Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]

Author Topic: Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]  (Read 206216 times) 1923 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Think Fish Keepers Daily News.
« Reply #900 on: October 05, 2017, 07:53:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Have you tried the fish on live/frozen food? Most fish will eat that when they won't eat anything else. i don't mean to feed bloodworm etc exclusively, just to see if he will eat some then you'll know he can eat.
I would very much advocate buying the garlic-infused frozen food. My LFS advocated it (the brine shrimp in my case given the fish I have), plus some Microbe-Lift Herbtana, when my x-ray tetra was in poorly recently. I only bought the garlic-infused brine shrimp - but what a "hit" it has been among everyone from the outset and causes widespread excitement in a way no other food does. Even the two small harlies, who can be very fussy about what food to take if it's not the right size/shape/texture, and who generally ignore the standard frozen food in the tropical fish quartet or spit it out, zoom off at top speed to capture this and munch away happily on it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #901 on: October 05, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
I'd forgotten about garlic! If you have your own garlic press or garlic juice you can soak dry food in that as well as adding some to defrosting frozen food.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #902 on: October 10, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »
May have found the answer to running out of space for more tanks.
Not sure how the filtration would work, but.....

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #903 on: October 10, 2017, 08:13:21 PM »
I think the worst tank design I've seen recently are half fish bowls that screw in the the wall like a picture.  How on earth your expected to heat, filter etc. tanks like that I have no idea.

Offline Sue

« Reply #904 on: October 10, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
I think the fish in keyrings sold in the far east a few years ago beat that  :( http://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/04/live-fish-and-reptiles-sold-as.html

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #905 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:07 PM »
I forgot about that... absolutely disgusting and I'm probably more open to cultural differences than most. That is wrong through and through.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #906 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:06 PM »
I've seen pictures of the wall-mounted half bowls, but luckily I've never seen them for sale in any shop.
I'd never heard of the keyring ones before.
Really wish I hadn't clicked on the link.
Words fail me.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #907 on: October 16, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
Well, passed my GCSE's good enough for college and im in the mood to totally re-do my tank. The whiptails, julii, tetras and siamese flying fox are going in the 190L and im keeping the panda corydoras, guppy, glass cats and khuli loaches in my 55L as im thining about shrimp... Any suggestions and sorry for my long break!

Apache6467

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #908 on: October 16, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »
Many congratulations on your exam results @apache6467   :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #909 on: October 16, 2017, 10:15:15 PM »
One suggestion if you get different coloured shrimp which can breed together (eg. caridina sp.) They will often produce grey/brown dull offspring which you may wish to avoid. Of course keeping something like red cherry shrimp with amano shrimp as I do avoids this issue.

Offline Sue

« Reply #910 on: October 17, 2017, 09:51:32 AM »
Congrats on the exam results  :)
What is the next step for you? I know you've mentioned college, but doing what exactly?

With shrimps you meed to make sure that different shrimp species need the same water parameters - pH, harness and temperature - just the same as for fish.
Red cherry shrimps are the easiest. There are different colours (orange, yellow, blue, chocolate) but these are more delicate having been selectively bred from red cherries, which in their turn were selectively bred from the brownish wild ones.
Amanos and ghost/glass shrimps are next easiest.
Crystal reds & blacks are harder, as are things like tiger shrimps.

The best source of info on shrimps is Planet Inverts

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #911 on: October 17, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
I have my eye on a couple of bamboo shrimp...something a bit different.  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #912 on: October 21, 2017, 06:36:24 PM »
The fair is in town. It takes place in the High Street which is closed on Tuesday evening as the fair gets itself into position, then again on Thursday evening, Friday evening and 10.45 am to midnight on Saturday while the fair is open. Most of the small shops close for the week.
We needed to go to the supermarket this morning and were there as the horse flashing took place, and the mayor and his entourage were driven up the High Street in a covered contraption pulled by a steam engine. While this was going on, the fair people were getting ready to open for the day.

And I was sickened to see the stalls that are still giving away goldfish as prizes. So much for all the petitions calling for this to be banned.

I do wonder if this practice will ever be banned  :(

Offline fcmf

« Reply #913 on: October 21, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »
@Sue - I think you need to station yourself beside such a stall and provide some educational advice to prospective participants about goldfish care and requirements. :fishy1: It's events such as these which perpetuate the belief that goldfish are way down the hierarchy of pets.

The tetra with the various injuries has had the brightest tail of all the tetras for the past week. She has also taken a keen liking for the snail food - Snail Stixx which are to prevent the snail's shell from eroding in my very soft water - and has found a way of sneaking into his miniature clay pot to munch on it at any opportunity, even when he's buried in the dissolved food. I thought I'd managed to position it facing one of the tank walls and thus avoid her from accessing it but she's learned quickly how to do so. She's now guarding the pot and shooing anyone away who comes within the vicinity - I think she thinks she's a cichlid guarding her fry!
:fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #914 on: October 21, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
That's good news about the tetra  :)

Apparently in England and Wales the Animal Welfare Act 2006 did almost ban goldfish at fairs then at the last minute the very influential fairground industry got it changed from a total ban to a ban on giving fish to under 16 year olds unless there was an adult present. Scotland did manage to ban the giving of animals as prizes "except where it is offered in a family context".
There is more than one stall at our fair. I'd need an army of helpers - assuming the fair people didn't get me removed.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #915 on: October 21, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
@fcmf glad to hear that your tetra is doing well, even if she has taken over the snail food & pot.  :D

@Sue it's a shame that fish can still be given as prizes. They are usually kept in such attrocious conditions on the stall, and are then given to people without any further information (not even a leaflet) on caring for the fish. I can't imagine this happening with any other animal. Imagine the uproar if there was a stall with loads of hamsters in little cages...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #916 on: November 05, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
I would love to know what goes on in the mindset of a fish.

I have one harlequin who takes possession of the middle third of the tank for the duration of the afternoon and sends every intruder well out of range. Some of the male tetras appear to tease and seem to try sneaking in to the area when another is being chased, checking for the harlequin's whereabouts before darting into the space, only to be chased out of it seconds later by the harlequin who seems increasingly angry.

This afternoon, the harlequin has taken a dislike to the wound-prone female tetra who normally takes possession of the adjacent third of the tank to the right but who is quite happy to share this area with one of the male tetras and the smallest harlequin (while everyone else is confined to the remaining third of the tank). The harlequin is not only forbidding anyone to enter his usual territory but is terrorising the wound-prone female tetra out of hers. The smallest harlequin is allowed to stay there and the other female tetra (who has uncharacteristically moved from her current usual spot on the extreme left of the tank to be in the wound-prone female tetra's spot) is allowed to stay there. The wound-prone female tetra's male friend and this territorial harlequin are involved in a series of heavy spats - I admire the male tetra's loyalty towards his companion. Oooh, would I love to know what this is all about, though...  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #917 on: November 09, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
Note to self: be more careful when checking the catappa leaf as the snail's colouring must be similar! Did a water change a day earlier than usual and discarded the decomposing catappa leaf after checking both sides (or so I thought). Clink as it hit the bottom of the bucket. Poor snail was asleep and attached to it. :yikes: Maybe just as well that I didn't chuck it in on the top of the water, otherwise I wouldn't have heard the clink...

Offline Sue

« Reply #918 on: November 09, 2017, 09:38:25 PM »
I have several nerite snails of different species. I have two of one type, and I must have a male and female because if they are in the same tank there are soon hundreds of eggs everywhere. So one is in my betta's tank, the other is in my community tank.
I have a slight algae problem in the betta's tank and the nerite is slowly vanishing under a carpet of algae on its shell.
I did my weekly water changes this afternoon and spotted the other one of them in a very convenient position in the big tank, so I swapped them. Within a minute, the algae covered snail had two shrimps climbing all over it. I'm hoping they can clean it up for me as scraping the algae with my finger nail does not remove it.

If I hadn't been in the middle of a water change with wet hands I would have taken a photo but by the time I could take a photo the snail and its cleaners had vanished into the undergrowth  :(

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #919 on: November 09, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
Anyone heard of "red chillies" shrimp? My LFS has them and they appear to be just like RCS but i can find no information on them? Same price, so im getting them on Saturday, just getting your thoughts

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Think Fish Keepers Daily News. [2016-2019]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
49 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 03:11:56 PM
by Robert
3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
by Deleted User
0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2018, 03:40:31 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 04:10:31 PM
by Robert
168 Replies
Last post December 20, 2020, 08:43:20 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 20, 2021, 04:07:14 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post March 01, 2022, 06:44:56 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: