See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

Think Fish Keepers Daily News.

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.  (Read 67151 times)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #800 on: July 26, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
What are you going to do with them all??

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #801 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »
The (possibly) final total is 107 babies moved to another tank.

Wow!  :yikes:

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #802 on: July 26, 2017, 07:51:37 AM »
The final, final count was 111 babies.
By the looks of them it's pretty much a 50:50 split of standard colour, same as Harri (mummy fish), and yellow with dark eyes, like Bertie. Shame it's too soon to tell if all the boys are yellow and all the girls dark, and I'm not completely on top of my BN genetics, so can't guess.
MA have said they will take them, but that was when the fish laid the first batch of eggs. I can't imagine the store won't take them all, but there are another 3 stores that I go to, so I could always take some to each.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #803 on: July 26, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
That's how I felt after emptying my 50 litre tank full of shrimps. But that was only 50 litres....

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #804 on: July 26, 2017, 03:47:53 PM »
I had a JBL air pump running the sponge filter in my betta's tank but it was quite noisy and the tubing coming out of the pump had turned dark brown. So I bought an Eheim air pump to replace it.
Wow, is it quiet! I have to listen for the humming now.

And a couple of weeks ago I replaced the water sprite in the betta's tank. It doesn't do well in there, presumably not enough nitrate/ammonia with just one fish and a snail, but as the water sprite in the 180 litre needs thinning out regularly it isn't a problem. As I was setting up the new air pump, I spotted another rice fish fry, which must have come from an egg on the water sprite. I know it isn't good to have just one fry on its own but it will get eaten pretty quickly if I move it to the main tank.
I'd better get the fry food out of the cupboard.

I'm not sure the betta can see these fry as he does have trouble finding his food from more than half an inch away. Either that or he is too old to bother chasing them - I got him in March 2015.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #805 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »
Congratulations on your extra fry @Sue   :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #806 on: July 26, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »
4 fry last time, 1 this time doesn't really compete with 111 bn fry  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #807 on: July 26, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
It's all relative. BNs are prolific breeders, and their eggs are so huge there is no way anything else in that tank could eat them. Rice fish on the other hand....far more tricky to keep happy enough to breed, and for the eggs & fry to survive.   ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #808 on: July 28, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
I have been studying my rasboras after reading something on line. I think I have Trigonostigma espei not T. hengeli.
The shop had three separate tanks labelled harlequin rasboras, hengel's rasboras and espe's rasboras. I wanted 15 and there weren't enough harlies or espe's rasboras so I got them from the tank labelled hengel's rasboras.
Mine are definitely not harlequins because the black mark is not nearly big enough. But they are all over light orange and there is no orange line above the black mark, which is why I think I might have T. espei.

I need an expert in fish ID  :-\

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #809 on: July 28, 2017, 04:18:09 PM »
Definitely matches the description of Espei Rasboras.

IMHO the prettiest of the 3 breeds.  I was hoping to put some in my collection at some point, but now I know a bit more about the hobby, my pH is just a bit too high.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #810 on: July 28, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »
And looking at them again after the lights came on, they have orange in their dorsal fins like espeis. Mine have orange eye rings and none of the photos of hengels do.

I think I'll change my signature until I can prove they are hengels. it is always possible that the tanks were mislabelled at the shop. The Trigonostigmas of all threes species were very small.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #811 on: July 31, 2017, 03:48:09 PM »
I've just witnessed one of my female panda cories eating a small pest snail. I've never seen that happen before, the cories usually ignore the snails, which get harvested for the puffer tank.
She didn't have the same level of attack/suction power as the dwarf puffers, and didn't completely empty the shell (will have to pull out the remains with the long forceps), but she seemed to feel that the snack was worth the effort.
Well done young lady, keep up the good work.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #812 on: August 01, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
I am desperate to do a water change. My poor fish haven't had any clean water for 11 days.

I did something to my back last Friday morning, the day I was supposed to do the water changes. I haven't been able to stand up straight since then. I can't ask my husband to siphon the water out as not only would he refuse to put his hands in the tanks but he would probably suck up all the sand and half the fish as he's never done it before.
The pain isn't nearly so bad this morning and I can almost straighten up so hopefully I'll be able to do the water changes in the next day or two.

But we do have a recliner chair so I can still sit here and use my laptop  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #813 on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:04 PM »
@Sue, I think your husband needs to be taught some siphoning skills, practising with a bucket and a spare fishless tank/container, so that he's able to do this either now or later down the line on any occasion when you might not be able to.

My nerite snail has vanished for the past 79 hours - no sign of any snail poo either which is usually an indicator of his whereabouts. The tank rim and lid has been checked. All decor and plants have been removed, checked and replaced, to no avail. I have a gut feeling that he's escaped through the cable holes although I'm not panicking just yet, in case he's been hibernating under the thin layer of substrate even although there's been no sign of it moving.

As for my plants, my delivery of just over a week ago was dead within the week - only 1/4 plants was semi-surviving by the end of the week. I wasn't able to get to the LFS, hence the online delivery, but I think I'll stick to the LFS from now on as I seem to have better luck with theirs! Failing that, I'll be reverting to silk plants once again.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #814 on: August 07, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »
Nerite snails are extremely good at hiding. If you remember back a couple of years, I needed to treat the tank and despite taking everything out of the tank I failed to find one of the snails so it had to take its chance with the med. It reappeared a couple of days later.

I finally did a water change after 13 days, and I'll do another one tomorrow which is less than a week after the last one. I've suffered back problems for 30 years so I know they don't last very long. They just hurt for several days. Almost every time I've done it by twisting, in this case by twisting round to get something out of the back seat of the car. You'd think I'd have learned by now  :-\

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #815 on: August 08, 2017, 04:09:39 PM »
After finding that the panda cories had been breeding, followed by the BNs, I've had another surprise today.
I was cleaning the dwarf puffer tank, and to cut a long story short, I've set up a quarantine tank for the 3 baby dwarf puffers I rescued from the dirty water bucket.  :o
They are tiny, so I don't know if they will survive, but we'll see what happens.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #816 on: August 08, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
I've said it before, but the way your fish behave you'll soon be able to supply shops in your area  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #817 on: August 08, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
I'm considering having a very stern chat with the gang, just to get them to take a bit more responsibility for their actions. Perhaps they will then understand that I'm running out of quarantine tanks, and the time to have a life.  :))

Offline fcmf

« Reply #818 on: August 08, 2017, 07:51:36 PM »
Nerite snails are extremely good at hiding.
Yes - he re-appeared very briefly within the hour of me writing that he'd been missing for 79 hours but vanished again shortly thereafter.

I was cleaning the dwarf puffer tank, and to cut a long story short, I've set up a quarantine tank for the 3 baby dwarf puffers I rescued from the dirty water bucket.  :o They are tiny, so I don't know if they will survive, but we'll see what happens.
They sound adorable; what sort of size are they? Fingers crossed that they survive and that we get to see some pics.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #819 on: August 08, 2017, 09:22:01 PM »
Glad to hear that your snail has reappeared, if only briefly.

The dwarf puffer babies are tiny, tiny, tiny. Around 2-3mm. I had to get the magnifying glass to check what they were.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #820 on: August 16, 2017, 04:45:14 PM »
I have just done a water change and plants reorganise.

I have had java fern for years, it was the only plant I couldn't kill when I first got live plants. I now have a lot more plants including java fern 'wendelov' which is much prettier than ordinary java fern. The wendelov shared a piece of wood with Anubias coffeefolia, and they are both now too big to be on a single bit of wood. I decided the time had come to separate them so I removed a piece of wood with ordinary java fern and put the plants in the compost, then found a better shaped piece of wood to tie the anubias to (I have a few spare bits in my box)
Once the anubias has settled, I'll remove some bits of wendelov from the main plant and see if I can grow them bigger, then gradually replace the rest of the ordinary java fern with wendelov.

The flower bud on the bucephalandra is getting bigger but there are no signs of it opening yet.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #821 on: August 25, 2017, 06:43:55 PM »
While lying awake last night, worrying about a number of things, one of these was about copper inadvertently contaminating the main fishtank with the nerite snail. Just glanced at the packets of Hikari micro wafers and Hikari micro pellets and discovered with horror that they contain copper sulphate - each fed daily to the fish. That's in addition to the copper in the Seachem Flourish plant fertiliser.  :yikes:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #822 on: August 25, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »
It's the amount of copper that matters  :) Copper containing meds have a lot of it.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #823 on: August 26, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
Unfortunately the baby dwarf puffers that I found in the waste bucket after syphoning the substrate did not survive in the quarantine tank. I had put mini moss balls and a few other items from other tanks in with them, and I had a bowl on the windowsill to culture infusoria for the tank, but still no joy with the babies. Perhaps I would have been better putting them back in the main tank to take their chances with the adults.
We live and learn.  :-\

Offline fcmf

« Reply #824 on: August 26, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
Sorry to read about this, @Littlefish - I read something very similar elsewhere in which the fry left in the main tank survived but the ones in the QT didn't. What a shame after all your efforts.

We live and learn.  :-\
Hear, hear - and this applies so much to fishkeeping as I know only too well myself.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #825 on: August 27, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »
Knowing @Littlefish and co. there will be plenty more babies!!  :cheers:

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #826 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:52 PM »
Well, this week I have learned that there is no such thing as just one pond snail.

It's been about 6 weeks since I saw a snail in the Flex. Every one I saw got thrown straight into my main tank to feed my Assassin snail as he (and a more reasonable feeding regime) had pretty much eradicated them.
For at least a month I have been hand feeding him the occasional bloodworm since he misses out during normal feeding (probably on account of him being a snail).

Anyway, I digress...  So, I come back from work last Friday to find the biggest pond/pest snail I've ever seen trundling around the small tank.  I can only assume it had been hiding in the pump cavity at the back of the tank living on biofilm.

This seemed fortuitous because I was contemplating getting a Nerite or two to add a bit of variety and help the shrimp with the algae.

Nobody told me that they can fertilise themselves!!!!

I know have loads of tiny, tiny snails in the tank  :o

Still, every cloud has a silver lining: I won't have to hand-feed my Assassin for much longer! :D

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #827 on: August 31, 2017, 07:51:37 AM »
It's a big day for me today...I'm going to get rid of two tanks.  :o
Yes. it's true.
I will admit that these were the first tanks I bought online after I bought/cycled/stocked the starter tanks purchased from P@H and realising the starter tanks were too small for the fish, regardless of what I'd been told at the store.
I've never liked the tanks in question, so they are first out of the door when attempting to rationalise my MTS.  :)

On a slightly different topic, as I've been clearing out tanks, and after the amano shrimp were put into the river tank, I was clearing out that tank, and found 5 baby assassin snails. So cute. They have gone into the betta tank, and their empty tank now contains rocks & wood and is on the windowsill in an attempt to grow more algae for the river tank.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #828 on: August 31, 2017, 09:21:20 AM »
...I'm going to get rid of two tanks.  :o

Something I never thought to hear you say  :yikes:

But I do agree, our tastes and expectations change as we get more into the hobby, and early purchases can seem less attractive than they were at the beginning  ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #829 on: August 31, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
@TrenchyLs  Although they are hermaphrodites, it is very rare for these snails to fertilise themselves. But they can store sperm just like guppies  :)

And breed as fast as guppies  >:(

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #830 on: August 31, 2017, 09:43:59 PM »
...I'm going to get rid of two tanks.  :o

Something I never thought to hear you say  :yikes:

But I do agree, our tastes and expectations change as we get more into the hobby, and early purchases can seem less attractive than they were at the beginning  ;D

I'm going to have to get rid of another tank tomorrow. It's another old 60L one which I'm currently using to soak wood, and I've just realised that it's leaking.
At this rate I'll be bordering on normal rather than addicted.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #831 on: August 31, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
You'll have to update your signature @Littlefish   ;)

I must admit to having got a little lost as to what tanks you currently have running!  :rotfl:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #832 on: August 31, 2017, 10:34:06 PM »
I'm getting concerned. Either the real Littlefish has been abducted by aquatic aliens or else someone has hacked into her profile and is typing instead of her - I really can't believe that the contents of her posts on this thread today have been written by the Littlefish we know. I'm actually worried as to what tomorrow's posts will say! Please reassure us that you'll be keeping the rest.  :))

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #833 on: September 01, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »
Fear not, for I have neither been abducted or hacked.  :)
I'm just having a bit of a tidy up after having all the quarantine tanks around the house, and also using the time to clean all the items (decor & kit) that I currently have spare, and storing them in one place. I'd gotten into a bit of a mess with various bits and pieces in different places around the house, so quite often couldn't find what I needed and ended up going out and getting another. I had completely lost track of what I had, and what was working/available for use.
I'm currently in the process of rationalising/reorganising/replanting the tanks, and have plans for all remaining tanks.  ;D
I will update my MTS thread with plans & progress, and to provide reassurance that my urge to have more tanks & aquatic housemates is still strong.   :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #834 on: September 01, 2017, 06:55:34 PM »
Sounds like you might be able to open a VLFS

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #835 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
Sorry for the change of mood, but -

I don't think my betta has long left in this world  :( I bought him in March 2015 so he is a good age for a betta. But in the last couple of months he has taken to spending his day under a log watching the world go by. This has developed over the last week to lying on his side under the wood with his tail towards the outside world, and now he has stopped eating. Every time I go past the tank I examine him with a magnifying glass to see if he is still alive. It can't be long now.....

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #836 on: September 01, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
Whilst I'm sure you will be sad to see him go Sue, I actually read this as quite a happy story...it's really nice to know that he has had a comfortable life and is passing away peacefully at the end.

Sending positive vibes...  :wave:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #837 on: September 01, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
Thank you Matt. Yes, I will be sad to see him go, but it is also sad to see him the way he is now, so in many ways it will be a relief when he dies.
He has been the healthiest betta I've ever had. He has had no illnesses just a burned tail from sitting on the heater bracket - and that healed so well you can't tell anything had happened to it. He is just fading away.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #838 on: September 01, 2017, 10:22:32 PM »
Very sorry to read about this, @Sue - may he pass peacefully, having led a fulfilled life with a human who gave him the best life a betta could have.

Offline Littlefish

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka Donna
« Reply #839 on: September 02, 2017, 09:10:08 AM »
Sorry to hear about your betta @Sue
He's a magnificent fish and has reached a great age. He couldn't have asked for a more caring owner or a more comfortable life.
You've looked after him so well, which I hope is some consolation at this sad time.
It's difficult to see a fish fade, so in the nicest possible way, I hope it's not over a prolonged period.
My thoughts are with you and your betta.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #840 on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »
Thank you both.

Bettas are not long lived fish, the oldest I ever heard of was 5 years but that was exceptional. And I do wonder if the varieties with the biggest tails die earlier having worn themselves out through carrying all that weight.

They have personality so we become attached to them. They are pets rather than 'just fish'. I will be sad to see him go.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #841 on: September 03, 2017, 01:21:31 AM »
Sorry to hear about your betta, Sue.  Totally agree that they're very personal with distinct personalities.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #842 on: September 09, 2017, 08:47:32 PM »
A film is on and, predictably, I'm distracted by the fishtank in it (supposed to be a background feature), attempting to identify its dimensions, brand and whether there are actually any fish in it at all (I don't see any)...

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #843 on: September 09, 2017, 09:33:19 PM »
Fish called Wanda by any chance?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #844 on: September 10, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
Today is our ruby wedding anniversary and yesterday evening our son and daughter-in-law took us for a meal in a local pub-restaurant. We had to walk past a fish tank to get to our table, and once again when we left. I wasn't allowed to stop and look at it properly  >:(

It must have been about 100 litres, and 45cm tall, if that, and it contained 2 angelfish, the orange black and white blotchy type, one penguin tetra and one albino cory.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #845 on: September 10, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
Fish called Wanda by any chance?
"Begin Again". Nothing remotely to do with fish but my "fish tank radar" is constantly switched on and everything else about a film (eg characters, plot) is secondary.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #846 on: September 10, 2017, 04:59:00 PM »
Terrarium anyone...?

My latest creation for our kitchen... not quite fish related but I thought it might be of interest to some.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #847 on: September 10, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
Is that a Sansevieria at the back, or something like an aloe or Hawarthia?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
« Reply #848 on: September 10, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »
Lol no idea I threw the label away already... wait... bin tells me it's a Sansevieria.  Good plant knowledge Sue!

Basically, my wife isnt allowing any additional fish tanks just yet (dont worry im working on it...) so I've started making "plant tanks" instead.

:rotfl:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #849 on: September 10, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »
If it is a Sansevieria I have three of those in the lounge. Two are the dwarf rosette types (one has green leaves with yellow edges and the other green leaves with white bands across the leaf) and the third is tall one (green with yellow edges). There is also a tall version that has green leaves with white markings. Hopefully, yours is the rosette type.
The tall ones do send out highly perfumed flowers  :)

The cactus with three ears looks suspiciously like a tall one - be warned! But the two little ones should stay small. And they should flower.

Watch out for mealy bug. They are very hard to kill.

Have I mentioned the tray of cacti on our kitchen widow ledge  ::)

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today!

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today (see below)

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a one off Donation or a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Starting from less than 2p per day; your subscription will help fund new articles, pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: