta with a transparent tail.
Time to set up some quarantine tanks.  ::)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1229 on: June 02, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »
Including the QTs, how many tanks is that now?

I'm getting betta withdrawal symptoms. I want a new betta!
We didn't want the work moving the radiator done before we went away in case it developed a leak, and the plumber has been away this week. If the work isn't done soon, I won't be able to wait any longer!!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1230 on: June 02, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
Oooh, I do love reading about your "accidents", Littlefish - it feels like "all is right with the world" when you're stocking up on more fish and tanks.  ;D

Hope you manage to get your new betta soon, Sue.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1231 on: June 02, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
I'm down to 14 tanks, including the empty ones.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1232 on: June 02, 2018, 05:32:06 PM »
I'm down to 14 tanks, including the empty ones.
You're hilarious.  :rotfl:

Thanks, @Sue, for the list of ingredients in the Microbe product - let's hope my fish don't suffer withdrawal symptoms from the lack of chemicals!  :D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1233 on: June 04, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »
The plumber phoned an hour ago, he'll be here at 8 am tomorrow to do the radiators - 3, including relocating the kitchen one.

I have filled a bucket with water from the 26 litre tank, which is now on the dining room floor with the heater and filter running.
I have removed the sand and washed it with the remaining tank water, and a bucket of warm dechlorinated water, and put it in the bucket in the dining room.
I have cleaned and dried the tank.
I have attached a glass strip to one long side of the tank.
On Wednesday I will attach a second glass strip to the other long side.
On Friday, or maybe Saturday, I will put the sand and water from the bucket in the dining room back into the tank, and top up with new water.
And next week I can go a buy a new betta  ;D

The tank came with plastic 'things' which slot over the sides of the tank and have a flange on the inside to support the cover. The problem with air powered sponge filters is that they create spray which condenses on the underside of the cover, runs along the cover to the supports then capillary action takes the water under the bracket, over the edge of the glass and down the outside walls. I've panicked on a few occasions when I've found water under the tank, and it's just been escaped condensation.
My first tank had glass strips on each long side. When it finally started to leak, I removed the strips because "they could come in useful". I bought a glass cutter and trimmed them to size and these are what I'm siliconing to the betta's tank. My reasoning is that with strips 2 cm below the top of the glass, condensation will just sit on the glass strips and not run down the outside of the tank.

I hope.

And before anyone asks, I have been adding ammonia to the tank since the last betta died  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1234 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
By 6 this evening, the first glass strip was rock solid so I did the second one. In theory I can refill the tank on Wednesday evening, but I'll leave it till Friday morning then see if my husband will take me fish shopping  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1235 on: June 04, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »
Friday could be new fish day.
This is exciting news.  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1236 on: June 04, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »
Looking forward to hearing LF's and Sue's imminent "new fish" news.
 :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #1237 on: June 04, 2018, 10:48:40 PM »
Looking forward to hearing LF's and Sue's imminent "new fish" news.
 :fishy1:

Me too! Saw a lovely koi Betta today... was very tempted!

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #1238 on: June 04, 2018, 10:51:30 PM »
Ditto on looking forward to the new fish news...  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #1239 on: June 04, 2018, 11:09:07 PM »
OK full disclosure...I've got a 12 litre or tank on the cheap I'm trying to figure out what to do with... shrimp only and filterless or Betta tank...

More to come!... though I'm really liking the idea of growing some of the plants emerged so that will definately be a feature!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1240 on: June 05, 2018, 08:49:42 AM »
Shrimps. It's a bit small for a betta. Absolute minimum is 2.5 US gallons = 9.5 litres but 5 US gallons (19 litres) is much better. I have never put a betta in anything smaller than 25 litres.

Though if you have plants growing out if the tank shrimps would climb up them and escape; and betta's can jump so they need a lid.

Offline Helen

« Reply #1241 on: June 05, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »
What about growing your own live food?

Harlequin Rasbora (12) - Coolie Loach (2) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Slender Harlequin (10) - Fiveband Barb (12) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (9) - Ember Tetra (11) - Celestial Pearl Danio (6) - Sparkling Gourami (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Coolie Loach (8) - Harlequin Rasbora (12) - Fiveband Barb (12) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (9) - Kribensis (2) - Slender Harlequin (11) - Ember Tetra (12) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1242 on: June 07, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
I filled the betta tank this morning, and we are going betta shopping this afternoon. Luckily I did it before I stabbed my finger with a Stanley knife  ::)

(We've ordered a new lounge carpet which means we have to paint the woodwork before it is fitted. This involves removing a 3 inch strip of carpet round the skirting board, and with the furniture we have this will take at least 4 days. We started yesterday on the easy bit, and after my husband painted the top coat on that bit while I set up the tank, we moved some furniture and I cut the carpet on that bit of wall. And stabbed myself  :-[  Husband will undercoat that bit before lunch, then we're off out!)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1243 on: June 07, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Update:

He has a pale blue body fading to white towards the head, and bright red fins. He is young (= small) and may turn out to be a half moon, which is a betta where the tail edges are 180 apart.

Photos to follow once he's settled.

And I moved one of the small grey nerites from the main tank.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #1244 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:28 PM »
Can't wait to see the photo Sue!

Happy to know you have a Betta once again  :))

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #1245 on: June 07, 2018, 08:05:46 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrival @Sue   :cheers:

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures when he has settled in.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #1246 on: June 08, 2018, 08:26:40 AM »
Looking forward to seeing him as i am thinking about getting one aswell  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1247 on: June 08, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
I bought this new betta from my nearest Maidenhead Aquatics. They keep them in one of those units where each fish has a small tank to itself, and the tanks are in rows where the water trickles into the top row, overflows into the 2nd row and so on down to the bottom, then I assume through a filter before being pumped back to the top row. They also have different bettas - I can't remember seeing a veiltail there, the bettas are either crowntails, superdeltas or half moons with the odd king betta (extra large palakats). I've even seen very expensive koi bettas there. Yesterday they were obviously awaiting a new delivery as they had only half a dozen bettas. They were mainly crowntails (which i don't like, but that's just me) and a couple of marble pattern which I know can change colour. There was one reserved fish that would have been very tempting - mid blue body with dark red fins. But the fish that stood out for me was the one I bought, and he was perky and flared at my finger which is always a good sign.

The new betta is the 4th I've bought from this branch of MA which hasn't been open as long as the others within driving distance. The blue marble delta tail which turned plain blue was the first, he lived 23 months; then the plain peach half moon which lived 291/2 months; then the 'neurotic' peach and pale blue which died in April 7 months after I got him; and my new pale blue and red betta.

However, the MA that burned down in the garden centre recently (my second nearest) kept bettas in tanks with other fish and they were virtually all red or dark blue veiltails.

For those of you wanting to buy a betta, I recommend looking at all the MAs you can get to. They do vary a lot in the bettas they stock. And the better ones do stock an amazing assortment of bettas.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #1248 on: June 08, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
That's some good information sue as i will be looking to buy one sometime in the near future. My tank at the moment has 4 baby corys about 3 months old, but next week i am looking to put them in the main tank.

I will then break down the tank as i want to change the substrate and add some plants.I will then be looking for some kind betta filter and start from fresh. I can use the filter in the tank i have now to reseed the tank.

We have 2 MA's near me one down the road and one in cheddar both In garden centre's.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #1249 on: June 08, 2018, 06:12:19 PM »
Not that I want him unduly perturbed in any way by the "fish paparazzi" but the suspense of seeing Sue's betta pic is getting difficult to last much longer...

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just £20 per month.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: