Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206080 times) 1923 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #940 on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I love the phrase "broody for new fish". That's how I feel. But I need to finish my aquascaping first. But buying new fish is so much less time consuming!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #941 on: November 25, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »
That's how I was a couple of months ago. I really missed having honey gouramis and since I now have all Asian fish they are a perfect match. I gave in and got a trio even though I know I am rather heavily stocked  :-[

I just had a thought - how about a pair of peacock gudgeons/gobies? They are fine in a tank with a floor of 45 x 30 cm. Some shops sell them as gobies, some as gudgeons. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tateurndina-ocellicauda/

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #942 on: November 25, 2017, 04:11:58 PM »
Peacock gudgeons/gobies are an option, thanks, @Sue - may need to put some more limestone rock in the tank to harden it up a bit more from the tap water's 1.52 German degrees, though...

@Helen - your fish will have a lovely reward when you finish your aquascaping; I do envy those skills.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #943 on: November 25, 2017, 04:55:36 PM »
If it weren't so cruel to keep shrimp in such a small environment, I'd actually possibly manage to find the space for this http://www.prezzybox.com/shrimp-world-ecosystem.aspx - not quite satisfying the fish broodiness but perhaps taking the edge of it somewhat...

Offline Sue

« Reply #944 on: November 25, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
I just hope they mean brine shrimps in that 0.5 litres :o

If you want a very small tank to alleviate your fish broodiness, brine shrimps are marketed as sea monkeys and lots of places sell mini tanks for keeping them in  ;)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #945 on: November 25, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
Thanks for the compliment @fcmf , but I'm not entirely convinced I actually have any aquascaping skills. I can do the science bit, but to be honest, the plants do the artistic bit themselves. My tank always looks better when I've given up trying to arrange the plants and just leave them to spread on their own.

I always struggle to get the plants as close together as they appear in the professionally aquascaped tanks. The other thing I find difficult is to get any depth. So this time I intend to put in a sand 'path' and have got some more plants that will be different heights to ones I already had. You'll have to let me know what you think when I finally get there. Here's to hoping if even vaguely resembles the image in my head!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #946 on: November 25, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks, folks - just wish I didn't completely freak out every time I see a plec/oto sucking on the body of a dead fish, otherwise a dwarf BN plec would have been ideal as they're otherwise very cute. Yes, it's looking as though my little 54-litre tank definitely needs an extension built onto it then...

You are more likely to see a BN feeding on the tank glass with the mouth movement similar to that of a sock puppet. Strangely funny in an adorable way.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #947 on: November 26, 2017, 12:19:42 PM »
Argh - feeling intensely broody for new fish
Argh - I thought I had it bad yesterday but this is on another level today, not helped by the fact that I indulged/tortured myself further by managing a visit to the LFS. One option of a small shoaling fish puts me at risk of 100%/120% stocking (depending on whether I count my filtration system of 2 filters as oversized internal or just internal), another option means I'm going to have to address my fear of freaking out over BN plecs sucking on dead fish, another option of tempting cories again puts me at risk of overstocking if I go for 6 (although SF's recommendation is a bit loose re minimum numbers)... 
:yikes:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #948 on: November 26, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »
Oh dear, you went to the LFS whilst already feeling broody.  ::)
(puts head in hands)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #949 on: November 26, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
There is now a poll available, awaiting folks' votes on how I should proceed...
:D

[NB. I have had pygmy cories before - unsure what exactly caused their demise but, this time round, the tank is more mature, has live plants and I'd opt for 8 rather than 6, if that were the route I went down.]

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #950 on: November 26, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
My vote goes for otocinclus, though I'd go for 2 or 3 only to keep from overstocking the tank.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #951 on: November 26, 2017, 04:17:40 PM »
I've never seen my BN Plec sucking on a dead fish. And I've had quite a few dead fish since Bertie has been in the tank (whole shoal of cardinal tetras reached old age).

How do I see the poll?

Offline Sue

« Reply #952 on: November 26, 2017, 04:19:32 PM »
Just to be awkward I'll comment on the fish in your poll instead of voting -
Trilineatus cories are bit big for your tank
Does your tank grow enough algae for otos? They can be tricky to feed without enough algae
I'd forgotten your water is softer than mine, so maybe not peacock gudgeons
Pygmy cories do better with 10+
Microdevario & ember tetras a lovely little fish, I've kept them both  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #953 on: November 26, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
*cough* get a bigger tank *cough*

Anyway, a shoal of small fish would be nice, or some otos (I originally bought 6 otos for my betta tank, but most of them died within the first 2 days in the quarantine tank and I now only have 2, although I'd like to get more at some point).

I'm trying not to be a bad influence, but you know my approach to these things...
*cough* another tank *cough*

Offline fcmf

« Reply #954 on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:24 PM »
Thanks, folks - all very helpful.

@Littlefish - I absolutely agree that another tank is the way forward - but I think a house move would be required in order to accommodate it (or "the fish room" that I really want).

The various comments and other issues arising from them played around in my head all evening and during the night, with the productive result that I woke up at some unearthly hour this morning with my answer, including a strategic plan for the tank over the next decade! My definitive decision will be revealed in due course - but, for various reasons, it might be into January before I implement it.
:fishy1:

In the meantime, I'll just have to make do with my main tank and my tiny 80x75x45 mm toy aquarium.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #955 on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:28 PM »
The 14 baby BNs have all gone to the LFS, hopefully to find happy new homes.

Offline Sue

« Reply #956 on: November 30, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
My betta, the one I got a couple of months ago, has finrot in his tail. I noticed a few splits on Friday when i did a water change, so knowing that finrot is caused by stress and/or water conditions and is usually cured by extra water changes, I did another water change on Saturday and again on Sunday. He got worse. On Monday i managed to get to the shop to buy some eSHa 2000, and his tail has stopped disintegrating and is showing signs of regrowth. I think, it might be wishful thinking  :-\

I also considered why he should be stressed. His water conditions were perfect, so not that. But he has been very agitated about the nerite snail, so I took that out of his tank. And very agitated about his refection. Until the weekend, his tank light came on 2 pm to 8 pm. The weather has been so dim recently that having a light inside the tank and dimness outside meant he could see his refection. His light now comes on at 5 pm after we turn the room light on.

But there has been a casualty. I had hornwort in the tank, some weighted down and the rest floating. This morning I had a lot of bare stems and leaves on the bottom of the tank. It took ages hoovering up all the leaves. I've moved a few pieces of water sprite over from the big tank - bettas appreciate cover, and I don't know whether I have many bacteria left in the filter as the plants will use most of the ammonia, so I needed more plants just in case.

I know from previous experience hornwort does not like Seachem Flourish Excel, and it would appear it doesn't like eSHa 2000 either.

So a word of warning to those who have hornwort in their tanks - be careful about adding medication!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #957 on: November 30, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »
Sorry to read about your betta and hope the eSHa 2000 is indeed helping his tail to regrow.

Your post is particularly interesting - and it's actually resolved an issue in my own tank, albeit not to do with hornwort. The wound-prone female tetra has been physically very healthy lately and I'd discovered that her most recent problems seemed to have been caused by over-indulging in snail food. However, this week, she'd been swimming up and down the glass beside the heater, shooting up to the water surface and then diving down, as though very stressed about something. However, I couldn't put my finger on what it was at all. I now realise that it's because the room light had been off for much of the daytime but the tank light on +/- a table lamp to the side and above the height of the tank on during some of the daytime plus the evening in addition to the room light in the evening. Since reading your post and keeping the table lamp off, the problem has resolved itself. Thanks, Sue! ;D

Now I just need to re-arrange the tank slightly in my latest effort to stop my harlequin tyrant from taking possession of the entire tank...

Offline Sue

« Reply #958 on: November 30, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
It occurred to me that when it is dark outside and the room light is on the window is like a mirror. I realised that is what it was like for the betta - light inside his tank and darker outside - so it was like him having a mirror against the tank wall.

I can see transparent membrane on the edge of his tail, so fingers crossed.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #959 on: November 30, 2017, 10:31:49 PM »
Fingers crossed for a full recovery for your betta.
I'm sure he'll be feeling better soon.

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: